Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Hi kgrosvold,

I was also told that you can't go back to digital as the Ignite internet wiped out the digital internet settings and it was a lot of work to put it back. As well my concierge told me there would be no new digital customers effective 2020, only Ignite internet/TV.  I am in the Newmarket area and I have had it now for 6 days.  No issues.  How do I know that?  Because the kids let me know the nanosecond the wifi is faulty, lol.  I guess if it sucks, Bell it is!  Good luck!  

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers maintenance guy called and said his test conclude there is a damaged cable from one street node to another street node.
Also said to be patient as he is putting in a work order for the repair. Thing is these type of repairs are done in spring/summer.
Though he did leave me his number and told me to call him if problem persists and or gets worse and he will resend work order as emergency and they will repair ASAP. I’m gonna try to be patient and to be honest the service has been noticeably a little bit better. Still get freezing but not as often and like micro second glitches. I can deal with that til spring if it’s not too often. I guess when he took things apart in the nodes he must of put it back together tighter or something because like I said a little better since the start.
Gonna stick around and wait before I switch(if I switch) because honestly if this system stops glitching and runs smooth it’s great. Picture quality is better and 4K is amazing.
I Plan to Stick Around

@pitfall21, the problem is that I do not have the option of Bell as there is no Fibe in my area yet (and likely never will be).  I would have to go back to satellite which I will never do.

That is horrible if I have to risk ruining my TV experience by trying this technology.

Kev

I'm a Senior Advisor

@pitfall21 wrote:

I was also told that you can't go back to digital as the Ignite internet wiped out the digital internet settings and it was a lot of work to put it back.

Wouldn't it be smart if Rogers saved your digital settings so they can be reinstated if Ignite didn't work out?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Kgrosvold,

I can't guarantee that you will also like Ignite better, but it's the way TV is going now.  It took me almost a year to order it as I was so afraid to switch based on what I read here. But when the prices and installation fees dropped I found the courage!  What would be really cool is if I could just use the Ignite App with full capabilities on my Smart TV, etc and not need any box at all.  And, you can't FF through VOD shows.  Drives me batty watching commercials! Hope this helps you a little bit.

There are a couple of things that I don't like:

1)  I miss the stop button!  There isn't one. 

2)  I dislike talking to the remote as my wife thinks I'm talking to her when she is in another room. "What?" " I'm talking to the remote. " "You talk to your cable more than me!"  Lol

3) When I record all the live Leaf games it also records the French Leaf games.  If I delete the French games it also deletes all the English games.

4) If I accidentally hit the sports app while watching a taped game I see the final score before I want to.

But there are more things I like better than my old 4k pvr:

1) All my tv's have Netflix and a PVR now.  I hope they add Prime/ Spotify and Plex.

2) I can record shows up to 2 weeks in advance

3) After I delete a show I can get it back!

4) All sports that run over are automatically recorded.  I had to always record the shows following a leaf game!

5) I have 150 download speed but when I test it, it is generally around 200!  

6) It's way easier to pick shows and movies with all the thumbnails.

7) This is subjective, but I think the picture quality is better!

I Plan to Stick Around

It's an old saying but still true.
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

You, like all us customers, are paying for a specific service.
If it doesn't work the way you were told when buying the service, you must complain persistently... and ask to escalate if you feel necessary.

The purpose of this community forum (IMO) is to help you understand your options by seeing what customers, with similiar issues, have done to correct.

Hello @kgrosvold!

Thanks for posting and your concern is more than valid! It's certainly a good idea to know all of your options before making such a big decision! 🤔

Although very hesitant myself, I took the plunge into Ignite TV late Fall of last year. I can say that I've been enjoying it quite a bit!! I've had to do a few reboots here and there due to things like Netflix not loading right away or my sound going out, but it happens very rarely for me, so I don't mind. The reboot only takes about 1-2 minutes and voila!--everything is back to normal!

Just to clarify how it works, once you migrate from the cable TV platform to the Ignite TV platform, it would be extremely difficult to go back to your old cable TV account. Also, we cannot transfer your home phone number from Ignite TV back to cable TV, so your phone number would be lost. Essentially, you would need to cancel your Ignite TV service and then open up a brand new cable TV account (and if applicable, take a new telephone number) if you feel the need to go back to digital cable.

I hope this information is helpful!

RogersLaura

I'm a Reliable Contributor

" we cannot transfer your home phone number from Ignite TV back to cable TV.

I was told you can port out your phone number to third party provider. So then why could you not then port it back into Cable TV home phone once it has gone to third party and you have switched back to cable TV?

So what happens when I sell my house? Do the new owners have a choice of cable or Ignite? Or are they stuck too with Ignite?

So what if I discontinue my ignite and then new tenants take over? what are their choices?

I Plan to Stick Around

So the question is... Is Roger's Ignite service ready for prime time. Based on what I read on various forums, I truly question that. I had the service installed in mid December and have had and continue to have a litany of problems since. I've had at least 4 visits from the technicians (next one comes on Monday) and when each of them leave they all assure me the signal strength is great and should be no problems. However, I continue to experience the following problems and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same and or have been successful resolving them.

Here are some of the issues challenges I have encountered:  

• Modem continues to drop for a milliseconds while playing games on computer (ethernet connected) and or iPad (Wireless)
  • The sound / voices drop for no reason.
  • The video skips sometimes
  • Received a pixelated picture a number of times
  • When using the Netflix app, it just stops playing and shuts down the app. This happened a number of times. After a couple of times I just give up watching Netflix on Ignite and go back to my Apple TV box (thank god I kept it)
  • When Netflix is previewing a show, the screen goes black for 2 seconds for no reason (annoying)
  • The Ignite box freezes and does not accept the remote signal (change channel, guide, etc.). This is very frustrating and have had to restart the Ignite box a number of times.
  • Documentation / FAQ’s are terrible or non-existent. For customers migrating from the digital Navigatr service documentation would be helpful to understand how to use the Ignite Services. I’ve used the Rogers Help function and it is not very helpful  
  • While the Ignite box is very powerful from search perspective, there is in my opinion functionality missing that was present in Navigatr and should be part of the Ignite service. For example, you could review the guide a week out, and or schedule a program to record on a specific day, at a specific time. For some reason you cannot choose to record at a specific time. If theses functions exist, I haven’t figured out how to do it.      
I'm a Reliable Contributor

"The Ignite box freezes and does not accept the remote signal (change channel, guide, etc.). This is very frustrating and have had to restart the Ignite box a number of times."

I had that also with my 4k TV. I changed the frame rate on the ignite box back down from higher frame rate to the lower frame rate and it does not do that now. I think it is Netflix flipping resolutions/frame rates