Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@Biollw wrote: 

Not right. I have my Arris VB6 in bridge mode using my own router and several access points for Wifi. My set top box that is set to wireless works fine accessing my own wifi points.  Two others are wired and work fine.

Sorry, I was just quoting the support page which is all I found in my searching during configuration. I later found evidence that it is possible to join custom WiFi networks, although this is obviously unsupported by Rogers (even if it is more likely to be reliable than using the Arris VB6, assuming you put more than a moment's thought into your AP selection, placement, and configuration).

For now the powerline adaptor is working fine for the 2nd box so I will likely just leave it alone.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thinking about switching to the ignite system,  200%, the distance from my demarc to some of my tv's will be out of wifi range.  Currently, I already have a internet modem and telphone modem installed there, plus server, switch, etc...

I have my own mesh system installed in my house.  Will the ignite wireless boxes work on my own existing mesh network or do I have to install rogers mesh and have another frequency bouncing around.

Can I set the IP range of the main modem/router to the 192.168.x.x range?

lastly, ignite is 4k?

thank you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can change the IP range.  I havent bothered myself, i re set up everything on the 10.x.x.x

You should be able to use your own mesh.. especially if they are just an AP based one.   Just disable the wireless on the main unit, if your main mesh connects wired.

I dont have 4k myself.  But last I heard, it does support 4k.  But its not on by default.  You need to get them to push out the activation for it.

I Plan to Stick Around

@gstone1 wrote:

Thinking about switching to the ignite system,  200%, the distance from my demarc to some of my tv's will be out of wifi range.  Currently, I already have a internet modem and telphone modem installed there, plus server, switch, etc...

I have my own mesh system installed in my house.  Will the ignite wireless boxes work on my own existing mesh network or do I have to install rogers mesh and have another frequency bouncing around.

Can I set the IP range of the main modem/router to the 192.168.x.x range?

lastly, ignite is 4k?

thank you.

I have ASUS mesh system and had to use the rogers modem/router and just disable their wifi.

I see others put Rogers modem in bridge mode and its working for them but not for me.

Also if you call support with issue the first thing they want to do is put rogers modem back in modem/router mode.

There are lots of options in Roger that allow you to use the ip range. Yo just need to know how.

As for 4K, yes. With popular you get some sports channel in 4K and with premium you get some more...

Read this forum about Ignite TV pros and cons before jumping off of cable.

I Plan to Stick Around

@matted wrote:

Nevermind regarding the IR code question... I found these instructions in another post which I will try tonight:

1.) Go to www.urcsupport.com 
2.) Enter "Rogers" as your Provider 
3.) Select the "Code Finder" button below the "Rogers Ignite TV Voice Remote
4.) Click on "Add New Audio
5.) Select the "Sony" brand from the list 
6.) If you have the model number select "Enter my model number" otherwise select "I don't know my model number
7.) A Code should be generated 
8.) Follow the steps for "Setup for Audio Device Control" below the code finder and enter the code into the remote when prompted

Thanks for this. My problem isn't pairing my Ignite remote with my Sony TV nut rather setting up the Sony remote so that it is able to control my Rogers Xi6-A STB. The latest Sony remotes come with a number of features including voice control (not sure whether this will work with the Rogers STB as it's primary purpose is to control Google Home and the various Google/Android apps that come preloaded on the TV) and a set up process that requires using a provided IR blaster in front of the Service Provider's STB and following the process that comes up when one presses GUIDE on the Sony remote. Unfortunately, it seems that Sony's database for Canadian SPs does not include Rogers' Ignite TV STBs.

I have tried to set up the Sony remote using Shaw as my SP and t does seem to work and allows the Sony remote to change channels on my STB (this is a test in the setup process to ensure that the correct code is used for the SPs STB). However, the next step in the process is to enter a postal code so that the proper IPG can be loaded for the area in which one lives.

At the suggestion of some of the others members of this forum I tried using a friends area code in Thunder Bay where Shaw is still the local SP, but after clicking continue I got an error message and the process ended with a message saying t try again. I then repeated the process using the postal code for Shaw's head office in Winnipeg, even though the time zone issue would really screw things up, and got the same result.

I have tried to contact Sony Canada through their online support system and explained my problem but they have also misunderstood the issue and referred me to the same set up process outlined above. I wrote back trying to clarify the issue but have not heard back since. I think I may contact them by phone and speak to a live person.

I'm Here A Lot

Just had my rogers Ignite TV installed. I had 3 xfinity xi6-a boxes hooked up to my tv's .. 2 of the tv's 4k and 1 1080P.. All three boxes were hooked up via 1gb ethernet . The picture quality on the 2 4K boxes were set to 2160P 60.. Overall the image quality is superior to Rogers Digital Cable. The channel menu is so much faster along with rogers on demand. Much better interface.. It does take about 1 second for the channels to load sometimes, but better than digital cable. I disabled the rogers wireless and use my Netgear orbi mesh network.. I got the gigabite Ignite and I am averaging 920mbs download and about 28mbs upload.. For my wifi , I am now averaging 480mbs download and about 27.60 mbs upload. The speed is there and You do notice it. I am using my harmony remotes to control the boxes with no issues.. Overall happy and the installation was quick and easy. Note with the ignite tv, your new telephone connection goes on the back of the Rogers Router.. I had it connected to the main telephone jack in the basement so to use existing telephone plugs in the house.
I Plan to Stick Around

As far as 4K goes, Rogers does not need to push out activation for it to work. You simply need to go to settings, device settings, video display, and it will then check your TVs resolution capability and set the STB output to the highest capability of your TV set.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@StatsMan wrote:
As far as 4K goes, Rogers does not need to push out activation for it to work. You simply need to go to settings, device settings, video display, and it will then check your TVs resolution capability and set the STB output to the highest capability of your TV set.

Ah ok.  Thats good to know.

I had it sort of on the first day it was out, and didnt have it initially.  Probably patched it along the way with that.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I called Sony support. And I'm amazed!! They can now remotely access and control your TV! I knew that could be done with computers but had no idea it was a capability for TVs.

Sony support tried to go through the IR blaster setup process just as I did and they also had the same success. They tried a few things at their end but in the end came to the same conclusion that I did:  they don't appear to have the software for Rogers' Xi6-A STB in their database. The CSR that I was dealing with said that she would put a note on the system to advise their techs of the issue and hopefully they will be able to obtain the dataset and add it to their database and then provide a softwate/firmware update for the TV. I asked how long that might take but they were unable to provide me with a timeline but said t check if there is an update in two or three weeks and if not, keep on checking every so often.

I'm Here A Lot

@StatsMan wrote:

One thing to note is that unlike Rogers Digital Cable, the Ignite 4k boxes do not downconvert the 4k channels to 1080p. If you do not have an HDCP 2.2 compliant 4k display connected to the Ignite box, you will get a tuning error, even if you are authorized for the 4k channels.