Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

I was under the impression that Ignite TV’s bandwidth is completely independent and doesn’t affect your internet bandwidth (this is what the install tech told me) could someone please clarify? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, a lot of the techs, beyond the setup and what they need to do for that, are not super technical minded and dont know all the details (or are using different terminology)

It does effect the bandwidth.  So if you have the 150mbps, and had 3 TVs running 15mbps streams, that you would only have 105mbps left.

Now, it would be possible for them, to have it not effect 'usage', that those streams wouldnt count towards your usage.  But that point is moot as all plans for Ignite, as they are unlimited.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Charles1234  Ignite TV and Internet traffic definitely share the same link.  However, with my 150u bundle, speed tests (and large file downloads) also show that I typically get 190+ Mb/s of available bandwidth.  With all three TVs active, I'm still getting better than the "advertised speed" for Internet.

I'm Here A Lot

Interesting to know, I’m on 500u so it shouldn’t be an issue and am the primary internet user in the house.

Let me setup a scenario and see if anyone can give a recommendation. I download my ps4 games digitally what would be the best way to control traffic so my game download doesn’t use all/most of the bandwidth and bog down the ignite terminals?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Charles1234 you would need a router or managed switch connected to one of the modem's ethernet ports, that would in turn connect to the ps4 or any other device that requires bandwidth limitation.  That router wouldn't necessarily provide any DHCP services, its just there to limit the bandwidth to any connected devices.  

Is there any function available on the app to limit bandwidth to any devices?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Charles1234 wrote:
Interesting to know, I’m on 500u so it shouldn’t be an issue and am the primary internet user in the house.

Let me setup a scenario and see if anyone can give a recommendation. I download my ps4 games digitally what would be the best way to control traffic so my game download doesn’t use all/most of the bandwidth and bog down the ignite terminals?

I wouldn't worry about doing any traffic prioritization unless it actually becomes a problem.  Ignite TV traffic is sent as unicast streams with adaptive bitrates.  You'll see bursts of traffic sent every few seconds (rather than a continuous, relatively-lower bitrate multicast stream, like on Fibe TV).  If your network REALLY bogs down, you might see the Ignite TV picture freeze momentarily and occasionally downshift to a lower-quality.  However, in practice, Ignite TV should perform well even with some network congestion and occasional packet loss.

I've Been Around

I will never suggest anyone to switch from cable to ignite.

I do not like the new guide/remote other than the voice activation feature. That is the least of my issues/complaints.

I have had nothing but problems with no sounds, no picture and the picture freezing constantly.

Oh, and if it's windy or if there is a storm outside, forgot about watching a program. It is extremely frustrating.

Equally frustrating as trying to contact someone at Rogers to discuss the issues. Having someone each and every time to tell me that I have to unplug my modem or the rogers box. REALLY, REALLY, SERIOUSLY!!!????

I shouldn't have to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rogers, in my opinion, should have done a lot more testing before they rolled this out and toted it as such a great thing.

Oh, has anyone tried logging on the myRogers?????  Well, pack a lunch if you haven't. Rogers own site is slower to load and process requests that any other site I have every used before.

For the amount of money that I pay out each and every month, to me this is EXTREMELY unacceptable. Plain and simple.

I want to switch back to my trusty old Nextbox where the guide was better, there was no freezing or sound issues (geeze what a concept - no problems with your cable provider!!!!) but the thought of having to call and deal with the frigging Rogers call people to make the switch back makes me want to have a heart attack.

I will be cancelling my service at Rogers and switching to another provider.

I've Been Here Awhile

Very good experience moving from Legacy to Ignite. Granted, I am in a one floor apartment and therefore installation should be somewhat easier.

I've had a few friends over and they're impressed with the quality of the picture and the small size of the XB6-T and the Xi6-T. Three are seriously thinking of moving from Bell to Rogers. I have told them about the lack of battery backup on the phone and the upload speed difference but like me, that's not a big deal for them.

Overall I am very pleased with Rogers.

I even moved the modem from the living room to the bedroom so I could connect the modem directly to a phone jack and now my wall phone works. No difference in internet speeds or TV picture quality either.

I'd like to thank the mods and experts that give their valuable time here answering questions and giving tips for this new service.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

100% agree!!  I would like to give you a like on your post, but I guess it won't let me (only for positive posts?)

I also am going to cancel January 31, after 40+ years of having Rogers.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

But good luck.

Bill

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.