Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

I’ve had my ignite tv since Dec 2018
I run 4 TVs, have a gamer in the house and all of us use wifi on our cell phones, not one issue for us
I've Been Here Awhile

Good afternoon

I am not at all happy with the service.  If every new customer with Roger's ignite had my experience with it, you would not have any customers.  It started with my first call from the concierge, Linda. The order was for only ignite tv with 1 box . I have been a customer for over 30 years. When I spoke to tina at sales, I ordered the bundle (with the home phone) and an extra box.l have had a phone with Roger's for decades. I want to keep this phone for access for my elderly family. 

When the technician arrived he spoke to your head office and was told that he could hook up one box. Close the order, then reopen and place an order for the second box. That did not happen . My account is stuck in limbo. Now I have one tv and internet,  but no second tv and no phone. I have made a couple of calls to Roger's, but I can not be given an eta for a resolve. A flyer from bell was dropped off in my mailbox.  I am seriously pondering this.  If Roger's cannot make good for this inconvenience and total unprofessional situation,  I will not want to remain with Rogers. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Paula241 the new ignite TV service is an all in one service, where a single modem replaces all of the previous modem in the house, and they would have included the internet modem, any nextboxes which are modems unto themselves, and the Home Phone modem.  The new XB6 modem replaces all three, and the Home Phone service is shifted over to and thru the new modem.  I don't know if there was any misinterpretation in the process, but, although you would still retain the Home Phone service, with your current phone number, that Home Phone service would run thru the new modem.  

Now, just to point this out, the previous standalone Home Phone modem had a battery backup.  Not sure how long it would last, perhaps a few hours?  With the new service running thru the XB6 modem, if the house power goes out, there is no phone service unless you happen to have your own backup battery running the XB6 modem, specifically a Uninterruptible Power Supply.  

Bell has the same issue, when they replaced an older generation phone with a new modem, where the older generation equipment was powered from Bells central offices.  This is part of a much larger issue of technology changing from running a central office connected via copper telephone lines, to hybrid fibre / copper systems, where the customer equipment simply doesn't function like their previous equipment.  In this case, Bells systems were powered from the central office and would remain connected and running during a power outage, as would Rogers Home Phone with its backup battery.  That just isn't happening now.  

As for the Bell flyer, be aware of what you might be seeing in the flyer.  Bell plays rather loosely with the term "fibe".  That could mean a fibre optic service, or it could mean a service which runs on the old copper telephone lines.  For the Fibe service that runs over the copper telephone lines, your maximum internet data rate is dependant on the distance from the local neighbourhood telephone connection point.  That usually maxes out around 50 Mb/s if your very close.  In my neighbourhood, Bell offers 5 Mb/s down, 800kbits/s up.  That's the result of running a service over the old telephone lines.   Swap that for real fibre and you could conceivably run 1.5 Gb/s down, 900 Mb/s up.  So, if you decide to look at Bell's service in your area, be very deliberate in your questions to any Bell sales rep.  The maximum offered data rate should tell you right away as to which service Bell is really offering in your area, old generation telephone line based service, or new generation fibre optic service which still needs a battery backup to run during a power outage.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

THIS DOES NOT HELP AT ALL.!! ONLY 1 out of 3 tv s are working. I stare at white screens when I turn on the inoperable TVs. Mg home phone does not work at all. I was told by head office that someone would contact me. That was yesterday at 230 pm. Almost 24hrs. I was put first on the list. Blantent lie. I have received no contact at all, except for you. I don't know if you even work for Roger's. Not Impressed at all
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, definitely don't work for Rogers, just a site volunteer.  You need one of the moderators or other Rogers staff member to contact you 😞

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Nope, definitely don't work for Rogers, just a site volunteer.  You need one of the moderators or other Rogers staff member to contact you 😞

@Paula241  ... or you can also contact the Rogers team online by sending a Private Message to @CommunityHelps 

Regarding your Home Phone, I'm really surprised that they would deactivate your existing Rogers phone service without moving it to the Ignite service.  Did the installation tech plug anything into the telephone jacks located on back side of the new Ignite TV modem?

I've Been Here Awhile

No he did not, but showed me how. We were waiting for a new order to be opened, so that he could hook up the second box and the home phone (sales did not initially input the correct order). He was speaking with someone at h/o who told him to keep checking for the initial order to close so a second order could be opened. It did not happen so it was left in my hands. After several calls I was told my order got paused and could take up to 7 days to resolve. Unacceptable.
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi. I tried to access the link that you provided me, but I cannot and cannot find it. Could you either send me the link or forward my comment to the correct area?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Paula241  Sorry to hear about your experience.  That is NOT good.  For what it's worth, you can always try to plug a telephone into one of those telephone ports on the modem... at least to see if you can get a dial tone and make calls.  Rogers can provision the telephone service remotely so it's possible that it might be working.

Regarding how to send a PM to the Rogers team, here's a link to a blog post on how to do this:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

Best of luck in getting this resolved as quickly as possible!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What a surprise... another botched install.  
This seems to be more often than not.. 
They REALLY need to get on top of these install techs, training, or just more QA to follow up, etc (fire the ones not doing their jobs!)

Now some of this might be from the person who sold/set up the install.
My mother in law had the same thing, where the guy didnt set up for enough boxes.. but at least the install did go properly.

But all that being said.. the tech could have taken a little more initiative.  
Ok, it wasnt on the order for him to do the phone maybe.   The whole 30 seconds it would have taken him to do it really wouldnt have effected anything.

I dont know if its a limitation... or just lazyness.. but these guys dont seem to be able to or want to do anything extra with these setups.
I remember all the time with cable before, when I had a tech out, would get them to do something extra.. or would talk and say oh can we do this? Yeah sure, let me get it from the truck and i'll add it to the work order.