Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

We have a puppy for delivering snot and such. She likes the remote as well (but mostly as a chew toy).

I Plan to Stick Around

@Biollw wrote:

Did very well with voices right off the shelve. We love the voice control. "Fast forward 3 minutes and 3o seconds". Right past the commercials. 

"Weather" and any to goes. But you have to watch the word to, too, two. We tried "skip ahead two minutes". Doe snot work. Instead it searches for programs with minutes in it. Must use "fast forward".  

I've found that "Forward, two minutes" with a slight pause at the comma, works very well.

One other thing that I've not seen anyone mention is that some of the apps available include YouTube, Weather, Apps, and Stocks as well as traffic information.

Also, The Harmony Hub works with Google Home so instead of reaching for the remote to turn the TV on you can say, OK Google, ask/tell harmony to turn on/off the tv and it does it for youas well as changing channels so you don't have to even pick up the remote.

I love being able to program series, especially for programmes/events that are irregular such as Formula1 racing. Just say Formula1 to the remote microphone and then select series, record new, HD only and it will record all sessions of every race, including practice, qualifying, the race itself  and every pre and post event program. I set this up on the first day that I had Ignite TV installed and haven't had to programme the PVR since and I haven't missed a race, practice or qualifying since. Also, because the recording takes place in the cloud, if I have a local power failure the recording still occurs and if I want to watch something I can still watch it on my phone or iPad. The other benefit is that if the race runs past the scheduled time in the epg, the recording continues until the race is completed. It doesn't always include post-race interviews etc. but at least you get the entire race. With Navigatr I always had to extend the recording time by 3 hours just in case the race was delayed by rain or a crash that red flagged the race.

Someone (I think GD Kitty) in an earlier post was was asking about recording consecutive programs on the same channel and whether you have to add a few minutes before or after a recording to ensure that you get the beginning/end of each program that you're recording. On Navigatr this was a problem because if you were recording consecutive programmes on the same channel and extended the time of the first programme by five minutes or started the recording of the second programme five minutes earlier, Navigatr arbitrarily ignored the instruction and started/stopped the programme as if there were no instructions to start early or extend the time of recording. For example, on Mondays, CBC air consecutive episodes of Coronation Street starting at 7:00 PM. With Navigatr the last 10 or 15 seconds of the first program were cut off while the second episode started on time, however the end of the recording tended to get truncated. With Ignite TV the it automatically extends the first recording to include the first five, or so. seconds of the second recording. Likewise the second recording catches the last five, or so, seconds of the previous recording, so you don't miss any of either episode.

One other thing, now that I don't have to have cable to connect to a STB and can connect via WiFi, I have been able to take a smaller 20" flat screen TV out into the gazebo in my back garden and watch live TV, or if I prefer, watch on my iPad. You can also connect bluetooth wireless head phones (go to Menu/settings/preferences/device settings/audio/connect bluetooth devices) to the STB and listen without annoying the neighbours

I must say. I am totally satisfied with Ignite TV and would never consider going back to cable connected STBs.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@DouglasJM wrote:

@Nick_W wrote:

@DouglasJM wrote:

What are peoples experience with the quality of the TV signal?

I had Ignite TV installed at our new home on Sunday, so I am still new to it and not totally sure what to be expecting.  So far, its seems extremely obvious that your watching streamed TV.  Any shows with lots of movement or camera panning (movies and sports especially) the picture quality drops right off.  almost like a motion blur effect.  the pixilation at these times is really obvious.

The internet portion, as I understand it, is running the same speeds as the ignite 150 I had at the old place.  Was able to pull 22.5meg/sec there, cant pull 10 here.  I'm wondering if the overall reduced speeds is what may be causing the poor picture quality on the TV.

Overall, I love the features and menus.  Way smoother, and a lot more options to tinker with, just need to get the picture quality issues resolved.

I haven't noticed any problem with picture quality - however you seem to be talking about 4k TV exclusively. 22.5Mb/s is what 4k TV pulls, 7 MB/s is normal for regular HD.

Are you talking about 4k? or regular HD? and if its 4k is this Netflix or Rogers 4k channels?

The picture quality for regular HD on my set up seems to be superior to what I was getting previously with the old system.

What do you have the output of the Xi6 box set to? mine were set to 720p initially.

The TV is a 4K TV, however our package is only for HD content, not 4K content.  The Xi6 box was set to 4K UHD, but I have now moved it down to just 1080p which hasn't really fixed the issue.  Still wondering if I am getting a slow/poor quality signal into the home, which is hindering the quality.  still experimenting.  will see how it looks on a 32 or 42 inch TV vs. the 65.  see if its still as noticeable.

the 22.5 meg/sec is what I used to be able to pull downloading on the home internet, now less than 10 meg/sec.  My understanding is that all the TV's and internet are pulled through the same150mbps connection (I could very well be wrong about this tho)

You should call tech support and get a tech out. 

I have the 150u package and constantly get 150+ speeds.

Screenshot_20180926-153548.png

I'm Here A Lot

We have two Xi6 TV boxes on our LAN. We've be told by Rogers that they may be fussy in getting their IP addresses. I've assigned static IPs to both the wired and wireless connections of both boxes. I still see them connecting simultaneously to both wired and wireless, even though both are wired directly to the LAN. So, each box seems to maintain 2 concurrent connections. On the wired side, the IPs are periodically changing to 169.x addresses, which seems to indicate they're refreshing their lease but failing to get an assignment from the DHCP server. Anyone else having similar issues? I don't think there's a way to log in to the Xi6 box to configure anything, is there? So far, this issue is not affecting TV performance. I suspect the buffer is saving us while this stuff resolves in the background.

I Plan to Stick Around

@denetizen wrote:

We have two Xi6 TV boxes on our LAN. We've be told by Rogers that they may be fussy in getting their IP addresses. I've assigned static IPs to both the wired and wireless connections of both boxes. I still see them connecting simultaneously to both wired and wireless, even though both are wired directly to the LAN. So, each box seems to maintain 2 concurrent connections. On the wired side, the IPs are periodically changing to 169.x addresses, which seems to indicate they're refreshing their lease but failing to get an assignment from the DHCP server. Anyone else having similar issues? I don't think there's a way to log in to the Xi6 box to configure anything, is there? So far, this issue is not affecting TV performance. I suspect the buffer is saving us while this stuff resolves in the background.

I have my box wired directly to the modem and wireless through the Eero. Wired I get an IP6 address and IP4 over wireless both through DHCP, have not had any issues with either obtaining IP's (though I rarely check what the IP is). The Wired is the default connection, my understanding is both stay connected at all time for a seamless backup should the wired connection fail.

I'm Here A Lot

Providing for a failover event makes sense, but it's weird that the boxes seem to renegotiate their wired connection leases every 2 minutes or so. It seems counter-intuitive.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have both my Xi6 boxes hardwired, I found that they would not work unless I set up the wireless network also.

With WiFi set up (to my network, my modem is in bridged mode), they both obtain a wired ip4 address from my DHCP server, they do not obtain an ip4 address via the WiFi interface.

They dont renegotiate the IP address that I can see (I have a Unifi setup, that has a very comprehensive monitoring interface). I do not have IP6 enabled on my network.

The way I understand it is that the Xi6 obtains an IP6 address if it can, if not it falls back to ip4. The hardwired interface is active if plugged in, if not, it falls back to WiFi (where it does the same thing).

I have no explanation as to why the WiFi needs to be configured before the hardwired interface will work.

The IP6 configuration can be tricky, as the boxes need to obtain a specific preface, in order for them to validate with Rogers. The Rogers modem forwards the correct preface in gateway mode, but not in bridged mode - you own router needs to do this). This is why I’m not using IP6 on my network (well I never did, but that’s another reason for not enabling it).

On the Xi6 diagnostic interface the ip4 addresses are never shown, just 169.xxx addresses.

If you are using the Rogers modem/Router, the address used is the IP6, the ip4 is just a fall back.

Is this how your modem/Router is set up?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

"Sorry Ignite Tv + Internet is not available in your area", huh, why call me and send me letter in the mail then?

I'm Here A Lot

We have a similar confuiguration. No ip6 either. The second tech to come out post-installation (related to speed issues) put the Arris modem in bridge mode. What occurs to me is that we did not provide nor were we asked for the wifi password so how are these Xi6 boxes getting their wireless connection? How are you getting the diagnostic interface for the boxes? There’s so little operating documentation available. :/

I Plan to Stick Around

@denetizen wrote:

We have a similar confuiguration. No ip6 either. The second tech to come out post-installation (related to speed issues) put the Arris modem in bridge mode. What occurs to me is that we did not provide nor were we asked for the wifi password so how are these Xi6 boxes getting their wireless connection? How are you getting the diagnostic interface for the boxes? There’s so little operating documentation available. :/

To get the diagnostics menu, hold Rogers/Menu button for 5 seconds, Tap Down arrow 2 times, Tap 2 on the remote keypad. There’s not a lot of useful information there though.

when you say “similar configuration”, do you mean hardwired?

Are you sure that the Rogers tech put the Rogers modem in bridged mode? Rogers do not support this mode, and it requires quite a bit of your own router configuration to get this working correctly. How is your own router set up? (Is the one running your own WiFi).

Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.