Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@57 wrote:

Here's the Anyplace FAQ:  See the second dropdown for compatible browser information and the third dropdown for the link, etc.  It should also work with Ignite, although the Ignite apps (for phone/tablet) are different from what I hear.  The link for browsers should work for either service...

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-overview

The above information (regarding Browser links) that I supplied in post 728 (copy above) is incorrect for IgniteTV users.  Here's the correct information:

RAPTV is not available to Ignite TV users. IgniteTV users can have a similar experience by visiting ignitetv.rogers.com or https://www.rogers.com/web/ignitetv/signin

The apps are different as I mentioned.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you, that was very helpfull

I Plan to Stick Around

I have read the entire forum over the last couple of weeks but cannot remember everything and may have formed some incorrect assumptions about Ignite.

1. The Xi6 box needs to be active for a recording to made, i.e., if a recording is scheduled but the box is powered off like in a power cut, the recording will not be made.

2. Up to six recordings can be simultaneously made. This supports the previous point, and suggests that video stream is "received" by the box and it in turn "sends" the stream to the cloud for storage. This seems wasteful, e.g., 100 people record the same show and there are 100 separate recordings in the cloud, not just pointers to one recording.

3. Unless the box is placed in "energy saver mode" which takes 30 seconds or more to start up, the box is always on and receiving the stream for the last channel that it was set to.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Bplayer wrote:

I have read the entire forum over the last couple of weeks but cannot remember everything and may have formed some incorrect assumptions about Ignite.

1. The Xi6 box needs to be active for a recording to made, i.e., if a recording is scheduled but the box is powered off like in a power cut, the recording will not be made.

2. Up to six recordings can be simultaneously made. This supports the previous point, and suggests that video stream is "received" by the box and it in turn "sends" the stream to the cloud for storage. This seems wasteful, e.g., 100 people record the same show and there are 100 separate recordings in the cloud, not just pointers to one recording.

3. Unless the box is placed in "energy saver mode" which takes 30 seconds or more to start up, the box is always on and receiving the stream for the last channel that it was set to.

1. No. the Xi6-A does not need to be on. All recordings are made in the cloud so, if your STB is off or should you have a power failure the recording will still be made.

2. Up to eight simultaneous recordings can be made. Other than that you can make as many recordings as you wish until your 200 hour limit is used up.

3. Yes, although I haven't seen it take thirty seconds to start up; it's usually quicker than that in y experience.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks StatsMan. To answer my own #3 question: the box goes into screen saver mode after the specified setting, so no internet activity. I am guessing that when the TV is off there is no hdmi two-way activity so that triggers the box to go into screen saver mode.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi.  We just had Ignite installed on Friday.  We have two TVs one is a 2016 model the other is over 10 years old.  The older one shows a blue screen after being powered up.  It does acknowledge the HDMI connection but then goes to blue screen.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

I Plan to Stick Around

Did the installation tech not verify that it was working with that TV? That should have been part of their responsibility.

You could try moving the box (connected to the non-functional TV to the other TV) to verify that it is works with the other TV. If it does, go to Settings, Device Settings, Video Output Resolution and change the setting to the lowest possible resolution 16:9, 720p HD. Then move it back and see if that resolves the blue screen.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@phandlstewart wrote:

The older one shows a blue screen after being powered up. 

Make sure that the Rogers box is set to send an appropriate format, like 1080i to the TV. The HDMI handshake to these older TVs sometimes doesn't work properly.  Check to see if there is a firmware update for your TV.  I don't have Ignite, but there is probably something under "Settings" or similar to set the output format from the box.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this so if not, perhaps one of the mods could move it to the right thread.

I just bought a new Sony XBR-55X900F tv for my bedroom (which BTW, is an amazing TV). The TV comes with a remote that allows you to program it so that it functions as your STB remote while still retaining the features of the Sony remote, it also comes with an IR blaster to connect with the STB and has voice control through the Google Home app so I thought it would be good to use for my IgniteTV service. The programming of the remote is part of the set-up phase of the TV the first time it is installed but can also be done at a later time through settings.

When I tried to set this up in the set-up phase it first tried to scan the STB through the IR blaster and when that failed it asked me to name my service provider and then identify the STB I'm using. However when I entered Rogers as the service provider and the Xi6-A as the STB it couldn't connect. I tried again through settings using the same information with the same result. I then tried to set it up using both Comcast and Xfinity as the SP with their X1 STB instead of tha Xi6-A (using these settings did work to set up my Harmony Hub/remote until Logitech updated their database to include the Xi6-A as a Rogers STBH). While it recognised both SPs and the X1 STB it still failed indicating that an error had occurred. Given that when entering the SP the list to choose from only showed what appeared to be Canadian SPs. There was a choice of other which is how I managed to get Comcast and Xfinity but I suspect that the error that occurred is that because the TV is in Canada it wouldn't let me access the US SP's STBs and that because Ignite TV is still so new that Sony hasn't included it in their database or is it because Rogers hasn't provided Sony with the information to include in their database.

Does anyone know should I be contacting Rogers to get them top provide the database info for the Xi6-A to Sony or should I contact Sony to ask them to obtain the info and add it to their database and then provide a firmware update? Or should I contact both? It was quite easy to do this with Logitech and the were quite quick to update their database.

I'm Here A Lot

It is an intermittent problem which I hate!  :-)  The TV doesn't connect to the Internet, I said it was old!  We bought it in 2005.  I will check the settings, though.  The tech had set it up.  Thanks!