cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers XiONE TV box, audio setting issue with Denon AVR

raymate
I've been here awhile

Just got ignite and I’m having issue with audio not coming on after we have powered town TV and Denon the next time we switch it all back on.

Set the box audio to expert mode, the Denon shows Dolby Digital + symbol and the audio work.

Switch it off. Next day when I switch on the only get the picture and no audio

I go back into audio settings and toggle it back on again. If I power on and off the Denon I get sound

It’s like the box I trying to work out the sound connection type each time I power the system up and can’t.

Any ideas

What is this Expert mode anyway, the menu says nothing about what the setting means does.

It seems to not have much control for audio.

At least with my old legacy cable box it was just straight Dolby Digital no fuss

I have the remote to power on TV and AVR but it seems to be almost a timing thing, perhaps the remote is powering on the AVR too quick. Because like I say if I turn the AVR off and on again it works.

Also the XiONE does not seem to power off when you do press the power button. The TV and AVR turn off but if I press the Turn on the AVR and TV with original remotes the Rogers TV box is still giving out picture.

The LED on the front never goes out if you press the power button. What the correct behaviour for the power off on the XiONE

***Edited Labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Rogers XiONE TV box, audio setting issue with Denon AVR

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lots of questions and comments:

1. How are you connected?  HDMI to AVR to TV, or HDMI to TV, Optical to AVR?  Other?

2. If you have HDMI-CEC turned on in your devices, turn it off in all your devices.

3. Have you tried the Dolby or Stereo output setting to see if that makes a difference?  The legacy boxes didn't have Expert, but they did have Dolby and stereo or other, can't remember.

4. The box is never actually "off".  In the box settings you have an option for how long it waits to go into standby.  The light may go out after a few hours when it goes into standby.

5. If you turn on the AVR using the AVR's remote, wait a few seconds, then turn on the box/TV, does it work then?  (you may need to shield the AVR from the Rogers remote signal so that it doesn't turn off).

6. I have my box connected to my TV then optical to my AVR, which is a Denon. It works fine for me that way, but some AVRs do like to be "on" for a few seconds so that the HDMI handshake works properly.

7. Be aware that there are some surround sound issues discussed in the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/493199#M14173

raymate
I've been here awhile

1. HDMI -> AVR -> TV
2. HDMI-CEC is disable
3. Stereo, surround and auto same behaviour
4. Thank you the behaviour is how you said, just initial confused as the power button does not sleep the box. But after the set duration the LED goes out
5. Yes it does work in that test
6. Wish this Rogers box had optical then I’m sure that would have solved it. The XiONE does not have optical it’s bit of . little thing really. I have Denon 2113ci
7. Will read that post

Pretty sure it’s a timing thing. For now I have stopped the Rogers remote from controlling my AVR and TV in doing that it’s not lost audio during the start up. Just means we are back to 3 remotes again.

I did notice how quick it fires the commands out I think too quick, with my old legacy Rogers box it would send the TV on command a second later after powering on the the TV box (my old legacy remote could not also power in the AVR, this is what I was excited by this new feature it could have deleted cluttered out table)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although the box doesn't have optical, your TV probably does.  If you connect the box directly to the TV using HDMI and connect the TV to the AVR via optical, that may work for you (it does for me). You need to enable "external speakers" or something similar in the TV for the optical connection to be "active" and obviously tune to the optical input in the AVR.  The remote should be programmed to turn on/off all your devices.

One other option may be to enable HDMI-CEC in all the devices, with the remote turning on only the box. This may then turn on the TV and the AVR using HDMI-CEC and the timing may be better for the AVR.  This assumes Box to AVR via HDMI and AVR to TV via HDMI.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@raymate  Regarding the HDMI Audio settings on the Ignite set-top boxes, "Auto Detect" is usually the best setting to use for most people, and this will pass Dolby Digital 5.1.  Expert Mode needs to be used in order to pass advanced audio formats, such as Dolby ATMOS.  However, Expert Mode can be problematic when connecting to some audio devices.  If you are experiencing audio issues of any kind, the first thing that you should do is set the audio output to Stereo.  If that works, then you can try troubleshooting with Auto Detect and Expert Mode.

One other thing: If a TOSLINK/optical connection is sufficient to carry all the audio formats that you require, then you really don't need to enable Expert Mode.

NotTVSavvy
I'm here a lot

Im hoping to piggy back into this thread.  We were just advised we are being "forced" into the new Ignite box system and have an OLD Denon AVR which works just fine on the cold cable box, with an optical for audio to our AVR, via the cable box.  we are NOT tech savvy, and as noted above, the new ignite box doesn't have optical.

we tried just "hooking" up our TV to the current Gateway cable box via HDMI and HDMI to AVR, and removing the optical, just to see if that would work and it didn't... no TV picture.  we called Denon, and they seemed to  think that the receiver didn't have the capability to do this via HDMI?  not sure why, but seems the solution they are providing is go buy a new receiver.  we don't have the ignite boxes yet, but basically thinking if we can't get it to work with the gateway cable box, what's to say it will with a new receiver??  the old Denon does have HDMI ports, just not ARC.  the TV also has both ARC and non ARC.  we didn't use the ARC port on the TV.  is the Denon guy right?  is the receiver too old?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NotTVSavvy : Many older AVRs cannot work the way you want since they don't have ARC, however, there is a workaround that usually works.

1. Connect the STB directly to the TV via HDMI.

2. Connect the TV to the AVR via optical (most TVs have optical outputs).

3. There is an audio setting in the TV that you need to change to "external speakers" (or similar).  

This setup should work like previously, but the audio signals will be going "through" the TV to the AVR instead of directly from the box to the AVR.  This may not work with some TVs.  You can test this with your current STB if you like.

What is the Model number of your Denon?  It may be possible to simply connect the STB to the AVR via HDMI and then from the AVR to the TV via HDMI - but you say this didn't work.  The reason I don't do that is if you have a 4K TV, then some AVRs are not capable of passing 4K signals, so you are stuck with the workaround I mentioned previously in this post, which is what I do with my older Denon.  Or you could set the STB to say 1080P in the output settings, but then you won't be watching 4K on the 4K channels.  What is the make/model of your current STB - it should have worked with the connections you tried, unless it was a 4K box, which the AVR will not handle?

NotTVSavvy
I'm here a lot

not sure what STB is (note my user name ...   😞       .  Warning you now, you'll need patience with me, obi wan.  lol. Denon is AVR 688,  and trying to figure out the set up is a nightmare.  Literally lying on the floor, trying to figure it out.  Manual is extremely hard to follow.  No onscreen for it, because of course, we couldn't get the TV picture!    TV is Samsung 60"  4K UN60HU8550, and does have AVR.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

STB = Set top box - the IgniteTV box under discussion in this thread.

The Denon AVR688 is about 15 years old and doesn't handle HDMI audio or have ARC, so you therefore need to use the optical connection through the TV I outlined in the first part of my previous post.

If you had a picture before, why don't you now?  You must have changed some cables around and perhaps they're in the wrong ports?  Make sure your inputs and outputs are correct, but that should be pretty simple if you only have the optical from the TV to the AVR and HDMI from the STB directly to the TV. The TV obviously needs to be set to the correct input to get a picture and the optical out from the TV needs to be connected to the correct input on the AVR and the AVR needs to be set to that input to hear audio (like before).

If you want the onscreen menu for the Denon, you'll need to connect the AVR to the TV - perhaps using a composite (yellow cable or any analogue cable really that fits) or component (red/green/blue cables) connection and tuning the TV to the appropriate input for that signal.  HDMI from the AVR to the TV may also work, but I didn't read the entire manual for the AVR.

I had a quick look at the TV and it appears to have an optical (audio) output, but you may need to remove the plug there or simply insert the cable and the "trap door" will move to accommodate it.

I may not have mentioned, but our issue was also that we were not getting a picture on the TV, when trying the HDMI method... maybe a setting on the TV required?  Would it have mattered whether or not we plugged in any HDMI cables (either from STB or AVR) into the ARC option in TV?.  don't even remember if we had gotten to actually seeing if the sound was coming through!   The Denon is a 688.   we're almost at the point of buying a new receiver (looking at DENON 970H), but what it that won't work either?  Not bothering to get the Ignite boxes until we know we can get a surround sound working properly with HDMI set up, but the old Denon set up is painful.  

NotTVSavvy
I'm here a lot

I may not have mentioned, but our issue was also that we were not getting a picture on the TV, when trying the HDMI method... maybe a setting on the TV required?  Would it have mattered whether or not we plugged in any HDMI cables (either from STB or AVR) into the ARC option in TV?.  don't even remember if we had gotten to actually seeing if the sound was coming through!   The Denon is a 688.   we're almost at the point of buying a new receiver (looking at DENON 970H), but what it that won't work either?  Not bothering to get the Ignite boxes until we know we can get a surround sound working properly with HDMI set up, but the old Denon set up is painful.  

NotTVSavvy
I'm here a lot

Thanks so much 57!  I think we were on the right path.

We didn't change anything on how STB connected to TV via HDMI (input 1).

We Just connected TV to AVR via HDMI .  (did not use the ARC port on the TV, because we knew receiver didn't have ARC. )

Here's 2 things we didn't do:

1)  didn't turn off the AVR, STB or TV prior to making connections 

2)  didn't remove the digital optical between TV and AVR prior to making new connections.

Would either of these 2 things have made a difference as to no picture on TV?  Input (HDMI 1) definately didn't change, so we we didn't expect a no picture, and got stuck there.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NotTVSavvy wrote:

1. We didn't change anything on how STB connected to TV via HDMI (input 1).

2. We Just connected TV to AVR via HDMI .  (did not use the ARC port on the TV, because we knew receiver didn't have ARC. )

3. Here's 2 things we didn't do:

1)  didn't turn off the AVR, STB or TV prior to making connections 

2)  didn't remove the digital optical between TV and AVR prior to making new connections.

1. If the STB is on, and tuned to a channel and the TV is on and set to HDMI 1, then you should have picture on the TV.

2. Don't do that. It won't work with your AVR.

3a. One should always turn off equipment before disconnecting and reconnecting any cables.

3b. In your first post you said you did remove the optical. Perhaps it's not connected to the proper input on the AVR now?  

3c. I also didn't realize that you were already running with the Optical from the TV to the AVR.  I thought you had the optical from the STB to the AVR?

3d.  The connections should be very simple:

- HDMI from STB to TV.  TV set to the appropriate input.  TV and STB on.

- Optical from TV to AVR (appropriate input and AVR tuned to that input).  The input also needs to be properly "assigned" in the AVR, but if it was working before, it should be working now.

- Audio setting in the TV set to "external speakers" or similar. This usually means the TV's speakers are "off".

NotTVSavvy
I'm here a lot

Hi 57.   Yes, everything worked with that set up as we have it currently. we also had to do optical from STB to Receiver, in order to get TRUE DOLBY 5.1 sound.  When you disconnect the Optical from STB (which is the problem, as it will no longer be an option with IGNITE ....no optical), then the sound only comes from TV to AVR, via optical.  The AVR, then, unfortunately does not produce the DOLBY...only stereo, which is what I think the DENON guy was trying to tell us. 

BUT, having said that,  no comes the issue that if we buy a new AVR (Denon 970H in mind), because there will no longer be a optical port in the Ignite Cable Box, which means we are now "streaming" via Rogers, through this Box, will be getting that DOLBY DIGITAL, like we do directly from NETFLIX, PRIME etc, or will we only be getting "Stereo", because the HDMI didn't work for Old receiver... in other words, will new receiver have some sort of new technology that makes it work?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No need for a new AVR at this time.  What you need is the proper setup in your equipment to get DD5.1. 

1. Do you now have the new IgniteTV STB, or are you just experimenting with the old equipment?

2. Do you have video and audio now, but are you saying the only issue is with Stereo instead of DD5.1 at the AVR?

3. In the TV there are various audio settings and you need to ensure it's set to Passthrough or Dolby, instead of PCM or stereo. The TV should then "pass" the DD5.1 audio from the STB to the AVR through the TV.  I assume you're getting DD5.1 when connected from the STB directly to the AVR with optical and you're simply moving one end of the optical cable from the STB output to the TV output, leaving the other end in the AVR.

NotTVSavvy
I'm here a lot

1)  do not yet have the Ignite TV STB.    experimenting with existing Gateway STB

Currently set up with:

2 a) HDMI from gateway STB to TV  

b) digital optical from gateway STB to AVR

c)  digital optical from TV to AVR 

This provides us with DOLBY 5.1, either when watching "cable" TV or when streaming NETFLIX etc

3.  settings are all fine to match what we set up in 2a, b, c.

Problem arose when:

In anticipation of getting the New Ignite box, which does not have digital optical, we were experimenting with:

4a) running HDMI from gateway STB to TV, and

b) another HDMI from TV to AVR.  

c) disconnected both the digital optical connections (STB to AVR and TV to AVR)

that's when we ran into the problem that it was only Stereo vs DOLBY 5.1

**We did reconnect the digital/optical from TV to AVR, and then tried streaming NETFLIX again, and DID get the Dolby 5.1.  That's how we were able to confirm that HDMI cables would NOT produce Dolby either from STB or TV. (Probably why we had it all originally set up as per 1a, b, c to begin with!)

After we tried option 4a, b, c ...we called Denon, advising them of no DOLBY,  he indicated that the unit did not have PASSTHROUGH capability and that's why it wasn't working.  That's when we then thought, if we have to do the Ignite box the same way as 4a, b, c, (because no more digital via STB), that we would need to buy a new AVR. 

In the mean time, we did call Rogers, and ask they advised set up to the ignite box was a bit different.

5a)  HDMI from ignite box to "NEW" AVR (e-ARC to e-ARC) --apparently the ignite boxes have this ability

b) HDMI from new AVR to TV HDMI ... herein now comes another issue... new AVR only has e-ARCs, and TV has either HDMI  or HDMI ARC.

the Rogers guy insisted that we would get full DOLBY 5.1 via the ignite box and that the boxes had e-arc, so watching channels are fine.  What he couldn't say with absolute clarity, whether, now having picture signal to TV going from STB through AVR, via HDMI e-ARC, when streaming via internet, whether the AVR HDMI E-ARC TO to the TV HDMI-ARC, would work. (basically that the  the picture would be delivered still in 4K - as the TV and STB have that - and that Dolby 5.1 would work, just nothing enhanced?)

aye yay yay

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation