Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Yes, the Ignite modem has only 2 ports, so either go wireless or get a switch. You will likely need a couple of mesh devices which the tech will install and verify full functionality/speed to all locations.

I cannot provide any feedback on gaming performance. Talk with/negotiate an agent about your concerns and get some guarantees.

I'm Here A Lot

After a few months of Ignite, here are my experiences:
- Migration process was relatively painless. They missed a few of the TV channels I used to have, so had to chase after them to add them back. The service came with a free Home Phone as well.

- Hardware is all leaps and bounds better than other offerings from Rogers. The contrast here is like going from one of those huge cellphones from the 80’s to a modern smart phone. Everything is stable, fast and UI is very responsive. No issues.

- The modem/gateway is generally good. Everything is stable and fast, however putting it into bridge mode disables the TV boxes, so you have to run it in gateway mode. Still fast, just can’t disable the wireless and have to do more work port forwarding if you use your own router. WiFi is pretty fast - I got around 500 Mbit in a speed test from my phone.

- Not everything is perfect though and this last point is a pretty important one I feel. I was using the modem/gateway as the main router for my house since the wireless was actually much faster than my ASUS router. Yesterday, I got a notification from Rogers that the cwmp port is open (and I can confirm that it is via an external port scan). I talked with a Rogers tech support manager and they told me that something must’ve ran on one of the computers on my local network and opened a port via UPNP, which is enabled by default (and a bit hidden in the menus). My problem is that it is not visible anywhere in the modem settings that this port is open. Also changing the firewall settings to “High Security” that should block all external traffic doesn’t close this port. Granted UPNP should’ve been disabled in the first place, but I am really not liking that not only can I not see that this port is open anywhere in the modem settings, but I also cannot close it.
Disabled UPNP, going to factory reset the modem, rename the wireless and put my ASUS router behind it and go through it - just can’t trust the security in the Rogers one.
I Plan to Stick Around

Can't help much with your concerns.
My new ignite 500 installation (4 TVs) was flawless...maybe due to my persistence that everything be checked and review with me for knowledge transfer.
It is as wireless as you can get.
I see no lag at all.
I get minimum of 250 mbps on my smartphone (speedtest.net).
Everything works faster and easier than with the netbox configuration.
My only advice is ensure everything is tested (and explained) to your satisfaction before the installer leaves. If your have any concerns after the installer leaves, you have a concierge associated with the install you can connect with.
I'm Here A Lot

Turns out my issue is not actually my issue, but an issue with all of these Ignite modems (XB6). The Rogers tech was able to confirm it with their modem in the lab and they are working on a solution now.

That said, thanks to this forum, I was able to switch the modem over to Bridged mode and setup the wireless on the TV boxes to use my far superior ASUS router. Problem solved - should’ve done that from the beginning.

I understand that Bridged mode doesn’t work properly with some routers and there are issues with the TV service with some, but everything seems to work fine for me (no issues with live, on-demand, apps, guide).
I Plan to Stick Around

What was your issue that is now resolved by putting Rogers modem in bridge mode?
I'm Here A Lot

@seadooxp30 wrote:
What was your issue that is now resolved by putting Rogers modem in bridge mode?

See the last point here:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Installation-Experiences-Questions/m-p/437...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

New problem just showed up over the last couple of days, the sound cuts out for several seconds every few minutes. Video is fine, just the sound. This happens on live tv and recorded playback.

This problem did happen occasionally since install, but was maybe once a week or so, so not a big deal. Now 3 months or more after install, the last few days sound drops out every few minutes, sometimes 5 mins, sometimes 15, so random, but many times per hour. Weird thing is that video has no problem, just sound. The drop out lasts 10 seconds or so.

Also sometimes changing channel takes several seconds, up to 20 or more, other times it’s almost instant as usual.

This all started a few days ago, previously everything was fine.

Rebooting the Xi6a did not help. Internet checks out with no issues.

Has something changed recently? Anyone else with this issue?

Rogers, what’s the deal with the sound?

I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:
As far as 4K goes, Rogers does not need to push out activation for it to work. You simply need to go to settings, device settings, video display, and it will then check your TVs resolution capability and set the STB output to the highest capability of your TV set.

Correction, and perhaps this will help that person that wasn't able to watch the World Junior Hockey game a while ago. I was under the mistaken impression that in the STB settings for video display  that the STB automatically checked the resolution capability of the video display to which it is connected. Apparently, while it does automatically recognise that it is connected to a 4K display, there are two 4K settings; one for a resolution of 2060P30 and the other a resolution of 2060P60.

I found this by chance this morning when I wanted to watch the third round FA Cup match between Chelsea and Nottingham Forest. The match was on the Sportsnet 4K channelin (I think channel 997) but when I clicked on it I got a message that "Something went wrong. Please try again later" or words to that effect. So I went into my video display settings and only then noticed that there are two 4K settings with 4K 2060P60 being the highest and best setting and which was my setting. I changed my setting to 4K 2060P30 and went back to the Sportsnet channel and now I was able to view the channel in 4K. I went back later reset the  video display to 4K 2060P60 and tried the TSN channel and it worked; switched to Sportsnet and it worked as well,so not really sure what is going on.

Also, while typing this on my desktop I tried watching the Man U vs Reading match on my desktop and was unable to watch any channels. Got this message: "This Video Cannot Be Played. We've run into a problem while streaming Postseason NFL Countdown. (Error TVAPP-00206) "Diagnostics

I Plan to Stick Around

CF moderators, as a moderator mentioned a few days ago, it may be time to subdivide ignite installations into components.
Perhaps, ignite installation, ignite 4k concern, ignite non-4k concerns, ignite with router concerns, ignite without router concerns, as a starting point.
When someone searches for ignite, they should see a table of contents for the various sub sections.
Can a moderator set this up from the many items to date?
I'm a Senior Advisor

When I use my Firefox browser to access Rogers TV offerings, all I can see is Ignite TV, even if I choose Digital TV. The only way I can see digital cable plans is to use Chrome. The push to Ignite TV is very obvious.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario