Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Thought I would make a FEATURE UPDATE type post on here.  Some of these might have been here for a bit? and I never noticed fully.

- Amazon Prime - You can now access amazon prime from the box.  Its an app, just like netflix, youtube, etc.  It does require a prime subscription.  Logged in with mine, and it works great so far.

- Bluetooth devices - There is an option to add a bluetooth audio device to the unit.  I havent tested it, to know if when connected the device will auto mute the audio out via HDMI.   But this could be very useful for some who who say listens to the TV in the bedroom with a partner (most of the time now have to use audio out to basic RF headphones).  Might work with say other bluetooth speaker systems?

The rest of these things generally revolve around 'Parental Controls' type of stuff.  These can come in handy say with people who have a TV in a kids room, playroom, etc.
- Limit Recordings - You can lock/limit recordings to specific boxes.  So the general recordings could be available on two boxes, but not available on the kids one.  Could also be used say if you have an in-law/parent living in the house, etc.
- Full block parental controls - Can lock the whole box overall to specific age level, which I think will block all areas.  To access anything higher requires a PIN.
- App Locks - can lock out access to other app services.  So say allow Netflix but block youtube.
- Other more granular lockouts - Lock stuff specifically based on ratings.  Lock specific channels.  Lock just specific titles (say you dont want them watching just one specific show). Lock on demand from access.

As I get some more free time hopefully over holiday vacation, I think I may start working on a more in detail Parental Control guide for here and for the internet section.
Parental controls is becoming a bigger and bigger deal for many parents.   And many are not even aware WHAT they can do to help protect their children.

I've Been Around

just had ignite installed.  the only reason i went with it was because my current pckg was expiring.  i was assured that i would not lose anything.  i also asked if netflix was part of ignite and was told yes.

I now find out that i dont have tv call display anymore and that if i want netflix i have to pay an additional charge.  

I am not happy with this and want ignite uninstalled.  it is not worth the additional cost i would be paying

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bjsmitty  If somebody assured you that "you would not lose anything", that's unfortunate.  If anybody had ever told me that, about any service, I would certainly have taken that answer with a huge grain of salt.  Moving to Ignite TV is not like a software update.  It's a completely different product and platform in all respects.  With Ignite TV, you do gain quite a bit of functionality over Digital TV (e.g. tight integration with Netflix and other third-party services, to name one example) but the two products are very different and even the features that they share work differently.

I don't know what to say about "i also asked if netflix was part of ignite and was told yes."; Netflix support is but the subscription is not.

I hope that Rogers reviews exactly what was said on your call(s).

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm considering moving to Ignite TV from the whole home Nextbox, especially since the boxes are starting to show some issues, but had a couple questions.  I think I read that you can connect the boxes to a router acting as a wireless AP, is this correct? My modem would need to be in the basement and I'd be worried about the signal getting to the top floor.

Coming from the Ignite75 internet service, is the 150 enough if we'll potentially be watching a couple streams at once or should I try to push for the 500?

Finally, I'm using a logitech harmony hub/remote, are the Ignite boxes compatible?

I'm a Senior Contributor

I have the 3-Xi6 hard wired but have also had them wireless to my Netgear router and/or Asus AP Wifi

150 is MORE than enough. I have 150 with 3 Xi6, albeit they don't run all at once. Consider HD is about 6m/min and 4k is 20m/min. I have seen no affect on Internet speed on my computers when watching TV.

The Harmony one with hub is compatible but you will not have voice control which, IMHO, is the best feature of Ignite TV.

Good Luck

Bill

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Bill, maybe I'll give them a call this weekend to see if the price would be comparable to what I'm paying now.  Just hard to give up on the 4 Nextboxes that I own.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@davej13 wrote:

Thanks Bill, maybe I'll give them a call this weekend to see if the price would be comparable to what I'm paying now.  Just hard to give up on the 4 Nextboxes that I own.

FYI, at one time, Rogers was offering a trade-in allowance: a $25 bill credit for each NextBox 2.0 or 4K / $50 bill credit for each NextBox 2.0, 3.0 or 4K PVR that you own.  I don't know if this offer is still valid (I can't find the link anymore) but you can certainly ask.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@davej13 wrote:

I'm considering moving to Ignite TV from the whole home Nextbox, especially since the boxes are starting to show some issues, but had a couple questions.  I think I read that you can connect the boxes to a router acting as a wireless AP, is this correct? My modem would need to be in the basement and I'd be worried about the signal getting to the top floor.

Coming from the Ignite75 internet service, is the 150 enough if we'll potentially be watching a couple streams at once or should I try to push for the 500?

Rumour has it that the Rogers techs are now installing Pods free of charge to provide sufficient Wi-Fi coverage for your Ignite TV set-top boxes.  If you need to augment Wi-Fi coverage elsewhere in your home, you'll have to pay a nominal monthly fee for additional Pods.  (I don't know if this is policy or if this is just something that a tech can do at their discretion or with approval from their management.)

I currently have 3 Xi6 set-top boxes and the 150Mb/s service is ample for my purposes.  Budget 10Mb/s for each HD stream that you will be watching and 25Mb/s for each 4K stream.  Recordings are all done "in the cloud" so you don't have to worry about reserving any bandwidth for local recordings.  It's also easy enough to upgrade if you find that you need more bandwidth at a later date.  You can do this yourself through MyRogers; no tech visit required.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've had Ignite for almost a month and switched from Fibe. Picture quality is superior and the TV experience now with Prime support doesn't even compare. Much better technology IMO. I am hoping they soon support Disney +.

The upload rate is all I see as inferoir to Bell otherwise it's all better. At least in my experience so far.

I Plan to Stick Around

@davej13: your questions have already been answered (150/15 & Harmony hub) and I agree with them. However, you should be aware that the Rogers Ignite modem/routes only has 2 ethernet ports. If you need additional connections you will either need a switch or a secondary router.