Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

I have been wondering the same thing!!!
I Plan to Stick Around

@seadooxp30 wrote:

@StatsMan wrote:
Yes, the Gateway login for the Arris modem/router is 10.0.0.1

Presumably you have the user name and password.

As for the STBs that sounds like an issue for a Rogers tech

Do you have both wifi on your rogers and wifi on your router on? Ids your STB connected via Wifi or wired?

WiFi is disabled on the Rogers Arris modem/router and enabled on my Asus routers..

i have 5 STBs. One, the furthest away from the Rogers modem and in the basement, is connected by Cat6 cable to my Asus router (AiMesh node mode), also in the basement, the other four scattered throughout the house are all connected visa WiFi.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

Reading the several preceding posts I have a couple of possibly rhetorical questions...

- is it necessary for the user to be a wireless networking expert?

- what percentage of installs follow a similar pattern (vs running just fine ‘out of the box’)

-  is the problem that the installlers aren’t properly trained or that the product is unstable? (Ok that mane a chicken and egg question). 

The user does not need to be a networking expert, if they accept the Rogers WiFi setup, everything works fine. It becomes more complicated when the user wants to use their own networking, not Rogers, then Rogers assumes they know what they are doing.

The product is not unstable, I have been using it for 2 months with my own Unifi network system (hardwired) with zero issues. The problem is that it doesn’t work quite the way people assume it does, and unless you know some networking basics, this leads to confusion.

You need to get the WiFi connection working, then switch to wired - the boxes need both as there is some sort of paring that occurs between the boxes and the modem. Once you get WiFi to work, wired is easy.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

Reading the several preceding posts I have a couple of possibly rhetorical questions...

- what percentage of installs follow a similar pattern (vs running just fine ‘out of the box’)

-  is the problem that the installlers aren’t properly trained or that the product is unstable? (Ok that mane a chicken and egg question). 

I think that the installers aren’t properly trained and are telling users during installation that bridging the Rogers Modem/router is not supported and will not work properly with the STBs. Many users prefer to use there own routers and since their previous setup bridged the Rogers router they then try and change the setup after the techs leave.

in my own case, my setup before IgniteTV was to bridge the Rogers modem and use a single Asus router to provide WiFi and connect to a power line adapter to distribute WiFi in the basement. this worked well. when the Techs came to install Ignite TV (that’s right, I said ‘Techs’ plural) they found that the STB in the basement and furthest away from the Arris modem/router, couldn’t get a strong enough WiFi signal to provide a picture for the TV. They wanted to set me up with the Eero mesh system but $10/month for the four additional STBS. So since the Arris route only has two ports (the #2 port incidentally, does not support IPv6) they instead provided a four port hub/switch and connected the power line adapter through it as well as my desk top computer. This worked well enough but I decided that I wanted a stronger WiFi signal in the basement so I bought a second Asus router and set the two Asus routers in an AiMesh network and eliminated the hub/splitter. However, I still needed to use a power line adapter to connect with the Asus router in the basement to ensure a strong WiFi signal throughout the basement.

I Plan to Stick Around

@seadooxp30 wrote:

@StatsMan wrote:
Yes, the Gateway login for the Arris modem/router is 10.0.0.1

Presumably you have the user name and password.

As for the STBs that sounds like an issue for a Rogers tech

Do you have both wifi on your rogers and wifi on your router on? Ids your STB connected via Wifi or wired?

The way I got my setup to work (after the tech left) was:

Put modem in bridge mode (not totally necessary), disable WiFi

Disable IP6 on your router.

Unplug the wired connection from the Xi6a box

connect Xi6 to your own WiFi.

At this point you should get a picture on the TV.

You can now reconnect the wired connection (into your router).

If you don’t get a picture when you connect via WiFi, then you have more of a problem than I did.

It is possible to get the Xi6a boxes to work with IP6 enabled, but it’s a lot more complicated. It’s important to disable IP6 on your router, as the Xi6a will use IP6 if it can with IP4 as the fallback. If you don’t have IP6 configured for a specific prefix, the Xi6a boxes will fail to validate with the Rogers servers, and you get no picture.

If you use the Rogers modem (in router mode), and connect directly to it wired or via Wifi, then the IP6 is configured correctly on the Rogers modem and it works. If you connect via your router (wired or WiFi) with IP6 enabled on your router, then the IP6 addresses do not propagate with the expected Rogers prefix, and it doesn’t work.

You need to connect the Xi6a box via WiFi, get it working, then plug in your wired connection. Even if the wired connection worked with the Rogers modem, to get your network working over IP4, you have to connect to your network via WiFi first, then plug in the network cable. The boxes need both connections at the same time to work using IP4. Don’t know why, the data streams over the wired connection, but the WiFi connection is also maintained (just not used).

I've Been Here Awhile

I just had the cable guy (Rogers tech) install Ignite tv at my house Friday. After 4+hrs I cancelled the Ignite install and helped out returning everything back to its original state so he could try and make one of his two next appointments that he had that day (peace worker). 

The cable guy is not the network guy, further training would be needed to perform this task efficiently.

Issues:

-black screens on all 4 tv’s

-remote not recognizing my Anthem MRX 720 (AVR) in living rm

-remote not recognizing Samsung tv in garage, thinks it’s a Denon (the AVR is a Denon)

Original setup:

-Network: Rogers and an Apple AirPort Extreme 

-living rm: Rogers 4K box, 4K AVR, Apple TV, 4K Samsung tv, Harmony Elite

-garage: Rogers HD box, AVR, Apple TV, Samsung tv

-bedrooms x2: Rodgers HD box, tv

This is a Networking issue first, then a compatibility issue next.

I believe with the correct technician, the first issue could be solved easily. The second issue, remote not recognizing my Anthem (mada in Canada) could possibly be solved by using the Harmony instead. With all the networking issues we did not get to that stage to test.

I will reach out to Rogers today to go over the frustration and possibly try again or cut out the Rogers tv boxes and get Apple TV4K/Bluray4K player and Stream. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I have an Anthem 720 as well. 

It’s an annoyance to have to use the dedicated Anthem remote just to change the volume. (But admittedly a first-world problem)

If if anyone can sort this one out I’d be very appreciative. 

I've Been Here Awhile

A quick search on web for Comcast xfinity and Anthem resulted in Comcast not wanting to add Anthem to the list...maybe Rogers has this ability? Anthem is Canadian made like Rogers...

I'm a Senior Advisor

@RichardF wrote:

When Ignite TV was introduced for early adopters, I looked into it but decided against it in my case, for various reasons.  While a lot of people are having no problems with it, we're now seeing quite a few that have turned out to be nightmares. Right away a lot of people objected to the high $150 setup charge, especially if their installation went quickly and smoothly. However, when I read about installations taking half a day and even then not working, I can see the reason.  Clearly there are not enough adequately skilled techs available, especially when some customers have unconventional setups and want to keep using their expensive routers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah I’d really like to know the split of straight forward / difficult.

Also, could there be a sort of checklist / decision tree to identify problematic setups.  

In in my case I can see a couple of potential issues.   One is that I have two networks, one for music  and video streaming and one for everything else.   There is an Airport Express and a Logitech Squeezebox on the streaming network.   Also Harmony Hub for smart remote.  The other is that I have a range extender.  So with 2.4 and 5 g and a guest network there’s actually seven SSIDS listed.   And I don’t really want to get into the expense of Mesh.   I can’t see a critical reason to switch, but quite a few very nice to haves.  And finally, Lutron wireless lights in kitchen and basement.

Would this be a simple install or not.   

Oh and just for fun, Rogers have been out every three or four years over the twenty odd years we’ve been here to fix something with the cable signal coming into the house. Things are good now but every so often we get some issue that is usually blamed on poor signal strength coming in.

Am I wrong to be nervous about trying Ignite?