cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung tv issues with Rogers ignite TV

bargotti
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I have a 1-year old 55' Samsung UHD TV model RU7100 with latest software update installed.

I had Rogers NextBox working fine on this TV for many months.

I upgraded to Ignite TV and the technician installed the newest TV box and it worked fine for couple of months.

It started acting up where the TV stopped recognizing the TV box and blank screen is displayed.

I opened a support ticket with Rogers, they replaced the box after lots of troubleshooting.

The new box worked and then started acting up after few days and stopped working.

Please note that I have 3 HDMI connections and I also changed the HDMI cable multiple times. Sometimes it workes by itself if I unplug the power from the TV box, or If change the HDMI port. This works about 20% of the time.

I have a gaming console and an Amazon fire stick that are connected to the same TV and both work fine all the time.

Connecting the Rogers TV box to another 10 years old Samsung TV works with no issues. It is just an issue with this TV.

Samsung support told me I have no issues since other devices work fine in all HDMI ports. They updated the software and made sure all settings are as expected.

Rogers support told me since the box works on other TV, then it is a Samsung TV issue.

I am stuck in the middle and unable to enjoy my TV channels as I used it. I cannot buy another TV at this time.

Any ideas where the issue might be?

Thanks,

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Samsung tv issues with Rogers ignite TV

bargotti
I've been here awhile

I ended up calling Samsung support given that I have extended warranty and they dispatched a technician to my house who replaced the TV motherboard. It is the board where all HDMI connectors are connected it. It took him half an hour to replace the board and another half to program the TV and reset settings.

Things work very well now.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bargotti  Welcome to the Community!

HDMI handshake and HDCP issues can be a HUGE pain to resolve.  I've been there.  Things can break when a TV's firmware gets updated or when a device's firmware gets updated.  This certainly wouldn't be the first time that an Ignite set-top box suddenly ran into incompatibility issues with a TV after working fine for several months.  Your replacement set-top box probably worked fine at first since it shipped with older firmware, and then likely broke when its firmware updated.

There are a few things that you can try:

- Moving the Ignite set-top box to a different HDMI input on your TV

- Swapping set-top boxes between TVs, if you have more than one STB.

Which version(s) of the set top box do you have, the Arris Xi6-A (white label on the bottom) or the Technicolor Xi6-T (black label on the bottom)?  If you had another version of the hardware that you could try, it would be interesting to see if it would work any differently.

You can also try changing the video output resolution on the STB.  If you can't get video on your TV and cannot access "Settings / Device Settings / Video Display / Video Output Resolution", you can temporarily change the video output to 1080i by entering the following sequence into the remote: "Exit Exit Exit 1 0 8 0" .  Likewise, you can change the output to 720p with: "Exit Exit Exit 0 7 2 0"

Rogers support told me since the box works on other TV, then it is a Samsung TV issue.

I am stuck in the middle and unable to enjoy my TV channels as I used it. I cannot buy another TV at this time.

Any ideas where the issue might be?

You shouldn't have to buy another TV.  I would push back and remind Rogers that your NextBox worked fine, your other devices work fine, and the replacement Ignite set-top box initially also worked fine.  The question is, why doesn't the Ignite set-top box work now?

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I lean toward the resolution. I had one box that kept trying to use a higher resolution than my TV really supported. By default the box probes and tries to use the highest screen resolution, but it does not always detect properly.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, there is another diagnostic screen on the Xi6 that you can access as follows: Press and hold the "Exit" button for three seconds, then key in, "Down Down 4".  The only useful information for us is on the "A/V Status" page.

I will also point to the HDMI FAQ that @57  has also posted in other threads: https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html

If you are running into handshake issues, changing cables (and cable direction) is the first thing that I would try, then explicitly setting the video output resolution, then disabling HDMI-CEC; anything to simplify the handshake.

Also remember that the magic key sequence in my previous post only temporarily changes the HDMI output setting.  If that works, to make that change permanent, you need to explicitly change the Video Output Resolution again in Settings.

Dropping the video output resolution may get you up and running if the problem has to do with an HDMI or HDCP handshake at 4K.  I'm surprised that this is an issue with a fairly new TV from a popular top-tier brand.

Best of luck with getting this resolved!

bargotti
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the quick response.
I have the Xi6-T (black label on the bottom)
I only have one STB at home.
It is working at the moment but may stop anytime. I checked the video settings and it is showing 16:9, 2160p60 4K UHD (Best Available) . I just changed it to 1080i HD and saved.
I will see how this goes in the next 24 hours and update the thread. Cheers,

rick0415
I've been here awhile

I have a similar issue with the Ignite setup. It will not keep the 4K UHD setting. When I go to Settings/Deivice Settings/Video Display and set it to Best Available which is 4K UHD I can watch 4K stations but next time I turn on the set the 4K UHD is no longer set. One Rogers Tech told me to change the setting for Prefer Best Available Resolution to OFF. That did not work. The last tech told me it won't save that setting because I have the Ignite box and TV running through a Denon AVR-740H receiver. The tv is a Samsung UN55NU7300. It worked fine when I first got the Ignite and just started this issue a few months ago. Might be time to look at another provider.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rick0415 wrote:

When I go to Settings/Device Settings/Video Display and set it to Best Available. 

Instead of selecting best available, select 4K instead. This should "hold" and then not be an issue even going through an AVR.  I have had some issues going through my 10-year old Denon to my Sharp 4K TV when using YouTube on my computer (at various resolutions including 720P, 1080P, etc).  I've changed my connections to go directly to the TV with HDMI and then feeding my Denon audio with an optical out from the TV. 

Make sure you've got the latest firmware updates on the TV and AVR.

Truckf150
I've been around

I have exactly same problem. I have to unplug the tv and plug back in for it to work.  Pain one year old tv...  

bargotti
I've been here awhile

I ended up calling Samsung support given that I have extended warranty and they dispatched a technician to my house who replaced the TV motherboard. It is the board where all HDMI connectors are connected it. It took him half an hour to replace the board and another half to program the TV and reset settings.

Things work very well now.

Hope this helps.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 in conversation