Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Yes.
You should do some speedtest runs with 5g devices {cellphone} and 2.4g {computers} wireless.
Then request one of the Ignite 150 services {$145-$165/mo} and do the tests again. This price is for internet, TV and home phone.
If you achieve > 75mbps for 5g and > 30mbps for 2.4g, you will have everything you need (much more than old netbox days).
P. S. If they try to charge $150 installation, fight it as others get a reduction to $50.
P. P. S. You should also ask for the Amazon credit of $100.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cwrb wrote:

...no point testing wired.  

The point in testing wired is that you then know what you're getting at the modem which is what Rogers charges for. Any wireless testing is only testing your WiFi and not what's actually available at your home demarcation (modem).

I'm a Senior Advisor

@cwrb, @57  is right. Rogers is not responsible for the performance, range and speed of your WiFi router. 5.0GHz gives you more speed at short range, 2.4GHz, vice versa.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

so many things I would like to add...
THIS FORUM S/B FOR MAKING ROGERS SERVICES WORK FOR THE AVERAGE USER.
THIS MEANS "HOW CAN I GET THE BEST SERVICE FOR THE LEAST COST".
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have tried all servers on the list and 411 mbps is my highest.  This is for wired internet and using speedtest.net.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately I think its more of an advertising 'issue' so to speak.. you see all carriers do it.
They will advertise the speeds. And they SHOULD be able to provide that.  Again at least to the modem.

But with wireless... which like 95% of all devices probably are using now a days? There are TOO many factors in place.
Let alone the modems wireless capabilities (which are not horrible, but not GREAT either), distance, interference, the wireless cards quality, etc.. all can come into play and effect the speeds.

There really should be almost a disclaimer on all the adds like 'this speed may not be fully obtainable on one device over wireless'

Really in the end, I am not really sure where 300+mbps would really need to be used that much wirelessly?
I guess if someone is doing a lot of downloading right to their wireless device (torrents, big files, etc).  But streaming down.. even should be more than enough for even 4k.
If your doing streaming up wise (like streaming to twitch, etc) it really should be done on wired to remove a lot of the latency, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think I said I use a wireless router.

And yes, a wired test, to confirm a 5g device and another test for a 2.4g device, will provide a benchmark for wireless usage. Provided the wireless tests are done at the same time.
The installer should have done these tests (with each of the customer's devices) and reviewed with the customer...and addn steps taken...if a significant gap is seen.
I Plan to Stick Around

@cwrb wrote:....
The installer should have done these tests (with each of the customer's devices) and reviewed with the customer...and addn steps taken...if a significant gap is seen.

I'll offer a different view: the installer should verify Ignite TV service to all locations, and to install a supplemental mesh system if necessary. If mesh devices were not necessary but wifi is not acceptable in some areas of the home then the customer may opt for the rental mesh devices (more negotiation).

I Plan to Stick Around

The point of discussion, in this section of the forum, relates to installation experiences.

1. Installer to test each device and make changes if warranted, related to the service purchased.

2. The customer, if unhappy about the speed, after the installer leaves, should do the simple tests (wired, wireless) with their devices (understanding that computers are 2.4g speeds and cellphones/tablets are 5g speeds).

3. In my opinion, if the speeds are:

a. Ignite 150 - 2.4g devices are less than 20mbps consistently, or the 5g devices are less than 5pmbps

b. Ignite 500 - 2.4g devices are less than 30mbps consistently, or the 5g devices are less than 75mbps 

c. Ignite 1G - 2.4g devices are less than 40mbps consistently, or the 5g devices are less than 90mbps 

The customer should ask tech supp to revisit their setup and advise how Rogers can increase the speed...without incurring addn monthly charges.

The way Rogers outlines these services is misleading. All customer should be aware they will NEVER come close to the advertised possible speeds in a coax world. 

I believe the Ignite services are much improved over the Netbox era and encourage all customer to consider one of them. In most cases, IMO, the monthly price will be lower.

I also believe every customer should install the Ignite 150 service initially. There is no cost to upgrade or downgrade.

Hello @cwrb!

I'd just like to point out that computers and laptops can also connect to 5G if they have up to date network cards installed. Video game consoles have 5G capability too if you choose not to opt for Ethernet.

All of my wireless, Internet connected equipment in the home runs on 5G exclusively ever since 5G AC WiFi became available to Rogers customers.

The way we advertise our services is not misleading in this case. The pros and cons of 2.4G vs. 5G are well documented and easy to find with a cursory Google search.

Regards,

RogersCorey