Rogers Ignite and wired TV Boxes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite and wired TV Boxes

@bvyas my personal opinion: 

1.  Reboot the modem to see if that sorts out the IP problem:

2.  If step 1 fails, run a factory reset and set the modem up from scratch. 

This sounds like a firmware update that either isn't completed, or went awry for some reason. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

I ran factory reset for XB6. After restarting, it generates IP Address of all WiFi connected devices but cannot generate for the Desktop. If I connect Laptop with Wire connection, that does not work either.

Some question -

1. If I change XB6 to Bridge Mode, can it be changed it back if and when Rogers support is required? How?

2. Can Velop pod work as DHCP Router and generate WiFi as well as Wired IP addresses?

3. Are there any tips for Velop set up for item # 2 above?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bvyas wrote:

Hello,

I ran factory reset for XB6. After restarting, it generates IP Address of all WiFi connected devices but cannot generate for the Desktop. If I connect Laptop with Wire connection, that does not work either.

Some question -

1. If I change XB6 to Bridge Mode, can it be changed it back if and when Rogers support is required? How?

2. Can Velop pod work as DHCP Router and generate WiFi as well as Wired IP addresses?

3. Are there any tips for Velop set up for item # 2 above?

How did you perform the factory reset?  Through the admin web UI or using the paper clip method?  I would recommend the latter.

I would also recommend that you reach out to the @CommunityHelps  team; click on the user name, then click "Send this user a Private Message".  Ask them to perform a test/heath check on your XB6 gateway and Ignite TV installation.  None of the Mods will tell you that having wired devices connected is unsupported.

If the "paper clip" factory reset doesn't restore normal functionality, you should be able to run on your Velop with the XB6 in bridge mode.  I say should because this setup is totally unsupported by Rogers.  Also the Linksys stock firmware is rather buggy and its IPv6 implementation is VERY simplistic.

If you choose to try the Bridge Mode path, first connect the Velop primary node directly to the "ETH 1" port on the XB6 and connect your LAN switch to the second Ethernet port on the Primary Velop node.  Don't have any other devices connected to the XB6.  Change the Velop's Internet setting to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" and use the default 192.168.1.x address range for your internal LAN.    Next, log into the XB6 and enable Bridge Mode.

When the XB6 restarts, reboot your Velop system.  I would then power-cycle each set-top box so that they either reconnect to the closest Velop node and/or so that they obtain new IP addresses through DHCP.

Best of luck with getting this resolved!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks,

I will contact Community Help.

I had performed Factory Reset using a pin at the back. I understand that bridge mode is not supported by Rogers. I will opt that only as a last resort.  Thanks for your tips on Velop set up.

Should I require Rogers Tech support after switching to Bridge Mode, is XB6 still accessible using Web UI?

Every tech support who could not resolve my issue told me that Velop pods are not compatible with Ignite XB6. They want me to use WiFi / Rogers pods. I got three of them but do not like them as alternative of wired network.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bvyas wrote:

Thanks,

I will contact Community Help.

I had performed Factory Reset using a pin at the back. I understand that bridge mode is not supported by Rogers. I will opt that only as a last resort.  Thanks for your tips on Velop set up.

Should I require Rogers Tech support after switching to Bridge Mode, is XB6 still accessible using Web UI?

Yes, you can still connect to http://10.0.0.1/ and log into the XB6 even when Bridge Mode is enabled.

Every tech support who could not resolve my issue told me that Velop pods are not compatible with Ignite XB6. They want me to use WiFi / Rogers pods. I got three of them but do not like them as alternative of wired network.

Okay... it's not a configuration that Rogers officially supports but they do support running Ignite TV with an eero WiFi mesh solution, and you are running your Velop system in a configuration that is functionally equivalent.  (However, the eero's software is way more stable than the Velop's, especially since Linksys revamped their mobile app and implemented the Linksys Aware motion detection feature in their firmware.  I have never been all that impressed with Linksys' software quality but, in my opinion, it has REALLY gone downhill lately.)

As for the Pods, if you need fast WiFi speeds, you will find their performance underwhelming, but they are an effective solution to expand WiFi coverage and they do what they were designed to do pretty well.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks
I am using Velop WiFi for mobile devices like phone and laptop only. Everything else including TV boxes was wired until update was rolled out
For now I am trying to re-establish my wired network. I will introduce Velop only after things have stabilized
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bvyas wrote:
Thanks
I am using Velop WiFi for mobile devices like phone and laptop only. Everything else including TV boxes was wired until update was rolled out
For now I am trying to re-establish my wired network. I will introduce Velop only after things have stabilized

As part of your troubleshooting, did you also power-cycle your LAN switch to reset it?  These things are not passive devices.  They run software internally and can get into a bad state from time to time, especially if the power that they are getting is not clean or not to spec.  Some even have a reset button.

Did you also try connecting individual devices directly into the XB6?

I'm asking this again because based on what you have described about your setup, there is no reason why devices connected to your Velop mesh should work but other wired devices do not, unless there is a problem with your LAN switch.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As part of your troubleshooting, did you also power-cycle your LAN switch to reset it?

I have already replaced the switch - bought a new one after having this problem. As you have suggested, I will try resetting it.

Did you also try connecting individual devices directly into the XB6?

If I connect Laptop directly to XB6 using a small network cable, it works.

there is no reason why devices connected to your Velop mesh should work but other wired devices do not,

Apologize for causing confusion. At present Velop is out picture. All devices are WiFi connected via Rogers Pods.  Prior to 29th update, all my devices were wired connected. Only mobile devices - phone and laptop were connected to Velop.

If the problem is resolved, I will keep Velop out until system stabilizes and works fine for a week.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm switching frrom Rogers Cable to Ignite next week. I will be turning off the Ignite modem wifi and instead using ethernet hardwiring to my 3 TV boxes. The Rogers modem will be issuing IP addresses to my home network computers and smarthome devices, most will be DHCP but a few will be assigned fixed IP addresses outside the DHCP range. I have 2 TP-Link hardwired AC1750 wifi routers that are configured as wifi access points and each has a SSD attached to their USB port that is mapped as a network drive on my PCs and used for general backup storage. This setup works very well even though the USB ports are version 2.0.

The posts I've read about Ignite not supporting NAT devices has me wondering if it will support these SSDs on my access point routers and allow me to see them and map them same way or will they be seen as a NAT device and not be accessible.  Thanks in advance for your responses.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have 2 routers in my house configured as access points and they work great. Gives me full coverage of the house.

Vb6 is bridged and have been using my own router for 2 years.