Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qwerk007
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@RichardF, I'll give it a shot at answering based on my Ignite TV experience.

1. Recording takes place in the cloud so it does not impact your downstream.  I have had 2 recordings going and watching live TV with no issue.  When you switch to PVR, the boxes just bring up a menu of what you have recorded and stream back from the cloud

2. Not too many with it in my neighbourhood so no impact so far.  Drops in Internet speed or over saturation would have impact.  One would assume that Rogers is doing plant upgrades to handle all of this in areas where it is available.

3. They seem to happen for me around 2-3am. 

4 and 5. I find it to be very responsive and a so much better.  The ability to voice search, see specific groups (movies, sports), the Rotten Tomatoes rating is on most movies and the descriptions are pretty good

6. Newer service so premium price for now.  Once Bell gets fully running in all areas I imagine deal will happen.

7. Doubt it, been with them since 1994.  You do get the $167 Netflix credit which worked for me.

8.  They will just put you in the closest matching tier.  From there you can play with the flex channels to get there.  I personally really like the flex channels as now I can try channels and change them for others easily.

9. Haven't tried that and not sure you can

10. I currently have 6 hours of HD shows recorded and sitting at 2%

11. You can download in the app but they expire after 30 days.  Not sure of any other way.

12. Remote works great with my TV/soundbar combo and my home theatre receiver downstairs.  I still use my multi remote for all other scenarios

13. Coverage is pretty good, I have 3 floors and 3400 sq ft.  No deadspots but the signal does weaken in areas.  I normally bridge but wanted to try out the new modem.  Your own setup is better but the drawback is Rogers will not support their TV boxes on your wireless. In that case, hardwire the TV boxes.

14.  Installer does it there and they basically walk the house to get WiFi coverage readings for the TV box placement.  They will recommend a spot for the modem and run a line if needed.  They will have nothing to do with all your other stuff as once they have the modem tested and the boxes verified, you are on your own.  If you need the mesh, they will do that.

15.  They can put it in the existing spot or move it to where the overall wireless signal covers best.

16. Yes but Rogers will not support a customer provided range extender.

17. They are gone, sorry to say.

Hope this helps 🙂

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

Rogers Ignite questions issues

I'm thinking of switching to Ignite TV, but it's obvious there's a lot of considerations.  I've read through this thread but parts of it are a bit confusing to some one who is only moderately tech savvy.  

Primary motivation for switching is Rogers killing the old app for the PVR.  We watch most programs recorded, not "live".   I used the app all the time to manage recordings; obviously when away, but also it saved shlepping down to the basement just to set up recordings.   To be clear, I was using iPad mainly to control the PVR, not so much to watch content.  

Secondary reasons would be improved UI, lower monthly cost (with internet), better internet and wifi, etc.    

I have a bunch of questions.  I apologise for any repetition over previous posts but would like to pull the info into one place.  

1. Does it "work"?    E.g. Download speed / reliability.  Recording one program watching another etc. 
  2. Is TV quality variable or impacted by the neighbours' bandwidth in the same way internet speeds are, or is it constant & stable?
  3. Am I right that firmware updates are less obtrusive than currently with Nextbox which likes to pick the middle of an important show being watched or recorded (not sure but this might be better on Nextbox already compared to a year ago)
  4. How does the guide's UI compare to Nextbox 3, is it the same or is it better?  I get the impression it's better.  
  5. Is the Guide content any better?  (Too many program descriptions are trite, incomplete or plain wrong,   Actors, Director, ratings etc rarely shown so I'm always hopping over to IMDB). I'm assuming this is no change, being driven by Comcast. 
  6. I’m surprised the cost is fractionally cheaper than what I'm paying for Internet (100u) plus TV (currently Digital VIP plus TMN etc) plus PVR rental (confirmed by chat with CSR today).  What might I be overlooking? ( Other than installation).
  7. Installation cost...  any chance of getting a deal as a very long time customer with pretty full packages, TV internet Witeless Home Security
  8. Will the CSRs do a good job of matching my current channel line up into the most effective Ignite bundle?
  9. Want to be really sure that I can set up / change recordings of broadcast (network TV) from my iPhone/ iPad.  V interested in using mobile to CONTROL the recordings etc, not so much to WATCH on Mobile.  [Just seen a post that this is NOT available]
  10. I haven't done the maths but how does the 200 hr recording limit compare, roughly, to the capacity of Nextbox 3?   We do get into the mid 80s percent range from time to time.   Assume a mix of regular TV, HD movies etc. 
  11. Is there a way to download from the cloud (e.g. computer) for programs one wants to keep more than a year?  
  12. We use Harmony smart remote in front of the box. (It also handles the other media, DVD player, theatre receiver, CD player, audio amp, Wii, lights etc.  We never use the Rogers remote).   I see quite a bit of chatter here about some of the programming for it.  Not sure what the bottom line is. 
  13. Wifi ... historically Rogers routers have not been exactly top of the line.  What are they using here?   I currently have bridged the rogers modem to my own router and an additional range extender to help with signal in the upstairs office.  Will that become redundant / still work?   I've seen references to installing mesh but not sure I want to get into that expense.  I already have reasonably good router and range extender.  The network includes TV, Wii, printer, Apple Airport Express, Logitech Squeezebox and Lutron switches, aside from mobile devices -  in an old 2000 sq ft house on 3 floors incl basement.
  14. Who plans the detail of the setup with existence network / wireless devices?  Current set up is more complicated than it probably needs to be for historical reasons and having some non 5g devices.  This could be an opportunity to simplify .  Do I talk to a concierge first or does the installer do it on the fly?
  15. Currently the modem is on a different floor from the PVR and it's hard wired of course.  Would the same still apply?  
  16. Will this work with a range extender rather than mesh?   I don't really want to pay another $10 a month for ever for something I probably don't need.  
  17. How does one access programs currently saved on the Nextbox after the cut over?

I will try to answer your questions as best I can:

1) Yes it works, and it works well. So far reliability is 100% but your mileage may vary.

2) My TV quality is excellent (better than before). It has not varied, but of course I have no way of knowing what my neighbors are doing. One TV uses 7Mb/s of bandwidth, so I don't see this being a big deal. recordings happen "in the cloud" not in your house, so that doesn't impact bandwidth use.

3) You can choose the time for firmware updates, default is set to 2:00am-4:00am

4) The UI is vastly better than the Nextbox 3, it is responsive, channel changes are instant and the voice interface is fantastic (my wife likes it!). Big plus just to get this.

5) Don't know if the guide content is better, there is a lot of info, cast/crew details, descriptions, new/repeat etc.

6) For me the cost was a wash. Depends on what you switch from/to and what discounts you were getting.

7) No deals on installation cost, but I got Netflix free for a year ($167 Netflix account credit). So that covered it

😎 The CSR matched my current channel line up exactly, no confusion at all. After that, you can swap flex channels as you want. I just left it as they set it up.

9) No, cant do this at the moment (but it's not a technical limitation)

10) 200h recording limit is the same as the old Nextbox 3, if you did not have a DVR extender. Programs are only saved for 1 year (or until you delete/space is needed). It is much easier to manage space though.

11) There is a way to download a recorded program to a computer, but this is intended for viewing offline, not permanent storage. it expires after 30 days. So I would say no, you can't keep things for longer than 1 year.

12) My harmony works fine with the Xi6a. I'm using the Harmony Elite with hub, but the codes are in the harmony database. IR and RF work just fine with the Xi6a (the supplied remote is RF for the Xi6a, and IR for TV, Audio Amp etc).

13) WiFi - they are using an Arris (Intel Puma 7) or Technicolor (broadcom) modem/router. If the WiFi signal to the Xi6a is not good, they can install the optional mesh extension. It's supposed to be quite good, but I don't use it, I have the modem in bridged mode, with my own router and AP's (Unifi system). My Xi6a's are both hard wired to my network (but they work on WiFi also - I tested them).

14) Didn't seem to be much planning involved, the tech turned up, swapped the modem (I had to give him the access ip and password as he didn't know it), set up the Xi6a boxes (hardwired) and left. I reconfigured everything after he left. They don't support bridged mode, so if you use that, you are on your own. I don't think that you can expect rogers to replan your existing network for you.

15) No hard wiring at the TV required - the co-ax is not used. So modem is connected to the co-ax in the basement (hardwired as before), after that it's all networked (WiFi/Ethernet). As long as you have a reasonable WiFi signal where you want the Xi6a boxes, you are good. You can now put your TV's anywhere you have WiFi.

16) Probably, but hard to say, it's just WiFi, but there are a lot of variables with WiFi signals.

17) You can't - they are gone for good.

Hope this helps.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RichardF wrote:
The other thing I wonder about is what happens when all your neighbours are on Ignite. We are all sharing the same "last mile I believe" and does that have sufficient capacity?

Generally, unless an area that is oversold or on very old/flakey infrastructure, the whole 'last mile / shared internet' argument isnt really as valid anymore.
Yes the difference is that Bell copper ever (for regular fibe) is more direct to the local CO, then it only shared from there, vs coax is shared from the street,  to the closest node.. then on from there.

The slowdowns that used to always happen, was that the internet ran on a specific bandwidth of the cable.. which was much smaller at the time too (due to there being digital tv on there too, as well as analog taking up a HUGE chunk).  All the internet traffic would fight for the same area, causing slowdowns.
For quite a while now, all the modems are multi channel.  They have multiple laneways that they can take, if one is occupied by a neighbor, it can use one of the others.
I am currently on the 500mbps plan, and I can regularly get those speeds on speed tests, even during peak times when others would be on as well.

So that shouldnt be an issue at all.  
Again, unless there are other issues in the area.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the detailed replies.

Apologies for real basic question, but I just want to get straight in my head the basic architecture... could someone please confirm:

- coax into the house to the new router

- ethernet or wifi from the router to the Xi6A (there is ethernet cable from my current router location to the PVR which is in cabinet under the TV) - so the Xi6A could just go where the current Nextbox is?

- wire from the Xi6A to the TV  (TV is Sharp Aquos which however is sort of internet connected but I dont really use that

- ethernet from the new router to my router (if I continue my current set up)

They would fully support any TV issues on this set up.  But wireless network is my problem, as currently.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

Netflix credit

Does that apply to existing Netflix customers or just new Netflix customers?

([n my pluses and minuses list, the integration with Netflix does sound like a cool feature - currently we have to go to the "watch DVD" activity (as that's the device that connects to Netflix) although its handled more or less seamlessly by the Harmony remote (dont ask - a small glitch due to the DVD being powered from the audio amp)].

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RichardF

1. Does it "work"?    E.g. Download speed / reliability.  Recording one program watching another etc.
    As long as your internet is good and working, it should be fine.  Really the only thing that could effect possibly would be that you have too much else going on (tons of downloading, multiple TVs watching, etc at the time that you choke the connection.  I can game, be doing other things online, and watch TV all at the same time no issues (I am on the 500 plan tho). 
    Recording a program doesnt come into play, as there is nothing local doing the recording.  The recording is purely stored on Rogers end, so doesnt effect the local bandwidth at all.
  2. Is TV quality variable or impacted by the neighbours' bandwidth in the same way internet speeds are, or is it constant & stable?
    As long as your internet is stable, the TV should be as well.
    It appears to use a similar technology to netflix, where the quality will drop if there is an impacted speed its able to get.  Sometimes you will see briefly for the first split second when you tune to a channel it at lower quality, but then goes right into HD.
    With the newer modems, as long as there are not other issues with internet in the area (infrastructure, etc), your internet should not be impacted by the neighbors.
  3. Am I right that firmware updates are less obtrusive than currently with Nextbox which likes to pick the middle of an important show being watched or recorded (not sure but this might be better on Nextbox already compared to a year ago)
    I havent checked in the last while if its changed (and am at work so cant check at home) but at least before, you used to be able to CHOOSE when it does the updates, a choice of a few different windows, so could pick a time of day that doesnt impact you.
  4. How does the guide's UI compare to Nextbox 3, is it the same or is it better?  I get the impression it's better.  
    Slight differences in font, layout, etc.  Some things in different locations ( so takes a bit of getting used to) But I would say 90% better.  Only thing I dont like myself, is that the full guide when watching something does full cover the program (no little preview/watch window anymore)
    100% faster though.
  5. Is the Guide content any better?  (Too many program descriptions are trite, incomplete or plain wrong,   Actors, Director, ratings etc rarely shown so I'm always hopping over to IMDB). I'm assuming this is no change, being driven by Comcast. 
    Not 100% sure myself.. i dont pay that much attention to that part of it. 
    Only thing that I am aware of, is in many cases (especially with already aired stuff), it will show the season/episode number
  6. I’m surprised the cost is fractionally cheaper than what I'm paying for Internet (100u) plus TV (currently Digital VIP plus TMN etc) plus PVR rental (confirmed by chat with CSR today).  What might I be overlooking? ( Other than installation).
    As long as the TV package that your looking at has the same channel sets..  it might be.
    You only have the one tv box? as additional boxes will cost extra $10 per each.
  7. Installation cost...  any chance of getting a deal as a very long time customer with pretty full packages, TV internet Witeless Home Security.
    Not likely.. I have had just about every rogers service since day one available (newest net packages, the home monitoring, etc), and wasnt able to get the install waived.  Biggest part is.. it that its more than just a basic tech visit when they come, could be there up to 2 hours.. so a lot is to pay for that.
    They disconnect a LOT which is no longer needed (remove all feeds to other rooms which are not needed, why split/drop the signal), ensure that the wireless is strong enough to where needed.  Set up the boxes to connect properly, etc.
  8. Will the CSRs do a good job of matching my current channel line up into the most effective Ignite bundle?
    Eh.. Maybe?  When I was offered it, they said you would need THIS to match what I have. 
    I didnt take them at their word, and checked for myself.  I didnt do a 1:1 channel check.  But I did go through all the ones i know we regularly watched/recorded, and ensured that they were in that package.  Then compared to the one down and checked if they were there too (which a bunch were not)
  9. Want to be really sure that I can set up / change recordings of broadcast (network TV) from my iPhone/ iPad.  V interested in using mobile to CONTROL the recordings etc, not so much to WATCH on Mobile.  [Just seen a post that this is NOT available]
    Unfortunately, this feature is not available AT ALL on any of the rogers platforms right now.. neither the old or the new (due to legal stuff as far as I am aware).  You can delete from the app though...
  10. I haven't done the maths but how does the 200 hr recording limit compare, roughly, to the capacity of Nextbox 3?   We do get into the mid 80s percent range from time to time.   Assume a mix of regular TV, HD movies etc. 
    In general if i remember correctly, that the NB3 was rated at 200hr of HD recordings on its drive, so it should be pretty much the same.   Only difference is, the 200hr is regardless of type.. so if you record some SD, it will still take up X hours.  Vs the NB3 it took up less in SD.
  11. Is there a way to download from the cloud (e.g. computer) for programs one wants to keep more than a year?  
    No.  Like the other PVRs, there was no other way to access them, outside of playing them and recording them through a device.
    Mobile devices, there is an option to DOWNLOAD to the device for watching offline.  But this is locked to the app and not playable outside of it as far as I am aware (like netflix downloads are).  But not sure on a time limit, etc.
  12. We use Harmony smart remote in front of the box. (It also handles the other media, DVD player, theatre receiver, CD player, audio amp, Wii, lights etc.  We never use the Rogers remote).   I see quite a bit of chatter here about some of the programming for it.  Not sure what the bottom line is. 
    Yes, the harmony remotes WILL work with them.  The box does have IR.
    You just need to program it to the older X1 comcast remote.
    The only big loss as far as I am aware,(other than button accessibility, which will vary based on which harmony you have), is the loss of the voice part.
    For many, this may not be a big deal.
    Myself, i have never used it for the FF, etc type functions.
    But searching for programs, using to search/access netflix, etc... its a GODSEND vs having to type in searches.
  13. Wifi ... historically Rogers routers have not been exactly top of the line.  What are they using here?   I currently have bridged the rogers modem to my own router and an additional range extender to help with signal in the upstairs office.  Will that become redundant / still work?   I've seen references to installing mesh but not sure I want to get into that expense.  I already have reasonably good router and range extender.  The network includes TV, Wii, printer, Apple Airport Express, Logitech Squeezebox and Lutron switches, aside from mobile devices -  in an old 2000 sq ft house on 3 floors incl basement.
    The answer is Yes.. and No and inbetween.
    Can you use your own stuff? yes.  There are ones that have used their own here.  There is/can be some major playing around with stuff sometimes to get it all up and working.  Some issue/changes that needed to be made to get Netflix, etc working.
    The modem itself, speed/range wise it not much better than any of the others.
    Their eero mesh though does seem to work very well with my experience.  I have heard mixed thing, but they SHOULD be free with the TV installation?
  14. Who plans the detail of the setup with existence network / wireless devices?  Current set up is more complicated than it probably needs to be for historical reasons and having some non 5g devices.  This could be an opportunity to simplify .  Do I talk to a concierge first or does the installer do it on the fly?
    Pretty much the installer will come in, and ask what you want your wifi called, and the password... and leave it at that.  By default they name both the 2.4 and the 5 the same name (though sure  you could ask for separate).
    Beyond that.. its your responsibility of reconnecting ALL your devices back to the new one.  
    (This took me forever! as I have like 30+ wireless devices to connect :P)
  15. Currently the modem is on a different floor from the PVR and it's hard wired of course.  Would the same still apply?  
    Its up to you.  As all the TV boxes by default are wireless, they dont need to have a wire there.
    If you dont need great wireless in the basement, you could then choose to set the modem in the living room where that cable run was if you wanted to?
  16. Will this work with a range extender rather than mesh?   I don't really want to pay another $10 a month for ever for something I probably don't need.  
    As per my post above.. I think you shouldnt have to pay? but I could be wrong.  I was able to get my installed before the TRUE launch, and I am not paying for mine.  Some that I have talked to have said, that if its needed for the TV service, that it should be included free.  Only if you want to improve your wifi on its own, would it be more? (say if you only had internet).  Something you would want to confirm with a concierge.
    A range extender SHOULD work though.
    Generally at least in my experience so far with having used extenders.. and now having the MESH.. is that a mesh tends to work BETTER.
    With an extender, it doesnt always have great handoff.. so you could be still within LOW range of wireless A, but its just enough, it doesnt want to hand it off to B which is a better signal, etc.  
    The Mesh tends to handle this better.  IE: when i go from downstairs to upstairs, if I watch my wireless.. it will drop a bar for a second or two, the does jump up to full bars as its handed off to the one upstairs.
  17. How does one access programs currently saved on the Nextbox after the cut over?
    Eh.. thats part of the issue.  You DON'T. 😞
    There are some semi workarounds.. but they are iffy.
    If you own your nextbox (that its not being taken back by them).. you can disconect it from the coax.  Leave the box powered on.  You will still be able to playback any recordings.  But if for any reason the power blips and its rebooted?  It wont boot back up as it cant talk to the rogers network.
    All in all best to try and binge watch as much as you can before making the switch.
    (I lucked out that we switched during the off season when there wasnt much new, so didnt have really anything saved).

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From what I have read you can apply it to an existing netflix account.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

Thanks for the detailed replies.

Apologies for real basic question, but I just want to get straight in my head the basic architecture... could someone please confirm:

- coax into the house to the new router

- ethernet or wifi from the router to the Xi6A (there is ethernet cable from my current router location to the PVR which is in cabinet under the TV) - so the Xi6A could just go where the current Nextbox is?

- wire from the Xi6A to the TV  (TV is Sharp Aquos which however is sort of internet connected but I dont really use that

- ethernet from the new router to my router (if I continue my current set up)

They would fully support any TV issues on this set up.  But wireless network is my problem, as currently.

Yes, you have it correct. The cable from the Xi6a to the TV is just the regular HDMI cable.

If you don't use the WiFi on the router, then you would connect the ethernet from the modem to your router, Xi6a box ethernet to your router. The wrinkle here is that then you would set the modem to bridged mode - and Rogers doesn't support that. You could leave the modem in gateway mode (and disable the WiFi on it), but then you would have a double NAT situation (ie the Rogers modem is performing NAT, and your Router is also performing NAT). Double NAT usually doesn't cause a problem, but if you have uPnP or port forwarding set up it may be a problem.

I have my modem in bridged mode, and just don't care if Rogers supports it or not. If you have TV issues, they will want you to set it back to gateway mode. I did have to set up my Xi6a boxes on my WiFi, then switch to hard-wired mode, otherwise they didn't work (they switch to hard wired mode automatically when you plug the ethernet cable in).

If the Xi6a's were hard wired to the Rogers Modem in gateway mode (via a spare switch), then they just worked. the Rogers Modem has two ethernet ports.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

Netflix credit

Does that apply to existing Netflix customers or just new Netflix customers?

([n my pluses and minuses list, the integration with Netflix does sound like a cool feature - currently we have to go to the "watch DVD" activity (as that's the device that connects to Netflix) although its handled more or less seamlessly by the Harmony remote (dont ask - a small glitch due to the DVD being powered from the audio amp)].

The credit got applied to my existing Netflix account.

Also, Netflix integration is seamless. When you search (via text or voice) it searches everywhere including Netflix and on-demand. Very useful.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

I can certainly see a lot of small to medium pluses with Ignite.  (And a big one if you have 4K TV).

Against that is the hassle of switching.

Logically the lack of mobile control of recordings is neutral.

The other factor is this is clearly the path Rogers is going down so the conversion bullet will likely have to be bitten at some point.  My guess will be that the current set up (Nextbox etc) will start being deprecated at some point.