cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers ignite Gateway/wifi hub having to reset frequently?

jim43bob
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers ignite Gateway/wifi hub having to reset twice in one week??

Any idea why I should have to reset/reboot my gateway twice in one week? Had Ignite for approx two months now with no real problem till now? If anyone can help appreciated. I will have to give Rogers as a last resort!

Many thanks

Jim

*Added Labels*

7 REPLIES 7

Rogers ignite Gateway/wifi hub having to reset frequently?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jim43bob  What sort of problem were you trying to fix by rebooting the modem?

Once in a blue moon, you might run into a problem where it can take several seconds to change channels.; This is likely due to your IPv6 connectivity breaking for some reason.  Resetting the modem resets the network which usually gets things working again.  Sometimes you may need to follow that my resetting the Ignite TV set-top boxes as well.

If it's some other problem... video freezing, periodic audio drop-outs, changes in picture quality every few seconds, slow download speeds... resetting the modem might seem to help but the root cause is likely something else, and that's why the problem comes back again.

You should not have to be constantly resetting the Ignite TV equipment.  If the same problems do keep coming back, you need to reach out to a Rogers support team for further assistance.  You can either call in to Tech Support or send a private message to @CommunityHelps .

Re: Rogers ignite Gateway/wifi hub having to reset frequently?

Thanks for the bump @-G-!

Yes, @jim43bob should absolutely reach out to us. Constant issues requiring a reboot is not normal behaviour. We can help him with this.

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hello

I am having the same issue, but i have to reboot it every time I want to use it.  Worked fine for 2 months, then in March had to do this.  Is there a fix or should the unit be replaced?

Thank you

Andrew

Hello, @AndrewSuggitt.

Thank you for joining this discussion and welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

Having to reboot every time to use the service is quite disappointing. We'd love to help find a solution for you, please answer the following:

• Are you rebooting the STB or the modem?
  • Do you find all the connected devices including the TVs stopped working? Hence you are rebooting the modem?
  • What is the status of the light on the modem before rebooting?
  • Do you have a 3rd party router in use?
  • Do you have the Ignite WiFi Pods?

More details can help in isolating the issue, looking forward to hearing from you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I had replied, but it does not appear here.  To answer the questions:

Rebooting the ignite box, the modem seems fine

All other devices continue to work fine, no issues.

Model lights are fine

No 3rd party router

Yes, we do have the pods.

Alex4161
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I am also having similar issues where changing channels take some time and the image quality  shudders.  Rebooting the modem/set top boxes help but the better solution would be to fix the wiring issue I am having.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 wrote:

I am also having similar issues where changing channels take some time and the image quality  shudders.  Rebooting the modem/set top boxes help but the better solution would be to fix the wiring issue I am having.  

Something definitely is not right here...  it looks like your set-top box is experiencing some network issues but you need to take a closer look at the symptoms to determine what's actually causing the problem.

Re: changing channels take some time -- I've seen two different things that cause that:

In one case, when I change the channel, the set-top box responds to button presses BUT the channel does not start streaming immediately; I see the "three dots" for a few seconds, then the picture displays normally.  The same problem occurs on other set-top boxes and I also find that some apps on my iPhone are slow to connect to their back-end servers as well.  In this case, IPv6 connectivity is broken and this definitely impacts Ignite TV.  The fix is to reboot/power-cycle the modem followed by restarting your set-top boxes.

I also saw another problem recently where one of my set-top boxes was "unhappy".  I saw picture quality issues, audio/video drop-outs, even a black screen from time to time.  The STB was also sometimes sluggish to respond to button presses.  The STB was also slow in changing channels... but it took only one second, not several seconds, and I didn't see the "three dots" for several seconds.  This is indicative of a network connectivity problem on the set-top box itself.  (No other devices or set-top boxes were experiencing any issues.)  It's usually caused by a poor Wi-Fi connection and could also be indicative of a faulty set-top box.

Video quality issues on Ignite TV can also be caused by excessive network latency (basically, network packets get delayed in transit) and/or slow network speeds.  This problem would likely affect other streaming services as well.  This problem can be hard for even Rogers to diagnose because the signal to your modem could be just fine.

What's frustrating is that unless you have access to advanced tools or use network equipment that allow you to effectively troubleshoot network connection issues, you can easily miss (and even erroneously rule out!) the actual root cause and the problem can persist while you go on a wild goose chase trying to find a fix.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation