Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Just connected via Ethernet to the modem, disabled wifi on my laptop and ran speed test.. only getting speeds from 90-120 mbps. Most certainly something no right here

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@julray call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep to run a signal check on the modem and confirm that the modem is provisioned for 500(?) Mb/s service.  Let the CSR know that this is a new install that worked initially, but, is now delivering slow data rates.

1.  The two modems shouldn't be up and running at the same time if they're co-located as they will interfere with each other.  Leave one of them off.  To run them simultaneously, I'd place them at least 5 feet apart, preferably more.  

2.  Reboot the laptop or pc and check again. 

3.  2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz?

4.  Load winfi lite on a laptop or wifi pc, from the following site:  https://www.helge-keck.com/ or the Microsoft store.  The main site will download the latest version.  Don't know if the Microsoft store has the latest version. 

5.  Run Winfi lite and in the second row from the top, on the right hand side, select the i for info icon to bring up the lower display area.  When that is displayed, select "Spectrum" to see the graphical display of the networks that can be seen by your laptop.  Note that the display will depend on the top selection of 2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz, or All.  The purpose here is to see if one of your neighbours has set up a new modem or router or mesh network.  The mesh network would cause the most trouble for you as it would cover multiple channels, probably or possibly killing your wifi network.  

6. With that display in mind, showing your network and the competing network, set your wifi parameters to the following to optimize, as best as possible, the performance of your wifi networks.  You might be already there 🙂

Check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n 
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 20 Mhz. In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  It will default to 20 Mhz in a crowded environment.
Wireless channel: 1,6 or 11
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel: 149 to 165     Use this higher channel range as it runs higher transmit power levels.
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

If you had to change any parameters, reboot your modem after the changes have been saved. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Modems are at least 15 feet apart. I have a direct line of site to the Rogers modem, Bell modem is around the bend sort of speak. Anyway, I eliminated wifi and did a hardwire test, only getting 90-120 mbps.

Regardless, I ran multiple test when tech was here on wifi, every result was 500+ mbps, now I am only getting 100 mbps avg through Ethernet cable

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you running the new Ignite TV service by chance?  

Call tech support 1-888-764-3771   If you're running the Ignite TV service, you should have the Ignite TV concierge number on hand which I don't know off of the top of my head.  I don't use the new Ignite TV service. 

Edit:  If you're pc or laptop is connected to the Bell modem, and you simply connect to the Rogers modem, using the same wifi SSID and passphrase, or, you're connected via ethernet and connect to the Rogers modem, reboot the pc or laptop.  In the case of the wifi network, even with the same SSID and passphrase, Windows should generate a different wifi network profile as the Rogers modem is a new network base station.  In the case of ethernet, Windows will generate a new network profile.  Rebooting the pc or laptop should sort out any issues due to switching modems.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@julray : Have you tried WiFi again with one device and then your laptop on WiFi, perhaps closer to the modem?  The reason I ask is that some older laptop Ethernet cards can be "slow".   Are you using the Rogers test site?

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok so this just got really messed up. Talked to Rogers support, the agent renamed the 5G SSID on my wifi to include 5G at the end. I kept saying, I am experiencing slow speeds through the wire as well so this didn't make a lot of sense to me. Anyway I currently get 333 mbps through the wire.. and the reading (Rogers speedtest) below was done over wifi on the newly named 5G network;

PING 13 ms
JITTER 3 ms
DOWNLOAD 575.3 Mbps
UPLOAD 21.8 Mbps

I'm not complaining, but go figure.

I've ran these tests several times as well.. so these are consistent results

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@julray what was your max download rate with the Bell modem?

Are you running the wifi and ethernet speedtests on the same device, and, for the ethernet speedtests, is that via ethernet port on the device, or via ethernet to USB 3.0 or 3.1 adapter, or possibly ethernet to thunderbolt adapter?

I Plan to Stick Around

Is there anywhere I can find a list of 4K channels for the popular tv bundle?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@julray wrote:

Is there anywhere I can find a list of 4K channels for the popular tv bundle?

Rogers has allocated channels 970 - 999 on Ignite TV for 4K channels.

For 4K movies, press the "Rogers" button on your Ignite TV remote, go to the "On Demand" section, go to "Movies"and scroll down.  You'll see a section called, "Movies Available in 4K!"

I Plan to Stick Around

My tech was excellent. Explained everything he was doing and what each box was for. In and out in under 2 hours. No issues so far.