Rogers Ignite and wired TV Boxes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite and wired TV Boxes

I am a Rogers Ignite customer. I had most of the gadgets (TV set top box, TV, Blu-ray player, Receiver, computers etc ) wire connected (LAN) with Rogers Modem. Also had three Velop pods in bridge mode. Rodgers modem in Gateway mode with WiFi turned off. There are several Gigabit switches as part of the network Everything worked great until last Friday 29th May when Rogers rolled out update.

Now no device can connect via wired connection. WiFi works fine. LAN connected computers show that no IP address has been assigned. Rogers provided wifi pods but I am not happy. Loved my stable wired network.

I can see in the Model setup that WiFi network has wide range of IP Address under DCHP (10.0.0.2 to 254) but for LAN there is only one IP address available (173.....) I believe that Rogers modem is not allowed to create more IP addresses on LAN side after update.

Over the phone support says that I have problem with switches of wires. i should use WiFi for everything. They replaced my Modem and I replaced the switch but no improvement.

Any suggestion to put my wired network back in action?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bvyas wrote:

I can see in the Model setup that WiFi network has wide range of IP Address under DCHP (10.0.0.2 to 254) but for LAN there is only one IP address available (173.....) I believe that Rogers modem is not allowed to create more IP addresses on LAN side after update.

Over the phone support says that I have problem with switches of wires. i should use WiFi for everything. They replaced my Modem and I replaced the switch but no improvement.

Any suggestion to put my wired network back in action?

I'm not sure what you are looking at but can you confirm that Bridge Mode is DISABLED on your XB6 gateway?  If Bridge Mode has been enabled, with the latest firmware, when you log into the modem through the web admin UI, you will see a warning at the top of the page (above the Rogers logo) saying, "The Device is currently in Bridge Mode."

The reason that I ask is that the only way that a device on your LAN could ever be assigned a (public) IPv4 address in the 173.33.x.x range is if the XB6 has Bridge Mode enabled.  That would also explain why only one of your LAN devices is able to obtain an IP address through DHCP and the others fail.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

The Model XB6 is not in Bridge Mode. It has been disabled and DHCP Client enabled for both IPV4 and 6.

My goal is to go back to wired connection for all the gadgets, as it was before the update.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bvyas wrote:

Hello,

The Model XB6 is not in Bridge Mode. It has been disabled and DHCP Client enabled for both IPV4 and 6.

My goal is to go back to wired connection for all the gadgets, as it was before the update.

Okay, thanks for confirming that.  I'm still confused as to where you see your Ethernet and WiFi clients getting IP addresses from separate DHCP pools; the LAN and WiFi networks should both be getting their IP addresses from the same DHCP scope, from the 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254 range.  Are you certain that you did not see the 173.x.x.x address in the WAN section?

Also, how do you have your devices connected to the XB6?  Are you using both LAN ports on the XB6, with your Velop primary node plugged into one port and an Ethernet switch plugged into the other?  The 2nd Ethernet port may or may not work, depending on your settings: it will get disconnected from your  Home/Local IP Network if you have the "Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network" option checked in "Gateway > Hardware > LAN Ethernet".

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- From Left Hand Side menu, when I select Connection -> Status, I see following information

Under Local IP Network - IP Address (IPv4): 10.0.0.1

Under WAN Network - WAN Network Status: Active Docsis WAN / WAN IP Address (IPv4): 173.33.80.133

From the menu Connection -> Local IP Network, I see DHCP Range from 10.0.0.2 to 254

From the menu Connection -> WAN Network, I see WAN IP Address (IPv4): 173.33.80.133

and DOCSIS enabled.

Originally I had one Ethernet cable coming out of XB6 entering one Ethernet port of Velop and another one going out to switch and downstream network. I had turned off XB6 WiFi and did not use it. XB6 was always in Gateway and Velop in Bridge mode. Always used either Velop WiFi or wired network. That does not work anymore.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bvyas wrote:

@-G- From Left Hand Side menu, when I select Connection -> Status, I see following information

Under Local IP Network - IP Address (IPv4): 10.0.0.1

Under WAN Network - WAN Network Status: Active Docsis WAN / WAN IP Address (IPv4): 173.33.80.133

From the menu Connection -> Local IP Network, I see DHCP Range from 10.0.0.2 to 254

From the menu Connection -> WAN Network, I see WAN IP Address (IPv4): 173.33.80.133

and DOCSIS enabled.

This all looks okay.

Anything in the settings labelled "WAN" (Wide Area Network) pertains to the cable Internet link.  You can disregard those settings for now because we are troubleshooting a connectivity problem on the Local IP Network.

Originally I had one Ethernet cable coming out of XB6 entering one Ethernet port of Velop and another one going out to switch and downstream network. I had turned off XB6 WiFi and did not use it. XB6 was always in Gateway and Velop in Bridge mode. Always used either Velop WiFi or wired network. That does not work anymore.

I've actually once used a configuration similar to this (including with a Linksys Velop) so I know that this should work.  As far as the XB6 is concerned, it sees all of the devices as Ethernet-connected, including wireless clients connected through the Velop mesh, because it sees all devices connecting through the ETH 1 LAN port.

As I understand it your topology looks something line this:

Wired Ethernet devices --- [ LAN Switch ] --- [ Velop Primary Node ] --- [ XB6 ] --- Rogers Network

An alternate configuration like this will also work:

[ Velop Primary Node ] --- [ LAN Switch ] --- [ XB6 ] --- Rogers Network

Did you change or upgrade anything else in your network recently?

Are you using a simple, inexpensive Unmanaged LAN switch or are you using a Managed switch that allows you to configure VLANs?

Did you check your Ethernet cables?  (Sorry for asking this.)

Are you using a wired backhaul on your Velop and is that working?

Do you have any wired devices connected to the Velop secondary nodes, either directly or through a LAN switch?

I would recommend trying to implement the alternate configuration and keep the network topology as simple as possible.  Start building your network with an Ethernet switch uplinked into the "ETH 1" port on the XB6 and verify that your wired devices work and have Internet connectivity.  Next, connect the Velop primary node to the LAN switch.  Connect secondary Velop nodes to the primary node wirelessly.

When adding any network connections or devices, make sure that you are not introducing any loops into your network.

If the Velop is in bridge mode, you have more flexibility as to how you can connect the wired backhaul.  (You don't necessarily need a dedicated backhaul network.)  However, for now, I would try to get things working again with the simplest configuration possible.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

After XB6 power recycle, I connected Network Switch to Port 1. The switch is just a cheap Gigabit D-Link 8 port switch. It is not manageable.

One T V box got connected to wired network and is still working. Second TV box did not connect in Ethernet mode. Works in Wireless mode.

Blu-ray did not connect to network  (physical connection Ok / no network)

Home theater receiver did not connect.

IP TV box (non-rogers) did not connect wired. Works Wireless

Desktop received IP Address as 169.254.179.179 with no internet. Wireless mode works fine.

As mentioned earlier, XB6 and Switch are new. I have tried interchanging wires in different ways.

No luck so far. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bvyas is the XB6 running in Gateway mode or Bridge mode?  If its in Bridge mode, then it would make sense that only one device that is connected to the switch would have an IP address, nothing else would as the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) appears to provide one device with IP addresses when the XB6 is in Bridge mode. 

To run all the devices, you would need to run the modem in Gateway mode with the switch connected, or, run the modem in Bridge mode with a router connected.  All of your devices would be connected to the switch or router, which ever is applicable. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bvyas  I would verify that your XB6 is in gateway mode (that bridge mode is NOT enabled) and that WiFi is disabled.  Next, unplug everything that is connected to the XB6's Ethernet ports, then power-cycle the XB6.  Wait 10 minutes.

Next, connect a single computer to the XB6 using an Ethernet cable.  Check to see what IP address your computer gets through DHCP.  If you get an address that's in the 10.0.0.x range, that's good.  If you get a public IPv4 address, such as something in the 173.33.x.x range, you have a serious problem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

XB6 is definitely in Gateway mode. Bridge Mode is disabled. It is creating unique IP Address for each device connected via WiFi. The problem is limited to Ethernet connected devices only.

What serious problem can I have? What is the solution?. I can say with confidence that this problem started on last Friday, May 29th after update was rolled out.