Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Thx but yours is a non std configuration.
I am interested in one modern with wireless connection to two or more TVs and other devices...typical user config.

With the std config, the tech connected to his router as part of the install.

What are the advantages of the addn attachment (what speed deficiencies warranted the router addn)?

I Plan to Stick Around

Grwebster, let me know how having the dual Wi-fi systems work for you. I had the same experience when I had the Ignite service installed. I had a Linksys EA9500 router providing Wi-fi to my house (far superior to rogers modem). The technician said I could run the 2 Wi-Fi services. Within days the Rogers Modem started to shut off and reboot itself. Rogers technician came back and advised that this configuration did not work and if I wanted to use my Linksys for my ethernet connects I would have to use it in bridge mode. The supposition from the tech was that the Rogers modem was having issues due to IP address conflicts between the two 2 Wi-Fi services. I would appreciate if you could let me know if that is your experience,

I Plan to Stick Around

I think the solution is to leave the Rogers modem in gateway mode but disable wifi. This is how Rogers sets up the system when they install an eero mesh system.

I have two ASUS routers set up in AiMesh mode, with the router connected to the modem in Router/AiMesh mode and the other router set up as anAiMesh node. The Rogers router is in gateway made with both 2.4gh and 5gh wifi networks disabled.
I'm an Advisor

@StatsMan wrote:
I think the solution is to leave the Rogers modem in gateway mode but disable wifi. This is how Rogers sets up the system when they install an eero mesh system.

I have two ASUS routers set up in AiMesh mode, with the router connected to the modem in Router/AiMesh mode and the other router set up as anAiMesh node. The Rogers router is in gateway made with both 2.4gh and 5gh wifi networks disabled.

Would your setup not lead to double NAT? I haven't played with AiMesh, but I presume you can run AiMesh in access point mode... (the Asus routers certainly have an excellent access point mode for standalone non-AiMesh use)

I Plan to Stick Around

So far so good.  It might depend on frequencies.  The other thing I noticed is that the Rogers modem is using a total different IP set.

@Drfe99 wrote:

Grwebster, let me know how having the dual Wi-fi systems work for you. I had the same experience when I had the Ignite service installed. I had a Linksys EA9500 router providing Wi-fi to my house (far superior to rogers modem). The technician said I could run the 2 Wi-Fi services. Within days the Rogers Modem started to shut off and reboot itself. Rogers technician came back and advised that this configuration did not work and if I wanted to use my Linksys for my ethernet connects I would have to use it in bridge mode. The supposition from the tech was that the Rogers modem was having issues due to IP address conflicts between the two 2 Wi-Fi services. I would appreciate if you could let me know if that is your experience,

I Plan to Stick Around

I can log onto to either router and finger the ip.  My router is 168.192 , and the ignite router is 10.0. .   No conflict there.  That does seem to be there systems ip,set though

I Plan to Stick Around

I would of wanted to just have one system, but would have had to pay extra for the Rogers mesh system they install.  Tech told me the typically just put wifi extenders in.  Also asked the tech to maintain the SSID and password so I didn’t have to reconfigure everything, but he jumped right to having two wireless systems.

I Plan to Stick Around

@VivienM - quite possibly, but I really don’t know the disadvantages/advantages of running a double NAT. However, the Rogers router IP set is 10.0.x.x while the ASUS router’s IP set is 192.168.x.x. Does that make a difference?
I Plan to Stick Around

@Grwebster - when my system was originally set up in July I had the technician use the same SSID that I was running previously. I set up my router with the SSID name for the 2.4ghz network and simply added “_5G” for the 5G Network

Am wondering whether keeping the SSID the same for both 2.4 and 5ghz networks would be better? If that were the case would my wifi devices connect to the stronger network as I move through the house?
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:
@Grwebster- when my system was originally set up in July I had the technician use the same SSID that I was running previously. I set up my router with the SSID name for the 2.4ghz network and simply added “_5G” for the 5G Network

Am wondering whether keeping the SSID the same for both 2.4 and 5ghz networks would be better? If that were the case would my wifi devices connect to the stronger network as I move through the house?

I have always run it with the same SSID.  I was under the impression that some adapters connect to both frequencies simultaneously.  I get 150-200 mbps on wireless for download with maxes out Rogers on my tier.