cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite compatibility with TV makes

cdeeble
I've been here awhile

I just bought a Westinghouse TV.  TV works fine, but it won't work on Rogers Ignite --  no volume.  I've had a visit from technicians to my house. It was worse than the Laurel and Hardy show, they were so deeply incompetent and unprofessional there are no words.   Concierge Service of course is out of action (48-hour auto delay on respond time).  Now I have to return the television and tell the retailer "Nothing wrong with it:  but it doesn't work with Rogers cable."    How do I found out what makes of television are compatible with Rogers Ignite???    Rogers Ignite  was half decent 6 months ago when Rogers was *forcing* their entire client base to switch to Ignite against their will or leave.  Of course, it's now back to being the same old shoddy, unsupported Rogers as ever.  Just more expensive. Greeeattt. 

***Added Labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Rogers Ignite compatibility with TV makes

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cdeeble wrote:

I just bought a Westinghouse TV.  TV works fine, but it won't work on Rogers Ignite --  no volume.  

Are you saying there is no audio on the TV, or that the remote control doesn't adjust the volume?  If the former, go into the Rogers box settings and look for the audio options and try "other" rather than DD5.1, or vice versa.  Some TVs may not accept certain types of audio signals but I've never heard of a TV that doesn't work with Ignite.

Did you try a different HDMI cable? Try unplugging the HDMI cable at both ends a couple of times and replugging - you may have a poor contact? 

I assume you're going directly from the Ignite box to the TV via HDMI?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My guess might be the no volume control, etc?

While the remote for Ignite is much newer than the older rogers ones.. and I think probably have more remote codes in them than the older.. its possible that they dont have all the codes still.

This can happen often, when even the BIG manufacturers bring out a new line of TVs.. and change the remote codes form ones they previously use.  Devices which only have a pre set of codes in them.. dont have those new codes.
Some of the smaller more budget TVs can even be more so.   That they are often just a re-brand of other models or using other components.
EG:  I have a Sekei and RCA tv in our trailer.   Both are obviously using the same components, as they have identical remotes, and one remote will work on the other TV, etc.

You had tried the different westinghouse remote codes?
https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr11-2/
(add westinghouse tv, should give a set of remote codes)

yyz64
I plan to stick around

don't work correctly on all tv makes.

I have a Hisense that the remote controls fine except it can only turn the tv off using the actual tv button on the remote.The all power button turns the tv and soundbar both on but only turns the soundbar off.If I use the voice command to power it down I get a message that the remote can't control the tv.But it can as it does for everything but turning the power off with the all power button.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, as stated above, doesnt work correctly on SOME TV makes.

Hisense, unfortunately, is like some of the brands I mentioned above.   It is one of the lower brands who do sometimes use odd/different/share parts.  So this could be to it not using standard codes.

As well, this could be seen sometimes in the past.    SOME TVs.. for some reason, dont use ONE code for power.  Most will take the 'power' code and if its off, turn on, or vice versa.  But some, do use completely different codes for on/off.  Which might be the case here?

I have set up Ignite on about 13 TVs so far, and yet to have one that it DOESNT work on.
And this also includes an OLD 13 inch Sony CRT TV.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With the HiSense the issue is very strange because it'll turn off when the TV button is selected, but not for the "All Power" button.  If there were discrete on/off codes, I don't think the TV button would work since it simply sends a power toggle as far as I know, not a discrete on/off.  It may even be a faulty remote or for some reason the "on TV" function works in all power and the "off TV" doesn't.  

yyz64
I plan to stick around

I will say this. I have seen it turn my tv off with the all power button 2-3 times in the 2 1/2 months I've had Ignite. And I can't place a reason it did do it. I do have a spare remote so I can try that.

This is my Living Room TV and it also seems to suffer from the sometimes when you turn the tv on it doesn't see a signal from the box. Then I have to reboot the Ignite box  and  it will work again but I also seem to have to change the tv  to a different input then go back to where the box is connected to .It's weird. Yesterday after a box reboot it went to a screen saver after me being away from the tv for about 15 minutes.Never seen that before  but this box at also  has moments where it doesn't respond to key presses on the remote.I think it may be worth getting it replaced but I'll try a location swap first to see if the problem stays or moves with the box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing that some people forget is that it can take several seconds for all the commands to be sent if there is more then one IR signal involved.  Some people move the remote after pressing a button and the first IR signal gets sent, but because the remote is no longer pointed correctly, the second signal isn't "heard" by the second device. It gets even "worse" if you've got 3 devices - say the box, AVR, TV.    One needs to point the remote at the various devices until all of the commands are sent and all the devices are on (or off).  On the 1055/6 remotes there were lights at the top of the remote that blinked as the signal got sent and I always told my clients to watch those lights while using the remote to control more than one device.   I'm not sure if the Ignite remote has that feature.

yyz64
I plan to stick around

57 I know what you're talking about, my 80 something mother was famous for doing that.Turn on cable box move remote tv doesn't come on. Do it again turn cable box off turn tv on.Rinse and repeat. The Ignite remotes do not have the light on them.

I am a tech (not cable) but will try all the logical things and try to split a problem in 1/2  to start troubleshooting. It may be worth a shot to first try a different remote and then maybe swap a box and see if I can fix it.But like I mentioned I think this box has a few demons in it already.

yyz64
I plan to stick around

So I did swap boxes and remotes. If I program the remote to operate just the tv, everything works as planned.When I add a soundbar  to the remote for it to control ,then the tv does not power off anymore unless I use the tv button.Weird.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Could this be some sort of HDMI-CEC issue? Have you tried turning off that "feature" in the TV and/or sound bar?

yyz64
I plan to stick around

Sound bar is connected  with toslink  .

After swapping 2 boxes around,I am still getting the no signal found on power up .Doesn't happen all the time just random.

Iam starting to think that Ignite boxes and Hisense don't want to get along

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yyz64 wrote:

Iam starting to think that Ignite boxes and Hisense don't want to get along

I don't see how the boxes even play into the situation unless HDMI-CEC is "on" and the TV, since connected via HDMI to the box, is "seeing" some sort of signal from that box. The remote is sending the IR signals to the devices, not the box.  Try unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV/box and see what happens.

yyz64
I plan to stick around
If I unplug the HDMI from the tv I get the same result.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yyz64 wrote:
If I unplug the HDMI from the tv I get the same result.

I'm not sure what this means. Does this mean you get the "no signal" (on the TV), which you obviously would since there's no signal coming to the TV?  Are the TV and Sound Bar turning on/off properly with the "all power" button, which is the issue that we're trying to solve?

Since you don't appear to be using the HDMI-CEC functionality, I suggest you turn it off in the TV's user settings. Sometimes, with the HDMI-CEC option enabled, you get the remote and the HDMI signals "fighting" each other and the various devices don't turn on/off as you would expect, but with HDMI-CEC turned off, the remote should do all the controlling and the various devices should turn on/off properly.  See item 4 of the following FAQ.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html

Sometimes devices like a sound bar may turn on/off as they see (or don't see) a signal - even from something like TOSLink (optical) cable.  There may be a setting in the sound bar to turn that option on/off if it exists.  

Disabling all these auto on/off features may get the remote properly controlling all the devices.

Awinsor
I've been around
In the settings you need to change the audio output to stereo instead of Dolby audio.
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation