cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung one remote and Arris xi6-T

StuartRadford
I plan to stick around

Ignite TV installed last Saturday. I now have to use two remotes to control Samsung UN43MU6300. I would like to control Ignite using Samsung One remote only. There is a Reddit post that states a senior technician was able to do this. I have paired remote but the channel shows "not available" on screen, but the volume can be changed.
Can I use Samsung remote only to control Ignite?

*Added Labels***

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Samsung one remote and Arris xi6-T

RogersTony

Hello, @StuartRadford

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

It is definitely a lot more convenient to use one remote you are comfortable with rather than having to bounce back and forth between two remotes to do specifics tasks on your TV.

While I wish we had the steps readily available to pair a third-party remote to the Xi6 boxes, we are only provided with the steps to pair the XR11 and XR15 Voice Remotes. It is possible to pair third-party remotes on the Ignite TV platform as many users in the Community are using harmony remotes to control all of their devices.

I will tag in some of our Ignite TV experts to chime in and hopefully provide some insight. @Gdkitty, @-G-

If there is anyone in the Community who has successfully paired the Samsung One remote with the Xi6 set-top box, please don't hesitate to chime in and provide the steps used to accomplish this.

RogersTony

StuartRadford
I plan to stick around
On YouTube I have watched "Unboxing and setup of xfinity Comcasy Xi6-T box". The video is 28:33 long, but at 10:12 it asks question "Would you like to control your TV using your remote? Yes/ not now.
Is this what Roger's installer sees? Can Samsung One Remote be introduced at this time?

Yes thats the same menu here that is seen during the setup.

Though, the issue is, what this is doing, is sending the TV information, to the already paired remote.
Not what your trying to do.

The boxes themselves, do have an IR receiver, and they can receive the right signals from another remote to be able to control stuff.
As mentioned, the harmony remotes work well.  BUT I know with those, they are programmed via the computer, you use the computer to have it send to the remote, the list of all the IR codes that will work.

Not sure how your remote learns the codes.
A lot of universal remotes have to learn the codes via IR broadcast to them and they pick it up and learn it.
But the comcast remote, not broadcasting IR for the box stuff, you cant have it learn from that remote.

StuartRadford
I plan to stick around
Thank you for your response. I have read it a couple of times and to be honest it is beyond my knowledge base. I don't really understand IR and RF, but I did discover that Samsung One remote operates on RF. As a layman I can't comprehend why the Samsang remote can change the volume up and down but the remote cannot change channel up and down. So to summarize are you telling me that I have a series 6 Samsung tv that I can't control with the manufacturers remote? A remote I can operate with one hand but have to use the Ignite remote which I find cumbersome and not user friendly.

@StuartRadford wrote:
....the Samsang remote can change the volume up and down but the remote cannot change channel up and down. 

Because it's controlling the TV, not the Ignite box.  IR is InfraRed - its the method used to control most equipment and you typically have to be in the same room for it to work.  RF is Radio Frequency and can be used from further away - from another room on the home for example, or if the device you're trying to control is "hidden" somewhere.  I doubt the TV remote is RF.  

StuartRadford
I plan to stick around
Internet notes that xfinity has a beta app for Samsung TV. Is this available and compatible with Ignite? Would it solve my problem?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

XFinity Beta app for Samsung TV as I read it. Basically places the Xi6 media stream box software on the TV as an app thus now requiring the Xi6 box itself. All through the TV.

Don't think this is available for Ignite and IMHO, I highly doubt it will be. Way too advanced support techs.

StuartRadford
I plan to stick around
This inability to use Samsung remote, is obviously only an issue with me. Although I think you should display a caveat in your literature that Samsung remotes will be disabled

StuartRadford
I plan to stick around
YouTube video "Samsing TV remote + Xfinity X1" summarizes my thoughts. At beginning of video two remotes are displayed. Presenter states "I prefer to use this one." I agree with his choice, but can't.

StuartRadford
I plan to stick around
Still battling the ignite system.
During set up there is a section "cable or Satellite Contril Test". I think I have a Arris Xi6-T box (please confirm) when will this box be an option in "search model number field?

StuartRadford
I plan to stick around
Does Rogers have a xi4 box to use with Ignite?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

They are currently using Xi6-T boxes.  I have the Xi6-A versions. Not sure what the difference is.

Bill

@StuartRadford wrote:
Does Rogers have a xi4 box to use with Ignite?

I've been reading this thread and am still unclear as to exactly what you are trying to get working.  Did you install the "Xfinity Stream" app on your Samsung TV and is this what you are trying to get working with Ignite TV?

Simon14
I've been here awhile
I have this working. My Samsung remote is controlling both my tv and my ignite box over RF (not IR). The secret is to set up the remote to control Comcast and go from there. Once.the setup is complete for IR, go and enable RF. you'll get a code to pair. Enter it and everything works.

Hello, @Simon14.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums and thank you for sharing the pairing technique of Samsung remote with Ignite TV box. I appreciate your contribution and thank you for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Soul2k
I've been here awhile
I have done the setup under Comcast and have IR working, how exactly do you "go and enable RF" ?

Simon14
I've been here awhile
Go to the remote icon in Samsung hub, click up and you should see an option to enable RF.

Simon14
I've been here awhile
Once this is working, the right bar on the remote brings up the Rogers guide, and selecting the home icon for Comcast on the Samsung hub brings up the main Rogerz menu.

Soul2k
I've been here awhile
Weird, it seems my Samsung TV (MU8000) doesn't have any options on the remote icon. I guess mine only supports IR. Thanks for the explanation hopefully it will help others who have this option on their Samsung TV.

Simon14
I've been here awhile
I'm assuming this is the same for all Samsung models. I have a 65' Q80.
Topic Stats