Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@dulewis wrote:

Looking for advice. Had ignitetv installed Sept 06 and as of today (Sept 11) home phone hasn't worked since and missing quite a few channels. Have called my "concierge" everyday since 06 (actually spoke with her once out of the 5-6 calls) and we've gone from being resolved in 24 hrs to give us 48 hrs to 72 hrs to today and no time frame. Was escalated on 07 and the "back office" crew has it but apparently they're not allowed to talk to strangers to explain the issue. "Work shows completed but the work order can't be closed for some reason" is all the info I can get. Can anyone here provide me with a phone# or email of someone that could at least explain if not resolve the issue? I'm no IT nor network guy just brave enough to be dangerous. Here's our current setup, rogers CGM4141COM gateway(wifi off/ bridge mode off) wired to a tplink Gigabit switch. 4 tv boxes, tplink wifi router, Synology NAS, printer and various others wired to switch. Wifi works flawlessly and TV is impressive but I'd like to get this resolved 

Rather than going through the Concierge, I would call 888-764-3771 (888-Rogers-1) and speak with Tech Support directly.  They should be able to provide you with a status update.  If you can't get any answers, ask to speak with a manager.

I Plan to Stick Around

@dulewis wrote:

Looking for advice. Had ignitetv installed Sept 06 and as of today (Sept 11) home phone hasn't worked since and missing quite a few channels. .....Here's our current setup, rogers CGM4141COM gateway(wifi off/ bridge mode off) wired to a tplink Gigabit switch. 4 tv boxes, tplink wifi router, Synology NAS, printer and various others wired to switch. Wifi works flawlessly and TV is impressive but I'd like to get this resolved 

This is a non-standard configuration. Did you convert to this after a standard setup, and was the phone originally working before the conversion? The install tech should not have left or as classified the installation complete until the phone was working. Missing some channels is a more obscure issue and could easily have been missed.

If you search through this forum you should find some posts that specify how everything needs to be configured for it to work correctly together. You can either wait for Rogers to fix (and they may say you have a non-standard setup), or you can try and resolve on your own. I would go back to a basic standard config, confirm that everything is working, and then reapply to config changes to try and identify where the problem might be (it is most likely in your setup and not at the Rogers end).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bplayer wrote:

@dulewis wrote:

Looking for advice. Had ignitetv installed Sept 06 and as of today (Sept 11) home phone hasn't worked since and missing quite a few channels. .....Here's our current setup, rogers CGM4141COM gateway(wifi off/ bridge mode off) wired to a tplink Gigabit switch. 4 tv boxes, tplink wifi router, Synology NAS, printer and various others wired to switch. Wifi works flawlessly and TV is impressive but I'd like to get this resolved 

This is a non-standard configuration. Did you convert to this after a standard setup, and was the phone originally working before the conversion? The install tech should not have left or as classified the installation complete until the phone was working. Missing some channels is a more obscure issue and could easily have been missed.

If I'm reading the original post correctly, the setup actually should be supportable.  The XB6 is in gateway mode and the Xi6 set-top boxes are connected through a switch.  It looks like the TP-Link router is only being used for Wi-Fi connectivity for other devices.  (I, personally, would put that router into "AP mode" (if that option is supported by the firmware) or configure it as an access point but if that configuration is working, I'd leave it as-is for now.)

No part of that setup should interfere with the XB6's internal VoIP ATA, so the telephone service should be working.  @dulewis  did not provide any details about what was/was not working when the tech left.  For all we know, there could have been problems with porting an existing phone number.  Regardless, the Ignite phone service should be operational and if it is not, Rogers should be able to provide a status update as to where things currently stand.

I've Been Here Awhile

should have posted on here earlier as it has been addressed, phone now works and i assume the flex channels take a little while to change over so we'll be patient with that.

fyi, nothing was changed since the tech was here. I forgot to check the phone line before he left. When he arrived he did his wifi tests throughout the house and said he couldn't match the speed or coverage i had so he just disabled the wifi on the rogers gateway and left everything else as it was. Seemed to be a pretty slick install overall 

I've Been Around

My TV is IR, my soundbar is IR and current Nextbox is IR. My now unused DVD player was IR. My Harmony works great and I have their app installed on my phone. I have no idea why Rogers introduced a RF device in an IR world.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MichaelYaffe wrote:
My TV is IR, my soundbar is IR and current Nextbox is IR. My now unused DVD player was IR. My Harmony works great and I have their app installed on my phone. I have no idea why Rogers introduced a RF device in an IR world.

I'm pretty sure that the Xi6 set-top box is still IR-capable.  The XR11 remote uses a paired RF link for Voice Control and to eliminate the need to point the remote at the set-top box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MichaelYaffe wrote:

There are several threads regarding using the Harmony remote with Ignite. It works just fine when properly programmed. I believe you designate it as a Comcast X1, or Xfinity, and Model as X1....

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Harmony-Remote-and-Ignite/td-p/432816/page/4

I Plan to Stick Around

I really can't figure out how Rogers can attempt to make people pay for this. The list of problems is a direct match for the list of features. Combined with ignite wifi it's the worst tech product on the market. Support is non existent. Ignite doesn't work while all other apps using the internet work. To fully list all the problems would take months and nothing has changed since I made the mistake of changing to it. If Rogers had any pride they would drop this horrible product. The best is when it doesn't work out is flippant about it. I had a contact in the president office but even he has given up. I spent hours today talking to support management and realize that they have no plan to fix things.
Well that doesn't seem to have gone as planned. Their words not mine.

I Plan to Stick Around

@lsheen6212 wrote:

I really can't figure out how Rogers can attempt to make people pay for this. The list of problems is a direct match for the list of features. Combined with ignite wifi it's the worst tech product on the market. Support is non existent. Ignite doesn't work while all other apps using the internet work. To fully list all the problems would take months and nothing has changed since I made the mistake of changing to it.

@lsheen6212: If you are really into figuring out how thing work then try and explain why it is functioning normally for many users. Could you also provide a reference to a list of all the tech products on the market with the reviews that Ignite is at the bottom of the list?

No this is not a serious request, but trying to balance you post. Is the product perfect or completely trouble free? No, but experience suggests that either there a setup/environmental issue or a fixable technical problem. If the problem was widespread this forum would be jammed with user complaints.

I have not looked back in the forum, but have you posted details of your issues? Maybe this forum can provide some assistance. Whatever the situation I hope you get it resolved.

I'm Here A Lot

I can relate to your pain.  My first 4 months of Ignite was pure . !  I talked with many, inside and outside of Rogers with little success.  They usually like to blame the strength of the Wifi signals but in my case I even had problems with a hardwired TV.  Then low and behold all of a sudden most of my problems were gone without a service person in my house nor any change to any equipment in my home.  That pretty much shows that the problems are remote from your home at their end.  Never did hear a word on what the solution was.  What really hurt was when Rogers dropped their price a few months after my . install and didn't tell me.  I happened to notice the price drop while surfing the net looking for solutions to my problems.  When I called about the price drop they gave me the new price and told me they would not inform me of it, as it was up to me to call them.  I wouldn't say that that is the best business practice for customer loyalty.  With all that said, my system has been working pretty good for 6 months.  It is a pretty good system when it works.  Roger understands marketing and business planning but sucks when it comes to implementation.  If Rogers initially installed what I have today, I probably would be one of their best salesman, however considering what I went through during the first 4 months I will always have a bitter taste towards Rogers for many years.  What a shame !