Senior's Remote for Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Senior's Remote for Ignite TV

The new Ignite TV is slick.  However, for seniors it is very difficult to navigate.  My mom needs a remote that I can program on/off, channel up/down and volume up/down.  Ideally I can include only the subscribed channels (favourites).  I have seen some basic remotes with large buttons on Amazon.   I am just not sure if Ignite TV remotes functions can be simulated.

Has anyone tried to mimic the Ignite TV remote?   I think it can be done with the Harmony but I want to do with with a simple remote.

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Senior's Remote for Ignite TV

Here's a previous recent thread on the topic. Of course you need to ensure that the remote has the codes for the Ignite devices.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Looking-for-a-simple-replacement-universal-remote/m-p/43431...

I Plan to Stick Around

That link is for the digital cable remote, right?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RS-111 wrote:

That link is for the digital cable remote, right?

The link was for discussions regarding the digital cable remote, however, what's important is if the remote that you "like" has the IR codes for the device(s) you wish to control - in this case I assume the Rogers Ignite box and the TV.

There were several suggestions in that thread and you'd need to check with the manufacturer(s) to see if the particular remote is compatible with what you want to do.  The manufacturers typically add "IR codes" over time to handle newer devices.

Of course, the remotes that were discussed are IR, while the Ignite box(es) can accept both IR and RF.  The Smaller DTA remote would likely not be compatible with Ignite, but I'm not sure about the compatibility of all the "senior" remotes available online.

I Plan to Stick Around

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Big-Button-Remote-Television/dp/B01LY0FCQO

This is an example of one of the remotes that I could use.   I have not been able to determine if it could be trained.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Based on the reviews and Q/As on the Amazon website by several users, this is a "learning" remote that can be taught any IR codes using the remotes for the TV and cable box to "teach" them.  No guarantees, but it looks like it'll work when properly taught.  I have seen this remote in previous discussions in this forum, however, I don't recall seeing any feedback regarding it here.

I don't know if the on/off button will turn both the TV and the box off/on at the same time (called "master power").  If it doesn't, you might have issues with the Rogers Ignite box. My understanding is that it will go into standby after a few hours and I'm not sure if it'll "wake up" with the TV (via HDMI CEC) or not, if "master power" is not an option with this remote.  With the old digital cable boxes you could leave the Rogers box "on", but even then, if there is a power failure, the box would be "off" when you went to watch TV and the box would have needed to be turned on.  Good Luck.

I Plan to Stick Around

Is the Rogers Ignite TV remote RF or IR?  

I believe the STB is an Arris Xi6?   

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The box can receive either IR or RF. The remote sends IR for devices that need IR like the TV or audio device. I'm not sure if it always sends RF for the box or if it can send IR as an option in the setup.  If you had two boxes in nearby rooms, you'd want to have IR for the box so that one wouldn't interfere with the other, so I assume it can be set to IR.

Looks like it needs to be "paired" to do RF.  See:

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr11-2/

I Plan to Stick Around

When I put my hand over the remote it still seems to respond so I am pretty sure that the Rogers Ignite TV remote is RF.   Therefore, I cannot train the other remote.  The Arris Xi6 STB apparently is the same Comcast X1 uses?   Anyway,  I will have to experiment with codes for Comcast to see if I can get the "Seniors" remote to work.  It may be that the STB is not configured for IR?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RS-111 wrote:

It may be that the STB is not configured for IR?

The box can definitely receive IR, as many people use the IR Harmony remotes to control it.  Do you already have the senior remote and have you tried teaching it, or is this still in the research stage?