Rogers Ignite and wired TV Boxes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Ignite and wired TV Boxes

I upgraded to Rogers Ignite in the fall and so far love it.  The odd glitch but picture and sound quality are amazing.  The ROgers guy came and setup my Modem and TV boxes on it's own WiFi network on the modem and setup the Eeros in bridge mode, so essentially a large WiFi mesh  network.

I also have my own network which I get internet from off the back of the ROgers modem to my router and have both wireless and wired throughout the house.

I tried connecting the Arris tv boxes to my network via a hardwire CAT5 drop, but found the Rogers TV box connects to both the Rogers WiFi and my wired network and creates intermittent issues.  THere are not many options on the TV box to forget or remove wireless networks.  How do I prevent these devices from connecting to both Networks?  I did powercycle the tv box to pick up the wired network.

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted

Re: Rogers Ignite and wired TV Boxes

Hello, @Daver99

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I'm thrilled to know you are loving the Ignite TV experience. Thank you for joining the Community and for your detailed post. 

If I correctly remember @Biollw one of our Community member has hard wired a couple of Ignite STBs successfully. 

@Biollw - would you please provide your insights on this matter?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

Uh oh. This is concerning to me. I am on Digital TV, but would consider going Ignite if the prices come down this year.

The problem is one spot has iffy wireless. Good enough to get signal but not reliable. So I ran CAT6 there. I want to be able to prioritize Ethernet over wireless.

I Plan to Stick Around

I think it will work. I have yet to turn off the Rogers wifi network and move the mesh to my network. I am thinking that once I do that, the STBs may forget about the old wifi and not connect to both. I was just curious if anyone else has come across this yet

Hello @Daver99!

Have you had an opportunity yet to test out that solution? Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @Daver99

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I'm thrilled to know you are loving the Ignite TV experience. Thank you for joining the Community and for your detailed post. 

If I correctly remember @Biollw on of our Community member has hard wired a couple of Ignite STBs successfully. 

@Biollw- would you please provide your insights on this matter?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I do not have the rogers mesh network...to be clear.

I have 2 of my xi6 hard wired into my network and 1 is connected to my wifi.

All works perfectly fine. If the wired net is not connected it will attempt to connect wifi IF it has the wifi info stored then it automatically connects to my wifi, if wifi data is not there then it prompts you to find and configure a wifi connection.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the response. It’s sounds as if I proceed with my plan I will have a working solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

The tech set up my basement Xi6 on the Ethernet port. It is for sure only 100mb! Motion pixelation was horrible!! I installed a wireless router in AP mode off the same 1000mb switch as the Xi6 was plugged into. I disconnected the Ethernet to the Xi6 and connected it to the WiFi and the motion pixilation mostly disappeared. This is counter intuitive but the Xi6 works better on WiFi than direct connected! Very disappointing!

Hard wired Ignite STB will only connect at 100mb/s. It was my experience that this resulted in poor motion response. I reconfigured my situation to WiFi and my motion pixelation issues mostly cleared up!

I Plan to Stick Around

That explains the subpar quality when hard wired. I have also gone back to WiFi I was blaming my switch.
I've Been Around

Hardwired is always better. Just make sure IPV6 is active on your router as most of the plug and play type routers default to having it off. You do not need separate networks for cable boxes if you have a decent hardwired configuration.