Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

One thing I haven't factored in yet is that we have a second TV in a guest bedroom.

If I'm hard wiring the Xi6A boxes that means a second ethernet connection from the modem?  Can it handle that?

Can one Xi6A be hardwired and another on Wifi?

I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

One thing I haven't factored in yet is that we have a second TV in a guest bedroom.

If I'm hard wiring the Xi6A boxes that means a second ethernet connection from the modem?  Can it handle that?

Can one Xi6A be hardwired and another on Wifi?

Yes, you can hard wire one, and have the other on WiFi - any combination of the two connection methods really, as long as you have enough free ethernet ports. if not, just go with Wifi.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Use a switch.

But yes one can be hard wired and another Wi-Fi. I have 2 hardwired and one Wi-Fi.

On a side note If you leave VB6 in gateway mode you can still use your router for Wi-Fi, check if it can go into  access point mode. I have two other routers in my house just setup as access points. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Biollw wrote:

Use a switch.

But yes one can be hard wired and another Wi-Fi. I have 2 hardwired and one Wi-Fi.

On a side note If you leave VB6 in gateway mode you can still use your router for Wi-Fi, check if it can go into  access point mode. I have two other routers in my house just setup as access points. 

Yes, good point, I had forgotten that possible configuration.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you wanted to wire both, yes.
The modem has 2 ports by default, so could handle two connections off the bat (but nothing else).
But you could always run one off of the 3rd party router if your going that way, etc.  Or just a basic switch.

But you can do mixed as well.  As the boxes are not required to really talk to each other at all, as they both just talk back to Rogers itself for everything including recordings.

There is an additional rental cost for the other box.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

I can certainly see a lot of small to medium pluses with Ignite.  (And a big one if you have 4K TV).

Against that is the hassle of switching.

Logically the lack of mobile control of recordings is neutral.

The other factor is this is clearly the path Rogers is going down so the conversion bullet will likely have to be bitten at some point.  My guess will be that the current set up (Nextbox etc) will start being deprecated at some point.

The pluses for me were:

• Get rid of co-ax. Now you can put a TV anywhere.
  • Much better UI
  • Cloud recording - view your recordings anywhere, on any TV/device
  • Voice interface
  • Netflix/on-demand integration (no more searching multiple steaming services for a show/movie)
  • Picture Quality is excellent (BBC Canada in HD!)
  • 4K PVR functionality (I don't have 4K at the moment, but eventually...)
  • Get rid of all the Rogers boxes - no amplifiers, splitters, home phone box, Nextboxes, PVR extenders. Just one Modem and one tiny STB per TV.
  • Way of the future (I am a tech geek)

The cons were

• Installation hassle (turned out not to be a big thing)
  • Early adoption problems (none so far...)
  • Will the wife hate it/understand it (she loves it!)
  • Have to learn new channel numbers (actually everything below 100 is the same)
  • Cost is slightly higher.

There are a bunch of "apps" on the TV interface as well (which I don't use much) Traffic, Weather (all local), and the Sports app - I don't care about sports, but the members of my family who are into sports were all over it this weekend - They thought it was fantastic.

Actually the biggest plus for us has turned out to be the UI. It is so much easier to use, and so responsive, compared to the Nextbox 3. Honestly, you are shocked when you key in a channel number, and it instantly changes channel! what? - no more waiting 2-3 seconds for each number to come up (if they do)?

It's like night and day.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Voice search ... I assume that it has to "learn" your voice?  Can it handle two masters?  (Or rather a master and a mistress lol)?   It sure sounds easier than the current clumsy way of entering text search.

Do the search results load any faster, or rather, more reliably?   (I often get some sort of time out on loading search results).

I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Voice search ... I assume that it has to "learn" your voice?  Can it handle two masters?  (Or rather a master and a mistress lol)?   It sure sounds easier than the current clumsy way of entering text search.

Do the search results load any faster, or rather, more reliably?   (I often get some sort of time out on loading search results).

No, it doesn't learn your voice, it just works. We are British, so many of the North American devices have a hard time understanding us (my wife cannot get Alexa to understand her). Not with this, it understands her every time (this is one of the reasons she likes it).

I actually got a second remote from amazon, and added it to the Xi6a in the family room so she has one remote and I have one. Both work flawlessly at the same time (both TV and Xi6a box). Alexa can change channel (using the harmony skill) but as I say Alexa doesn't understand my wife most of the time, so now she just uses "her" remote. Instead of having to explain how to switch to Netflix, find "The Crown" - wait - wait etc. she just uses her remote, says "The Crown" and instantly it displays The Crown on Netflix, with the options for episodes, details, etc. etc. "Episodes" is the default option highlighted.

If you say "CTV" it instantly changes to CTV. If you say a movie/show name, or a quote from a movie, it shows that show/movie with what channel it's currently on, or next showing on, with the option to watch, record, episodes, on-demand episodes, more info etc. You can also say "skip forward 3 minutes" (on a recording), and it instantly skips forward however long you say. The page up button on the remote skips forward 5 minutes (but sometimes this is too long), and there is a skip back 15 seconds button. There are many other commands it recognizes.

As for searching, if you enter a channel number, it uses the numbers, but also reads them as letters (like on a phone keypad), and lists the matching shows/movies in a small sidebar on the right hand side. as you enter more numbers/letters the list shortens. when you press OK it selects whatever you have highlighted (ie channel number by default, or show/movie if you select it from the list). This is instantaneous (or nearly so). There is also a separate "search" screen if you want a full screen display of shows/movies. No more selecting letters from an on on screen keyboard.

It is hard to explain how fast and intuitive this is.

You do loose the ability to record programs from the start if you decide to record a program halfway through (it records from when you press the record button). You do get a "restart" option on some programs (not all), where you can restart the program from the beginning if you switch to it halfway through.

This is why I say the UI is the biggest benefit, it is literally that fast (which I was not expecting, having gotten use to the Nextbox 3 sluggishness).

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Did very well with voices right off the shelve. We love the voice control. "Fast forward 3 minutes and 3o seconds". Right past the commercials. 

"Weather" and any to goes. But you have to watch the word to, too, two. We tried "skip ahead two minutes". Doe snot work. Instead it searches for programs with minutes in it. Must use "fast forward". 

"Netflix" bang done.

I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe keep the Doe in the garden to keep the snot off the sofa?  Smiley LOL