cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Cameras Not Connecting to Ignite Modem

Christina73
I've been around

Can someone please tell me why my camara system not Rogers will not connect to the ignite modem, everything else works amazing!

**Labels Added**

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Security Cameras Not Connecting to Ignite Modem

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Are they Wifi? 2.4ghz or 5ghz? Possibly because the Modem wifi is set up for bandwidth steering. 

If you can go into your Ignite modem wifi config and rename the 5ghz wifi to something different than the 2.4ghz.

Then try again.

Others may also have more suggestions.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Christina73  I agree, this is most likely an incompatibility with Band Steering.  I wrote up an explanation here a few months ago as to why this causes problems for some devices but I will summarize the key points below.

With Band Steering in effect, you configure the same network name on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and the WiFi Access Point "steers" the WiFi client to the most optimal band, which is typically the 5 GHz network.  When I say "steering", it accomplishes this by ignoring association requests on one band and only allows the WiFi client to (initially) connect to the other band where the AP wants the connection to take place.

Band Steering typically causes problems in the following two cases:

• You have a 5 GHz-capable device that insists on connecting on the 2.4 GHz band... but with Band Steering enabled, the WiFi Access Point will only allow that client to connect at 5 GHz.  Eventually, the AP will relent and respond to the connection attempts on the 2.4 GHz band but by that time, the client may have given up trying... and told the user that the connection attempt failed.
  • It also causes problems for WiFi clients that use "passive listening" to discover WiFi networks.  That won't work when Band Steering is enabled because the AP doesn't advertise network names in its beacon frames in this configuration... and because the network name is not being broadcast, the legacy WiFi client is unable to discover your WiFi network and display it in the list of available networks.

Band Steering is becoming commonplace these days and any incompatibilities can usually be fixed with a software/firmware update on the client device... unless the vendor has stopped supporting that device and is no longer offering updates.

Band Steering also needs to be enabled in order for the Ignite Pods to work.  I don't know what Rogers suggests for a workaround if you have Pods but also need to disable Band Steering, temporarily or permanently.

B-a-n-e
I plan to stick around

I had a similar problem.  Through online chat one of the Rogers techs was able to remotely configure my modem to run both the dual band channel and also a separate 2.4 channel.  I reset my cameras and connections and used the 2.4 channel when setting them back-up and they work fine now.  I can access them from my tablet etc. which is back on the dual band channel but the cameras themselves need to be on the 2.4 wifi channel.  

Jackmagic
I've been around

Initially I had the same problem going from Hitron to Ignite. I had set my Airsight cameras to static ip connection so when the switch to Ignite happened my cameras would not automatically adjust to the new IP settings going from 192.168.0.1 to 10.0.0.1 and on the Ignite modem the search tool wouldn't see the cameras so I could access the setting to make the change, I directly wired the cams to the Ignite modem and pushed the reset button on the cam for 30 seconds (just to be sure) which will reset to factory settings and then the search tool will see it and you can get the cam set to the Ignite modem ip. First, Make separate the 5Ghz from 2.4Ghz as well.

mesele
I've been around

how can I connect my security camera with WiFi

Hello, @mesele

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We will need more details before we can assist you with connecting your security camera. 

• What is the make and model of the camera?
  • Is the camera compatible with 5G Wi-Fi?
  • What is happening when you try to connect the camera?

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 in conversation