Screensaver is Freezing on TV Startup

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Screensaver is Freezing on TV Startup

I apologize if I left the impression that there was more issues than just Ignite. There is not. We here in Ottawa do have spotty Rogers service and of course, Ignite is all wireless. When Rogers goes out, everything goes out.
I have whatever Rogers techs installed. 2 set top boxes and 2 pods. I have no more devices than when I had the "old" Rogers System.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp  Thanks.  So services like Netflix and Prime Video work fine but Ignite TV does not?  Ignite TV basically works by "live streaming" TV channels, similar to how it also streams On-demand programming and content stored on the Cloud PVR.  It should work as well (or better) than any other Internet-based streaming service.

I'm still concerned about the heath of the network connectivity for the set-top box in your initial post.  Your Ignite TV difficulties could be caused by something as simple as a bad Pod.

Feel free to also post your modem's signal and error stats as well.  Log into your modem, go to "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network" and copy/paste the Downstream, Upstream, and CM Error Codewords tables, as well as the System Uptime for your modem .  We can then at least give you a second opinion and identify any issues that might also be affecting your Ignite TV service.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

No, Ignite, to me is TV....all TV on my TV. Same happens on Netflix or Prime when I watch TV. I do not watch programming on my devices.
As I have said, I have had the techs here 3 times since installation. Issues are still the same. Oh and, I have a 2 month old Sony TV. It happens on my other TV (Roku)
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp  Where is your XB6 modem/gateway located?  In the basement, with Pods installed in the main living space to expand WiFi coverage?  Also, are you living in an older home with plaster-on-mesh walls or a newer home built with more-WiFi-friendly construction materials?

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

My modem is in the room next to where my TV is. Plus he tech put a pod in the same room as the TV. No plaster on mesh, just drywall.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp wrote:
My modem is in the room next to where my TV is. Plus he tech put a pod in the same room as the TV. No plaster on mesh, just drywall.

That's strange.  I don't see why they would put a Pod there... unless there was something behind the walls, directly between the modem and your set-top box that was totally blocking the WiFi signal, and the Pod was placed in a very strategic position as a literal workaround.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey, 3 techs and that is what they came up with. I still have issues, that is why I am here so, the pod location is not so strategic.
My old modem was in the identical place and I never had issues with WiFi anywhere in the house, including on my deck and, there was no such thing as pods.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp  Given what you just said, I am not convinced that you need Pods.  If installed incorrectly, they can (and have) made WiFi performance worse for some people.

I would try to go back to basics.  Unplug power from all of your set-top boxes and unplug all of your Pods.  Place your XB6 modem out in the open as much as possible; don't try to hide it too much.  Make sure that the cable connection to your modem is good, and reboot the modem by power-cycling it.  (Restarting the modem will reinitialize its Internet connection as well as rescan your local airwaves to pick optimal WiFi channels.)  You should now be in a similar configuration to what you had before you switched to Ignite, when things were working well for you.

Next, perform a speed test using your computer and with your mobile phone over WiFi, ideally within 10 feet of your modem.  Hopefully you should get similar (or better) results than what you ever had before.

If you are now seeing good Internet speeds, bring your Ignite set-top boxes online.  Start by taking your mobile phone to where the nearest set-top box is located.  Check the signal strength and perform a speed test.  If you still have good connectivity in that location, power up the set-top box.  Hopefully, Ignite TV will now work better than it ever did before.

Walk around your house with your mobile phone.  Observe the WiFi signal strength indicator as you walk around.  Perform speed tests.  Identify the areas where WiFi works well and where it works poorly.  Pods should be placed in areas where they still have good connectivity to the XB6 modem but are also close enough to the bad areas that they extend WiFi coverage to that "dead zone" in your home.

For more information about connecting and troubleshooting Pods, see the following support guide: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/ignite-wifi-pods

Pods can also communicate with other Pods to form a mesh.  Add only as many Pods as you need and be strategic and purposeful about where you position them.

I hope this helps.  I don't know why the previous techs did what they did but hopefully, with a few tips, you can make your current setup work a bit better.

Keep in mind that you can also reach out to @CommunityHelps  for their assistance as well.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

I have done all that. The signal seems to be OK. I can take my device outside on my deck and The  WiFi works well, for internet and for streaming and my deck is 50 feet from the modem and through 2 walls and through the siding/patio door.

Interestingly, today, while watching the morning news, the set top box rebooted, on it's own, 3 times in an hour. My WiFi was not disrupted as I was using my laptop at the time. Oh, there it goes again, reboot, as I am typing.

Is there interference? Who knows but I would not be surprised as almost everything is wireless these days, even car starter s LOL

Ignite has been nothing but frustration for me since installation. I see by the number of topics and issues raised by others on this forum alone that Ignite is a problem for many others as well.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp wrote:

Interestingly, today, while watching the morning news, the set top box rebooted, on it's own, 3 times in an hour.

It's not just you.  My STB's rebooted this morning as well.  (Only once, not 3 times, and everything has been working fine since.)

My modem had also rebooted overnight.  Looks like Rogers was doing some work again in my area.  I had noticed minor errors in my modem stats and things appear to be cleaner now.  My modem firmware also got updated with some bug fixes that I had been waiting to test.