Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@pitfall21 : Rogers sends the same signal to the box as the broadcaster sends to them.  So, 720P for 720P channels, 1080i for 1080i channels and 4K for 4K channels. There are no 1080P channels, but some On-demand may be available in 1080P.

Here's an FAQ on the topic:  See the links at the bottom of the FAQ regarding what settings to use, etc.  You're probably best to use "Auto", but feel free to experiment as each situation may have its own quirks.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi 57,

Thanks for the info!  I will set my 4K box back to "Auto" to see how it looks.  I am so tired of watching beautiful HD on Netflix or Prime, then going back to cable where everything looks smudgy/slightly blurry. I guess the sales guy lied to me and there is no point switching to Ignite TV for a "better" picture. He must have been a car salesman before.  Lol.  I never should have bought a 4K TV yet.   I should have bought a much larger 1080P TV for the same price, which probably looks nicer with today's tv signals.  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anybody know how power saving settings exactly work?

Everytime I hit power on the remote it never shuts the unit off. I go into the settings and do a manual shutdown instead.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@tert22 wrote:
Does anybody know how power saving settings exactly work?

Everytime I hit power on the remote it never shuts the unit off. I go into the settings and do a manual shutdown instead.

Go to the menu/settings(*)/Device Settings/Power Preferences/Power Saver: On

This setting will power down your TV Box when you are not watching TV

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, we're at 63 pages with quite a number of issues raised.

I confess to just dipping in and out (I lost interest when I realised that the mobile App still has the same limitations as the regular offering.

But is any one able to post a sort of summary (or maybe a new thread) of issues and their current status.  Would be helpful to anyone thinking of taking the plunge (as I am but with a fair degree of caution around existing signal, wiring and my current networks).

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Ignite Modem - Gigabit WIFI Slow (Rogers Ignite Premier Install experiences)

Hoping to get some much needed answers to an interesting riddle and leverage the expertise of some of you pros out here on the forums as Rogers Tech Support and the Field Techs themselves have been stumped.  We're now waiting for a supervisor visit. 

So we decided to switch over to the Rogers Ignite Premier package with 1Gbps Internet. The first tech arrived only to switch out the modem and installed 2 new IPTV boxes.  It's an install that I myself could have done by just switching out the boxes but was assured by Rogers CS that we needed a tech as he was going to walk us through the new technology and show us how to use it etc, etc.  None of that ever happened.

The original tech was somewhat useless (lost) and I even had to suggest ways he go through the configuration menus in order to get the remote to pair with our TV and program it to work with our Pioneer receiver. Did we receive any instructions on how to use the new technology - NOPE! Had to learn it ourselves which we don't mind doing as we're fairy tech savvy.

After pressuring our install tech to show us the new things we can do with Ignite - he picked up the remote and spoke the words "Kids Zone" into the speaker. Interestingly, we don't have ANY kids. I gave my head a shake at that point. That was the extent our of introduction to Ignite. 

After the box swap out, I did a speed test and noticed that none of our Internet speeds improved. Used to have the 100Mbps Internet plan. Since we were not getting our Gigabit at the point we were "assured" by our original tech that the speeds would improve. They didn't. 

After calling tech support, they "assured" us we would receive a visit the next day and marked it down as a failed install. Wifi bandwidth was no where near the Gigabit and hardwired connection was much slower than the wifi. Which was really strange. 

Second tech come out today, swapped out the modem, ran new lines and we determined that our LAN cable was causing the slow speeds being hardwired in. Got the correct cable and we were getting speeds of approx. 940Mbps "as advertised". Interestingly, after changing the wall plate hoping to improve our Wi-Fi signal (instructions from a supervisor) our upload is now capped at 20Mbps rather than the previous 30Mbps that we were getting before as part of this package. All this just boggles the mind..lol. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 3.03.14 PM.png

Then he proceeded to mention that we would never get close to 1Gbps on Wifi and that Rogers will only provide "up to" 1Gbps at the modem (hardwired). Interestingly, none of this is ever mentioned on the Rogers site - unless I completely missed it in their marketing. Do they honestly expect people to pay for a service that provides 1Gbps at the modem level? Most devices nowadays are wireless and connected to WIFI. This has to be a case of more great marketing from Rogers!!!

If any of you have suggestions and/or recommendations - would love to hear them. As mentioned, we are now waiting for a supervisor visit. Hoping he can run some additional tests and help improve our WIFI speeds. Have to say that I'm being a realist and don't fully expect 1 Gigabit on WIFI, but any improved speeds would be nice otherwise we'll be downgrading our package. Don't really have a need for 1Gbps if it's only for hardwired devices, besides the new modem only has two hardwire ports. 

Should we try changing channels or channel bandwidth options at the modem level to increase speeds? 

This has worked with our last Hiltron modem - got WIFI speeds higher than our previous package. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 3.31.42 PM.png

Additional Info

We live in a condo. No need for a mesh network. Wifi devices which are mostly apple products (MacBook Pro, iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, Playstation) are within a few feet of the modem. Current WIFI speeds are approx. 200Mbps. 

I'll provide an update after our supervisor visit. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Had a install yesterday.

To update my ignite tv is working in the kitchen. The remote code for a RCA model rt 1970 is 13559 (that number is not on any of the lists I have seen published by Rogers).All features of the ignite tv remote are working and control the RCA TV .

The Google whole home wifis (3)  are delivering a strong signal in all areas of the house.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another response bites the dust ..... grrrr. Had it typed up and lost it as your post was moved from its original location. 

Ok, for now, can you have a look at the following post, specifically the wifi settings and scanners to have a look at your wifi environment:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/429489#M54216

More to follow later ........

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@scarletxx wrote:

Rogers Ignite Modem - Gigabit WIFI Slow (Rogers Ignite Premier Install experiences)

Hoping to get some much needed answers to an interesting riddle and leverage the expertise of some of you pros out here on the forums as Rogers Tech Support and the Field Techs themselves have been stumped.  We're now waiting for a supervisor visit. 

So we decided to switch over to the Rogers Ignite Premier package with 1Gbps Internet. The first tech arrived only to switch out the modem and installed 2 new IPTV boxes.  It's an install that I myself could have done by just switching out the boxes but was assured by Rogers CS that we needed a tech as he was going to walk us through the new technology and show us how to use it etc, etc.  None of that ever happened.

The original tech was somewhat useless (lost) and I even had to suggest ways he go through the configuration menus in order to get the remote to pair with our TV and program it to work with our Pioneer receiver. Did we receive any instructions on how to use the new technology - NOPE! Had to learn it ourselves which we don't mind doing as we're fairy tech savvy.

After pressuring our install tech to show us the new things we can do with Ignite - he picked up the remote and spoke the words "Kids Zone" into the speaker. Interestingly, we don't have ANY kids. I gave my head a shake at that point. That was the extent our of introduction to Ignite. 

After the box swap out, I did a speed test and noticed that none of our Internet speeds improved. Used to have the 100Mbps Internet plan. Since we were not getting our Gigabit at the point we were "assured" by our original tech that the speeds would improve. They didn't. 

After calling tech support, they "assured" us we would receive a visit the next day and marked it down as a failed install. Wifi bandwidth was no where near the Gigabit and hardwired connection was much slower than the wifi. Which was really strange. 

Second tech come out today, swapped out the modem, ran new lines and we determined that our LAN cable was causing the slow speeds being hardwired in. Got the correct cable and we were getting speeds of approx. 940Mbps "as advertised". Interestingly, after changing the wall plate hoping to improve our Wi-Fi signal (instructions from a supervisor) our upload is now capped at 20Mbps rather than the previous 30Mbps that we were getting before as part of this package. All this just boggles the mind..lol. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 3.03.14 PM.png

Then he proceeded to mention that we would never get close to 1Gbps on Wifi and that Rogers will only provide "up to" 1Gbps at the modem (hardwired). Interestingly, none of this is ever mentioned on the Rogers site - unless I completely missed it in their marketing. Do they honestly expect people to pay for a service that provides 1Gbps at the modem level? Most devices nowadays are wireless and connected to WIFI. This has to be a case of more great marketing from Rogers!!!

If any of you have suggestions and/or recommendations - would love to hear them. As mentioned, we are now waiting for a supervisor visit. Hoping he can run some additional tests and help improve our WIFI speeds. Have to say that I'm being a realist and don't fully expect 1 Gigabit on WIFI, but any improved speeds would be nice otherwise we'll be downgrading our package. Don't really have a need for 1Gbps if it's only for hardwired devices, besides the new modem only has two hardwire ports. 

Should we try changing channels or channel bandwidth options at the modem level to increase speeds? 

This has worked with our last Hiltron modem - got WIFI speeds higher than our previous package. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 3.31.42 PM.png

Additional Info

We live in a condo. No need for a mesh network. Wifi devices which are mostly apple products (MacBook Pro, iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, Playstation) are within a few feet of the modem. Current WIFI speeds are approx. 200Mbps. 

I'll provide an update after our supervisor visit. 

The thing to bear in mind about WiFi is that it depends on many, many factors, most of which are out of Rogers control.

The type of WiFi device you have makes a big difference, the fastest devices out there (Mac book pro’s) can do 1.3Gbps on WiFi, but you normally get 700-800 Mbps realistically, the next best devices get 866Mbps, some iPads/iPhones can reach this (500 Mbps real world), older devices are much slower, it all depends how old your devices are as to what Gen WiFi they have.

The next factor is distance/walls/doors etc between the device and the router, the fastest speeds are at the shortest distance. Then there is the number of devices on each channel, and remember you are sharing these channels with your neighbors! - their devices count as well.

Slow Wifi devices on the same channels as fast devices will slow the fast devices down, as the slow devices take longer to transfer packets, and the fast devices have to wait for the channel to be clear before they can transmit.

Having said that, if you are getting 200Mbps, that isn’t bad. Think about it, if you have 5 devices all downloading at 200 Mbps, that is 1Gbps as promised by Rogers (in reality you would be limited by all the other factors as mentioned, so you would never get this actual speed). The WiFi speed is divided by the number of devices downloading/uploading at any one time.

As you live in a condo, all, your neighbors WiFi routers are using the same channels you are, so your actual WiFi speeds will vary. If you lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere, this would not be an issue. These realities are all out of Rogers control.

I see that you have your channel set to “auto”. This is generally not a good idea. Most people think this means “automatically choose the best channel”, but it really doesn’t. Usually it means “pick a random channel when you boot”. If that channel is the same one as your neighbors, you will get poor speeds - until you reboot the router, when you get another random channel which may be better or worse. The best way to pick a channel is to scan for WiFi signals on a PC (there are several programs that will do this I use inSSIDer), and specifically pick a channel that has the least interference from neighbors. There are only a few channels to choose from as wider bandwidths consume more channels (each channel is 20MHz, so 80MHz is 4 channels). 160MHz is 8 channels wide, and currently in Canada there is only 1 channel that supports 160MHz (but almost no-one has a device that can use this anyway -1.7Gbps WiFi!). So the current setting you have (20/40/80) is best.

selecting a good channel is a complex subject, as not all channels are equal. The lower channels are limited in power compared with the higher channels (by law), but this isn’t a bad thing! Lower power means less interference. The lower channels are the only ones that support 160MHz as there are 8 of them. In the middle are DFS channels - these are not supported by most routers, as they are technically shared with weather radar, so there are complex requirements around using them, so many routers just don’t  bother with them. If you can choose a channel in the 100 range, this may work, as they are mostly empty in Canada (Our weather radar is on channels 120,124, and 128, so those channels are not available in Canada).  Auto will not choose a DFS channel. Almost all people therefore end up on channel 161 or thereabouts - so don’t go with the crowd! Pick a channel in the lower 100’s if you can, if not go for 36. Of course it’s best to scan and see what is actually being used, then pick something that is empty.

Here is a chart:

North American 5GHz WiFi Channels

As you may notice, the second 160MHz channel is not available in. Canada due to our weather radar on channels 120-128. So if everyone is using 80MHz ie 4 channels (to get the fastest speed), everyone is on UNII-1 or UNII-3 - that’s only 2 channels! Solution, pick your own channel, and pick a DFS channel (as most other people don’t/can’t/are on auto), or 36, as people shy away from this channel (on the basis bigger numbers are better? More power is better?).

Wired connections do not have these issues (other than dividing the 1Gbps between them all), so you will always get the fastest speed wired. This is why internet speed tests are meaningless unless they are tested on a wired connection. And 1Gbps is 950Mbps in reality (due to protocol overhead etc), which is what you are getting.

In the real world, 200Mbps is plenty fast enough for most people, as your download speed depends mostly on the upload speed in the other end. Most servers on the internet will not upload at anything like 200Mbps, as they too are sharing their bandwidth between all their users.

Ok lesson over.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The tech was 100% correct.  Wifi has serious limitation.  There are many variables when trying to improve your wireless speed.  I advise you do some due diligence on your end before you get so upset.