Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@Biollw wrote:

Problem: I have set a recording then subsequently cancelled it and all future recordings of the program. Now if I want to record that show again it won't, it cancel the recording.

I need to clear any and all flags for that show in order to start again. 

Any type of resolution ?

Thnx

So I went through each one of these recordings and set them to record. Today they are all set back to skip AGAIN !!!

Biollw

@Biollw wrote:

@seadooxp30 wrote:
I don’t think you can disable that.
To be fair that is not Rogers. It’s Netflix app
I have that on all my Netflix apps as long as they are on latest version including Spple TV and Xbox One

It's not the auto-trailer play that bothers me. It is the 2-3 second TV blackout before it that does. 

I have Netflix app on my Samsung smart tv and it does not blackout like Ignite TV box does.

I have figured this out. I changed my resolution from 4k 60p down to 4k 30p and now do not get the blackout.

Biollw

@Biollw wrote:

@Biollw wrote:

Problem: I have set a recording then subsequently cancelled it and all future recordings of the program. Now if I want to record that show again it won't, it cancel the recording.

I need to clear any and all flags for that show in order to start again. 

Any type of resolution ?

Thnx

So I went through each one of these recordings and set them to record. Today they are all set back to skip AGAIN !!!

So last night my wife set to record all new for the same recordings. Now this morning they are all set to skip.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wondering if you need to swap your box or something.
(Though that wont help, if its specific to your account on the back end)

I havent run into that issue ever.. though potentially we are recording different things.

Biollw

@Gdkitty wrote:

Wondering if you need to swap your box or something.
(Though that wont help, if its specific to your account on the back end)

I havent run into that issue ever.. though potentially we are recording different things.

Well was on phone with support. IP posed she cN fix that. After DVR sync we got off the phone so she could do her work.

Well whatever she did now has done the same thing to other timers. Now I can not even set a skipped recording to record.

I have 3 boxes and it is appears all the same on al 3. BUT if I go into the ignite tv app it shows the skipped shows as being recorded. . !!!

Guess I will call back tomorrow morning again.  

Oh and BTW hey rogers where's by October 22 bill...still have not gotten it....yes I am paperless billing. November's is about due.

<shakeshead>

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, sounds like your boxes are not syncing properly.

If you do call back, I would see if they can REMOVE the boxes, and then re-add the boxes to the account.

johjhas
I've Been Around

could you tell me under what name you found the Xi6-A box from rogers under the harmony set up ?

@Nick_W wrote:

@RichardF wrote:

Rogers Ignite questions issues

I'm thinking of switching to Ignite TV, but it's obvious there's a lot of considerations.  I've read through this thread but parts of it are a bit confusing to some one who is only moderately tech savvy.  

Primary motivation for switching is Rogers killing the old app for the PVR.  We watch most programs recorded, not "live".   I used the app all the time to manage recordings; obviously when away, but also it saved shlepping down to the basement just to set up recordings.   To be clear, I was using iPad mainly to control the PVR, not so much to watch content.  

Secondary reasons would be improved UI, lower monthly cost (with internet), better internet and wifi, etc.    

I have a bunch of questions.  I apologise for any repetition over previous posts but would like to pull the info into one place.  

1. Does it "work"?    E.g. Download speed / reliability.  Recording one program watching another etc. 
  2. Is TV quality variable or impacted by the neighbours' bandwidth in the same way internet speeds are, or is it constant & stable?
  3. Am I right that firmware updates are less obtrusive than currently with Nextbox which likes to pick the middle of an important show being watched or recorded (not sure but this might be better on Nextbox already compared to a year ago)
  4. How does the guide's UI compare to Nextbox 3, is it the same or is it better?  I get the impression it's better.  
  5. Is the Guide content any better?  (Too many program descriptions are trite, incomplete or plain wrong,   Actors, Director, ratings etc rarely shown so I'm always hopping over to IMDB). I'm assuming this is no change, being driven by Comcast. 
  6. I’m surprised the cost is fractionally cheaper than what I'm paying for Internet (100u) plus TV (currently Digital VIP plus TMN etc) plus PVR rental (confirmed by chat with CSR today).  What might I be overlooking? ( Other than installation).
  7. Installation cost...  any chance of getting a deal as a very long time customer with pretty full packages, TV internet Witeless Home Security
  8. Will the CSRs do a good job of matching my current channel line up into the most effective Ignite bundle?
  9. Want to be really sure that I can set up / change recordings of broadcast (network TV) from my iPhone/ iPad.  V interested in using mobile to CONTROL the recordings etc, not so much to WATCH on Mobile.  [Just seen a post that this is NOT available]
  10. I haven't done the maths but how does the 200 hr recording limit compare, roughly, to the capacity of Nextbox 3?   We do get into the mid 80s percent range from time to time.   Assume a mix of regular TV, HD movies etc. 
  11. Is there a way to download from the cloud (e.g. computer) for programs one wants to keep more than a year?  
  12. We use Harmony smart remote in front of the box. (It also handles the other media, DVD player, theatre receiver, CD player, audio amp, Wii, lights etc.  We never use the Rogers remote).   I see quite a bit of chatter here about some of the programming for it.  Not sure what the bottom line is. 
  13. Wifi ... historically Rogers routers have not been exactly top of the line.  What are they using here?   I currently have bridged the rogers modem to my own router and an additional range extender to help with signal in the upstairs office.  Will that become redundant / still work?   I've seen references to installing mesh but not sure I want to get into that expense.  I already have reasonably good router and range extender.  The network includes TV, Wii, printer, Apple Airport Express, Logitech Squeezebox and Lutron switches, aside from mobile devices -  in an old 2000 sq ft house on 3 floors incl basement.
  14. Who plans the detail of the setup with existence network / wireless devices?  Current set up is more complicated than it probably needs to be for historical reasons and having some non 5g devices.  This could be an opportunity to simplify .  Do I talk to a concierge first or does the installer do it on the fly?
  15. Currently the modem is on a different floor from the PVR and it's hard wired of course.  Would the same still apply?  
  16. Will this work with a range extender rather than mesh?   I don't really want to pay another $10 a month for ever for something I probably don't need.  
  17. How does one access programs currently saved on the Nextbox after the cut over?

I will try to answer your questions as best I can:

1) Yes it works, and it works well. So far reliability is 100% but your mileage may vary.

2) My TV quality is excellent (better than before). It has not varied, but of course I have no way of knowing what my neighbors are doing. One TV uses 7Mb/s of bandwidth, so I don't see this being a big deal. recordings happen "in the cloud" not in your house, so that doesn't impact bandwidth use.

3) You can choose the time for firmware updates, default is set to 2:00am-4:00am

4) The UI is vastly better than the Nextbox 3, it is responsive, channel changes are instant and the voice interface is fantastic (my wife likes it!). Big plus just to get this.

5) Don't know if the guide content is better, there is a lot of info, cast/crew details, descriptions, new/repeat etc.

6) For me the cost was a wash. Depends on what you switch from/to and what discounts you were getting.

7) No deals on installation cost, but I got Netflix free for a year ($167 Netflix account credit). So that covered it

😎 The CSR matched my current channel line up exactly, no confusion at all. After that, you can swap flex channels as you want. I just left it as they set it up.

9) No, cant do this at the moment (but it's not a technical limitation)

10) 200h recording limit is the same as the old Nextbox 3, if you did not have a DVR extender. Programs are only saved for 1 year (or until you delete/space is needed). It is much easier to manage space though.

11) There is a way to download a recorded program to a computer, but this is intended for viewing offline, not permanent storage. it expires after 30 days. So I would say no, you can't keep things for longer than 1 year.

12) My harmony works fine with the Xi6a. I'm using the Harmony Elite with hub, but the codes are in the harmony database. IR and RF work just fine with the Xi6a (the supplied remote is RF for the Xi6a, and IR for TV, Audio Amp etc).

13) WiFi - they are using an Arris (Intel Puma 7) or Technicolor (broadcom) modem/router. If the WiFi signal to the Xi6a is not good, they can install the optional mesh extension. It's supposed to be quite good, but I don't use it, I have the modem in bridged mode, with my own router and AP's (Unifi system). My Xi6a's are both hard wired to my network (but they work on WiFi also - I tested them).

14) Didn't seem to be much planning involved, the tech turned up, swapped the modem (I had to give him the access ip and password as he didn't know it), set up the Xi6a boxes (hardwired) and left. I reconfigured everything after he left. They don't support bridged mode, so if you use that, you are on your own. I don't think that you can expect rogers to replan your existing network for you.

15) No hard wiring at the TV required - the co-ax is not used. So modem is connected to the co-ax in the basement (hardwired as before), after that it's all networked (WiFi/Ethernet). As long as you have a reasonable WiFi signal where you want the Xi6a boxes, you are good. You can now put your TV's anywhere you have WiFi.

16) Probably, but hard to say, it's just WiFi, but there are a lot of variables with WiFi signals.

17) You can't - they are gone for good.

Hope this helps.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I believe you need to choose one of the Comcast X1 boxes.

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Biollw!

Sorry to hear it's happening on all boxes! I can only imagine how confusingly irritating this all must be O.O. If you're still in need of assistance I'll be happy to help. Shoot us a PM @CommunityHelps and we can take a look.  If you are not familiar with our private messaging system you can check out our Blog.

RogersAndy

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

Is anyone else having problems trying to watch their recorded programs on laptop/desktop? I have been able to log in and see the screens with all my recorded programs but when I try and watch one I get the message:

"Well that didn’t go as planned...

We’re having trouble playing this recording. We checked for this program On Demand but, unfortunately, it is not available. Please try watching another program."

I've tried one of my TV's but am having trouble watching anything at all. Live TV eventually comes on but response is extremely slow even after restarting my stb. Signal strength on the stb is -41db which is good so I don't understand the issue unless it's a problem at the head end.

I guess I'll have to call my concierge.