Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

You need to provide more details:

- does the wifi drop at all locations in your home

- how far away are from the modem when the wifi drops (maybe you need extenders)

- there are always solutions to enable a wired connection from anywhere in the home that is not expensive

- what do your mean "do ethernet cables carry the internet from the TV box"? If you mean  that the TV box is wifi connected and will connecting an ether cable provide internet, then the answer is no.

I am sure there is a reasonable solution. Have you called the Concierge to report your problem?

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey There!

Wow, rapid response, thanks.  I will include more detail. I have been trying to work this out.

Okay - so we live in a 3-storey house.  My workstation iMac Pro is on the 3rd floor.  Our Ignite TV base station has been installed near where the Rogers cable came in on the first (main) floor. There are 3 tvs, including the main one right next to the big box.  There is one on the 3rd floor about 30 feet from my computer in another room, one in the basement, and one on the main floor where it's right next to the main box.

I have no issues what-so-ever with Rogers Ignite.  The 3rd floor TV might need a reboot now and again, but the TV is okay. 

However, while the Wifi is strong on the first floor and basement, where I need the internet to be un-interrupted, my 3rd floor computer has constant dropouts. It *might* be because my network is switching constantly between 2.4ghz network and a 5ghz one in order to get the strongest signal. It drops, it comes back constantly. For browsing it's a minor inconvenience, but as I work from home and have huge uploads and downloads, these are being constantly interrupted and having to be restarted.  I can't keep this going.

If this was so important, why wasn't it installed on the 3rd floor?  Because the tech told me it would be fine and went above and beyond to re-assure me there would be no issue.  I had reservations, but I had to trust him. Now I find that it's not working.         The issue is I can't plug my computer into the main box because it's 3 floors away (unless I have to pay for a pro installer to rip out walls and what not)   

When you stay extenders, do you mean the small boxes that are used for the ignite TV? THere's an ethernet port on them, so I was wondering if I could get a hardwire to a signal that way?  So far as I have tried, that's not the case. 

Any suggestions would be welcome.  I was promised by the Sales rep Adam and by my tech that there would be no interruption to my service.  Now I'm looking at more headaches, so please give me help. 

We only had this stuff installed last thursday, and I've been trying to troubleshoot some of this on my own.   I will contact the Concierge, but the first thing they'll ask me is have I tried solving it on my end.  Any ideas?

Thanks again!

I Plan to Stick Around

The Concierge is there to help not question how you have tried to solve any problems. You may need an eero mesh network to improve the wifi coverage (a monthly charge). Other solutions:

- move the modem to the 3rd floor, but this may result in wifi issues to the TB in the basement (needed the eero).

- move the modem to the basement near to your ether connection point, but this may result in wifi issues to the TV on the 3rd floor unless you can use a wired connection (or eero needed)

- is the modem near the ethernet outlet on the 2nd floor? if so you may be be able to connect it to the modem and then use a female-to-female connector in the basement to get ethernet connection to the 3rd floor.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jonathandowler wrote:

Hey There!

Wow, rapid response, thanks.  I will include more detail. I have been trying to work this out.

Okay - so we live in a 3-storey house.  My workstation iMac Pro is on the 3rd floor.  Our Ignite TV base station has been installed near where the Rogers cable came in on the first (main) floor. There are 3 tvs, including the main one right next to the big box.  There is one on the 3rd floor about 30 feet from my computer in another room, one in the basement, and one on the main floor where it's right next to the main box.

I have no issues what-so-ever with Rogers Ignite.  The 3rd floor TV might need a reboot now and again, but the TV is okay. 

However, while the Wifi is strong on the first floor and basement, where I need the internet to be un-interrupted, my 3rd floor computer has constant dropouts. It *might* be because my network is switching constantly between 2.4ghz network and a 5ghz one in order to get the strongest signal. It drops, it comes back constantly. For browsing it's a minor inconvenience, but as I work from home and have huge uploads and downloads, these are being constantly interrupted and having to be restarted.  I can't keep this going.

If this was so important, why wasn't it installed on the 3rd floor?  Because the tech told me it would be fine and went above and beyond to re-assure me there would be no issue.  I had reservations, but I had to trust him. Now I find that it's not working.         The issue is I can't plug my computer into the main box because it's 3 floors away (unless I have to pay for a pro installer to rip out walls and what not)   

When you stay extenders, do you mean the small boxes that are used for the ignite TV? THere's an ethernet port on them, so I was wondering if I could get a hardwire to a signal that way?  So far as I have tried, that's not the case. 

Any suggestions would be welcome.  I was promised by the Sales rep Adam and by my tech that there would be no interruption to my service.  Now I'm looking at more headaches, so please give me help. 

We only had this stuff installed last thursday, and I've been trying to troubleshoot some of this on my own.   I will contact the Concierge, but the first thing they'll ask me is have I tried solving it on my end.  Any ideas?

Thanks again!

What about powerline networking? You could pick up two AV2000 things for ~$100, put one on the main floor plugged into the Rogers Ignite modem, put one on the third floor, and plug the iMac Pro into it.

I just got back from Montreal where I set up some powerline stuff for my parents in a condo. In that application it's only doing about 100 megabits/sec, but wifi from the main router on 5Ghz would do about 2 megabits/sec at best so you're looking at a 50X speed increase. (I have strong objections to 2.4, so... that's not in the picture)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jonathandowler wrote:

The ignite TV boxes (or most equipment, really) don't do bridging between their wireless and wired interfaces, so... that's not an option. You could potentially get a router with a ... what's the mode called... (the reverse of access point mode... grr... the name escapes me) where that router connects via wifi to the main one, plug the ignite TV box into it, plug a longer cable from your iMac Pro, and boom.

I think most 'range extenders' can also be configured to do that.

But overall I think that's a dangerous idea unless you have an outstanding, outstanding wifi signal to the location where this device is going to be located.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jonathandowler can you have a look at the bottom of the modem to determine what model you have.  There are two models of the XB6 modem, an Arris TG3482ROG and a Technicolour CGM4141.  The Arris modem is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  The Technicolor modem is a Broadcom BCM-3390 modem.  The most important difference for your situation is the wifi power output.  The Arris modem is rather anemic, to say the least.  If you have that modem, its understandable why you're experiencing issues with wifi coverage.  The Technicolor modem runs almost 1 watt for output power in the 5 Ghz channel 149 range. 

If you already have the Technicolor modem, then its time to look for alternative solutions such as a wifi extender, installing the eero mesh network that Rogers installs and charges for, or possibly running an ethernet to cable adapter if you happen to have a cable port in a wallplate which is close to your MAC location.   That adapter set requires a specific MoCA 2.0 qualified cable splitter and MoCA Point of Entry filter installed where the cable enters the home.  The ECB6200 and ECB6250 are seen on the following page:

https://www.actiontec.com/moca/

The ECB6200 supports transfer rates of 1 Gb/s and the ECB6250 supports data rates of 2.5 Gb/s.  You can connect the ethernet port of the adapter to your MAC , or to a router that is running in Access Point mode, providing wifi services only.  

The first question to resolve is which modem model that you have. 

Edit:  Can you also have a look at the following post regarding slow wifi.  Skip down to the section on Wifi settings and monitoring the wifi environment with various available applications.  Modify the modem wifi settings to match and reboot the modem.  If you happen to have a windows laptop, consider loading inSSIDer and Lizard Systems wifi scanner to see who you're competing with for clear wifi channels.  On the third floor, you have a much larger radio horizon, so, you should see a great many more wifi networks from that floor, compared to the bottom floor.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/429489#M54216

I've Been Around

I walked away from BELL Fibe 1Gb. Because the connectivity of the Home Hub 3000 was very bad, even with the mesh pods.
I have 3 TV boxes. They all have access to the PVR.
After the installation was done I checked signal strength and speed in all rooms on second and first floor as well as the basement and patio. Strength -60db speed 380 + everywhere. Awesome!!
I don't have eeros or any other mesh network pods. Just the Arris XR6. That modem handles it all. 1,680 sqf home + basement and garage.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

@jonathandowler can you have a look at the bottom of the modem to determine what model you have.  There are two models of the XB6 modem, an Arris TG3482ROG and a Technicolour CGM4141.  The Arris modem is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  The Technicolor modem is a Broadcom BCM-3390 modem.  The most important difference for your situation is the wifi power output.  The Arris modem is rather anemic, to say the least.  If you have that modem, its understandable why you're experiencing issues with wifi coverage.  The Technicolor modem runs almost 1 watt for output power in the 5 Ghz channel 149 range. 

@Datalink 

Just a heads up: I recently had Ignite TV installed in my Home and the Gateway model the Rogers installer used is the Technicolour CGM4140COM.

One other very useful bit of information for those that are interested in BRIDGING their GW is as follows:

1. set up the gateway; The gateway will prompt you to enter the SSID for your wifi system and password. MAKE sure to use the SSID that your independent Wifi system was configured to use for the TV's -- Since I use Unifi Access Points I set up a unique 5G SSID for the TV network.

2. NOW before you bridge the GW connect the  Ignite TV box to your TV and proceed with the setup of the TV. When finished if you have more than 1 TV proceed to setup each other TV with your Ignite TV boxes. When finished with all the TV boxes NOW comes the critical next step.

3. Place the GW in bridge mode BUT do NOT disconnect the Ethernet cable just YET -- you need to wait for GW to finish communicating with your control station [either your laptop or PC] -- this will take approx 2 minutes. You will see in your control station's GW web page that the gateway is now disabled.

4. NOW remove the Ethernet cable from the GW and next remove the power cable from the GW and wait for 1 minute.

5. Power down your Router, wait for 1 minute then re power your Router.

6. Attach the Ethernet cable from your Router to the GW and then re-attache the power to the GW and wait for 3 minutes +/- 1 minute

7. from your control station see if you have Internet connectivity -- if YES your done and your TV's should be getting your Ignite TV stations.

Note: that I have no idea if the Rogers home Phone will work using the above nor do I know if Netflix will work as well --- Since I use vlans -- my Netfix and Phones are independent of Ignite TV.

Note2: IF all your TV's and Ignite TV were configured by the Rogers Installer and you do not have Rogers Home Phone but now want to go the Bridging route YOU can in the Gateway edit the WiFi settings and change them to whatever you may want to use in your independent wifi system --  after making the change and saving those changes start to follow step 3, 4, 5 ,6 and 7. You may need to go to each Ignite TV box and pull the power cord out then after 30 seconds re-insert the power cord -- all your Ignite TV boxes will now be on your independent wifi system and working.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
I Plan to Stick Around

@mozerd wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

@Datalink 

Just a heads up: I recently had Ignite TV installed in my Home and the Gateway model the Rogers installer used is the Technicolour CGM4140COM.

One other very useful bit of information for those that are interested in BRIDGING their GW is as follows:

1. set up the gateway; The gateway will prompt you to enter the SSID for your wifi system and password. MAKE sure to use the SSID that your independent Wifi system was configured to use for the TV's -- Since I use Unifi Access Points I set up a unique 5G SSID for the TV network.

2. NOW before you bridge the GW connect the  Ignite TV box to your TV and proceed with the setup of the TV. When finished if you have more than 1 TV proceed to setup each other TV with your Ignite TV boxes. When finished with all the TV boxes NOW comes the critical next step.

3. Place the GW in bridge mode BUT do NOT disconnect the Ethernet cable just YET -- you need to wait for GW to finish communicating with your control station [either your laptop or PC] -- this will take approx 2 minutes. You will see in your control station's GW web page that the gateway is now disabled.

4. NOW remove the Ethernet cable from the GW and next remove the power cable from the GW and wait for 1 minute.

5. Power down your Router, wait for 1 minute then re power your Router.

6. Attach the Ethernet cable from your Router to the GW and then re-attache the power to the GW and wait for 3 minutes +/- 1 minute

7. from your control station see if you have Internet connectivity -- if YES your done and your TV's should be getting your Ignite TV stations.

Note: that I have no idea if the Rogers home Phone will work using the above nor do I know if Netflix will work as well --- Since I use vlans -- my Netfix and Phones are independent of Ignite TV.

Note2: IF all your TV's and Ignite TV were configured by the Rogers Installer and you do not have Rogers Home Phone but now want to go the Bridging route YOU can in the Gateway edit the WiFi settings and change them to whatever you may want to use in your independent wifi system --  after making the change and saving those changes start to follow step 3, 4, 5 ,6 and 7. You may need to go to each Ignite TV box and pull the power cord out then after 30 seconds re-insert the power cord -- all your Ignite TV boxes will now be on your independent wifi system and working.

Another Note:  If you follow my Note2 and your Ignite Box's are not connecting YOU need to do the following at each Ignite TV Box. On the remote  press and hold in the Exit button for 5 seconds, followed by down, down THEN immediately type the special access code 9434 then select manual, find your Ignite TV SSID you created and proceed to fill in the details. :-)

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
I Plan to Stick Around

Here is my experience with recently switching from the legacy cable Internet and TV (and home phone) to Ignite.

I was quoted prices for renewing the legacy system, including my loyalty discounts, and for Ignite at the same level (bandwidths and channel packages). Ignite came out slightly cheaper, even with no loyalty discounts. What sold me on taking a gamble on Ignite, despite seeing warnings in the community forums of problems? Two things: (1) the promise of strong wall-to-wall WiFi in my big old house; and (2) the promised ability to manage the cloud PVR from remote apps. It turned out that neither of these things were completely true.

WiFi:  I was clear with the sales agent that my house had poor WiFi coverage and I was assured by more than one agent that Ignite would fix this (since everything operates from WiFi -- phones, TVs, computers). Well, the new Ignite modem may have improved WiFi, but it had to go into the basement since that was where the old home phone modem was located, near the 3rd party alarm panel. The resulting WiFi on the second floor was very weak -- unusable. No problem, the installer said. We just need you to call Rogers and add 'mesh' to your order. When we come back and install that, everything will be fixed. Great, except that a mesh (eero) base station plus 3 beacons costs an additional $18/month! A current promotion brought it down to $9/mo., but the overall package is no longer cheaper than the non-Ignite package. I feel misled and swindled. What should have happened? I should have been alerted to the fact that mesh was likely required and what it would cost. The installer should have the mesh gear in the truck, just in case. An agent should be able to add mesh to the order while the installer is still at the home.

Cloud PVR:  Navigating at home with the new remote control is fine. The voice-based search works surprisingly well. There were some minor surprises with how one records a series (you can't lock it to a specific time of day), but it is manageable. The big surprise is with the app on the phone or on a computer web page. The capability to record shows is not yet implemented!! This is particularly what I wanted -- like the old app that was dropped. If a new series starts when you are in the middle of an overseas trip, you can't set up the recording before leaving. (Caveat: I do see that the guide extends out two weeks instead of the old one week, so that would help a little.)

There were some smaller issues that required more phone calls to sort out. I was promised all the same TV channels as before, including my 'bonus' channel. This proved to be a problem for Rogers, but they have made good, for the first year at least. I was promised a discount off the Ignite installation fee. This didn't show on the documentation sent to me, but I am told it will be reflected in the billing. My assigned Rogers Ignite Concierge was never available when I called, but it wasn't hard to reach someone else, and they were knowledgeable and helpful.