Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Has anyone been having issues with channels not being able to maintain an HD (1080p) signal? Lately I have barely been able to get anything above a blurry, grainy image. There's nothing else in my house using anything more than ~5Mbps of bandwidth, and this is an extremely annoying issue to have with a "premium" platform.

I should note, I know that some channels don't broadcast HD, I know some TVs aren't capable of it, etc. These are not my issues. My box has a 1 metre direct line of sight to the modem.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@J3EBS this always brings up the question, is this a cable problem, or is this a wifi problem or both.  I'd call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem, just to see if there is anything afoot.  

Beyond that, I'd look at the wifi environment to see if you're fighting with the neighbours for wifi channel usage.  Consider loading one of the following wifi scanners onto a laptop to check out your wifi environment.

inSSIDer Lite:  Requires a freebie account set up to use it.  That is displayed when you follow the download link:

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/?utm_source=MetaGeek+Customers&utm_campaign=d4c1da8a...

Lizard Systems wifi scanner:

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/

A freebie home user licence can be obtained by using the Get Licence link for the Wifi Scanner on the following page:

https://lizardsystems.com/purchase/

Acrylic wifi scanner which is also free:

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/

Are you running the tv on a 5 Ghz network, and if so, is it in the channel 149 to 161 range?  Those channels run at 1 watt max which is the highest transmit power allowed by Industry Canada.  Beyond that, the question is, how many other networks are on the same channel, all fighting for transmit time?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have not been seeing the same thing on mine.. though may not be watching the same channels, so cant discount the channel being a problem.

These boxes work pretty much like netflix. 
If you are not able to get a fast enough mbps stream to the box, it will use a lower bitrate stream and be lower quality.

As datalink said, could be a number of things.
First thing, would be that the box is not getting enough signal.
Not sure how your setup is network wise there (just the Arris modem, arris + erro, bridged, etc).

To be able to get the service,  your plan should be high enough that you shouldnt be using all your download bandwidth.  (unless there is an issue that your not getting your full speed at those times)

There is not heavy upload at all?  Cloud backup, someone streaming to twitch, etc?
Choking out the upstream i can see effect the download.

I've Been Here Awhile

My plan is the full gigabit package (which in and of itself doesn't mean anything as that's just a theoretical speed).

My setup involves the modem connected with a 1 metre coax cable from the wall, on the floor beside a TV stand with open side panels. The XI6 is placed on the bottom shelf of the TV stand, no more than 2 metres from the modem. I don't have any WiFi routers, bridges, eero devices, etc. at all.
I Plan to Stick Around

Had my install a couple of weeks ago.  This early on they are being careful on the setup and making sure the Wi-Fi signal strength is good to all the boxes.  Several reboots initially to get all the updates and get things registered.  I can do all this myself but prefer Rogers doing it as any issues will point back to their install and not mine.  Also, right now you get a 12 month credit for Netflix UHD which is $167.00.  So I don't see the big deal on paying for the install as pretty much everybody pays for Netflix nowadays, so I see it as a wash.  We had an issue the 2nd day where an update went bad.  Concierge put me over to support and they got it up and running right away.  Even though it was fixed they still sent a tech out to check on it the next day and to make sure my speeds were good.  Totally satisfied with this so far and a relief to get rid of that CODA mess of a router. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should eliminate distance, etc. Smiley Happy
That being said, there could be interference, but that would then be likely effecting more devices as well then.

So could be that specific channel issues, if it wasnt happening on every one of them..

If your that close, and if nothing is plugged into the modem, you could always plug in wired?
Would eliminate any wireless issues 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@qwerk007, just to point out, the Hitron CODA-4582 is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  The Ignite TV Service Arris XB6 is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  They're all built on the same Software Development Kit, with some variations which reflect the particular model of chipset that is used.  The Arris XB6 is the telephony version of the modem, which has telephone ports embedded.  The other major difference is the in the wifi chipset, Hitron uses a Qualcomm Atheros  chipset supporting a 4x4 5 Ghz wifi antenna set, while Arris uses a Quantenna chipset supporting an 8x8 5 Ghz antenna set.  In theory the Quantenna wifi chipset should be far superior in terms of its max data rates, but, no one, other than the Rogers engineers knows whats enabled in the modems and what isn't.  Same goes for the rest of the modem capabilities, end users have no idea of whats enabled and what isn't.  

Edit:  Almost forgot.  There is a Technicolour XB6 which is has a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset, that is just entering service.  Anyone who is doing a new install these days might just get the Technicolour version of the XB6 instead of the Arris Puma 7 version.  Basically its a . shoot, just depends on whats in the van on that particular day.  I expect the Technicolour version to be a much better modem than the Arris version.  Time will tell.  Anyone who is just receiving one of these modems should look at the product sticker at the bottom of the modem to determine which version they've received. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the Harmony Ultimate and I called Harmony they helped me set up the Roger's Ignite Xfinity box. When you call their tech. support give them the info. that is on the bottom side of the box. Everything works the same as the Rogers Ignite remote with the exception of voice control as the Harmony Remote does not have that feature.
Hope this helps
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite TV and Internet speed load

Let's say I get 150Mbps does that speed get split between both internet and TV or does the TV part not consume from the internet speed? Would I need higher speed so there is enough for multiple TV watching devices and multiple internet users?

How is max internet speed affected and by how much or is it affected in the following scenarios:

1) If watching from set top box over ethernet to modem

2) If watching from set top box over wifi

3) If watching on mobile device and if it does used same internet speed what is the consumption rate for live HD show per device?

If I have 2 TVs is there another secondary device (set-top box)  that can be connected to TV. If so is it included and what is the cost? 

Is ignite TV accessible through browser for computer users or is it limited to an app on android/iOS?

Also bridged mode is pretty important to me (as it is more reliable for me) so does anyone have any problem switching to ignite while on bridged mode with their own router?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yes watching TV consumes portion of the 150mg Internet regardless of connection type, wired or wifi.

One X6i is included with your subscription additional ones are $10 per month. Same units for all tv.

I do not know how much is consumed when watching a show. I know 4k can be a max of 25mg. So hd is way less than that.

Ignite tv has an app and also through web browser. You can watch your recorded shows and even download them to your device  to watch off line.

Good luck. 

Bridge mode works fine except rogers will not support your devices if in bridge mode.

I am bridged with my own router. All 3 of my devices are wired and work 100%.