Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
I'm Here A Lot
Posts: 7

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

To my surprise, I couldn't set up a recording from the Ignite app while I was at work.

 

This seems like a glaring omission; assuming this is in the works, when can we expect to have this feature available?

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 156

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Wow that might be deal breaker. I had understood that this was the solution to the removal of the At Home app.
If you are correct, it is indeed a GLARING omission, even for an early release.
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 69

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions


@DouglasJM wrote:

What are peoples experience with the quality of the TV signal?

 

I had Ignite TV installed at our new home on Sunday, so I am still new to it and not totally sure what to be expecting.  So far, its seems extremely obvious that your watching streamed TV.  Any shows with lots of movement or camera panning (movies and sports especially) the picture quality drops right off.  almost like a motion blur effect.  the pixilation at these times is really obvious.

 

The internet portion, as I understand it, is running the same speeds as the ignite 150 I had at the old place.  Was able to pull 22.5meg/sec there, cant pull 10 here.  I'm wondering if the overall reduced speeds is what may be causing the poor picture quality on the TV.

 

Overall, I love the features and menus.  Way smoother, and a lot more options to tinker with, just need to get the picture quality issues resolved.


I haven't noticed any problem with picture quality - however you seem to be talking about 4k TV exclusively. 22.5Mb/s is what 4k TV pulls, 7 MB/s is normal for regular HD.

 

Are you talking about 4k? or regular HD? and if its 4k is this Netflix or Rogers 4k channels?

 

The picture quality for regular HD on my set up seems to be superior to what I was getting previously with the old system.

 

What do you have the output of the Xi6 box set to? mine were set to 720p initially.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 69

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions


@rinse82 wrote:

To my surprise, I couldn't set up a recording from the Ignite app while I was at work.

 

This seems like a glaring omission; assuming this is in the works, when can we expect to have this feature available?


This is due to a legal fight currently going on with Comcast/TiVo in the US, it's noting to do with Rogers as such (other than they chose the Comcast X1 platform). All Comcast X1 TV providers have been required to remove this feature until the lawsuit with TiVo is settled.

 

See Comcast/TiVo battle

 

So while this feature is currently missing, the rest of the platform is so good, it's a small price to pay, and it could come back if Comcast continues to win the lawsuits. It was removed from the old platform for the same reason.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 156

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

I was aware that there was a legal issue with the old app. I had assumed that was a patent / licence issue relatIng to some aspect of the technology used to implement the feature. And that surely they would use alternative technology to implement the feature. This sounds more like some sort of copyright attempt by TiVo to block the very concept. That sounds quite oppressive.


I must say I'm quite surprised there isn't more of an uprising over this. When discussing the old app with Rogers, they claimed it wasn't used much at all and that was part of their business decision. I found it very surprising given that people obviously are away a lot, and the conveneonence when at home of not having to go to the basement whatever and turn o on the TV to make a recording.

As I say for me it may be a deal breaker. I'm not clear that the other pluses are that great for the hassle of switchIng. I dont have 4K TV. I guess I should put up my post with all my questions see what the feedback is then decide.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 69

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions


@RichardF wrote:

I was aware that there was a legal issue with the old app. I had assumed that was a patent / licence issue relatIng to some aspect of the technology used to implement the feature. And that surely they would use alternative technology to implement the feature. This sounds more like some sort of copyright attempt by TiVo to block the very concept. That sounds quite oppressive.


I must say I'm quite surprised there isn't more of an uprising over this. When discussing the old app with Rogers, they claimed it wasn't used much at all and that was part of their business decision. I found it very surprising given that people obviously are away a lot, and the conveneonence when at home of not having to go to the basement whatever and turn o on the TV to make a recording.

As I say for me it may be a deal breaker. I'm not clear that the other pluses are that great for the hassle of switchIng. I dont have 4K TV. I guess I should put up my post with all my questions see what the feedback is then decide.


The problem seems to be that Rovi/TiVo has become an IP holding company that only makes revenue from licensing their patents. These patents are very wide ranging, and cover basic functions of PVR's (interactive program guides, smart search, recording a different channel from the one you are viewing etc.). This is not a specific embodiment, but any implementation that includes these features.

The Cable/TV providers have two choices, either pay the licensing fees (ie we pay the licensing fees), or challenge the validity of the patents.

Comcast decided after many years of paying these fees, that enough was enough, they had developed their own implementations of these features, and most of it is obvious to anyone "skilled in the arts" (one of the basic ways of invalidating a patent). TiVo has a patent on "recording a different channel from the one you are viewing"? crazy - we were all doing this on VCR's in the 1980's.

If Comcast were using TiVo's code or technology, that would be one thing, but developing their own code/platform, but still be required to pay licensing fees to TiVo? unreasonable in anyone's POV. 

TiVo doesn't care, their revenue model is simply on license fees, so they will defend these ridiculous patents to the death (of TiVo), but Comcast has so far won all (43) but 1 of their patent challenges, and that may fall soon.

So the remote scheduling feature was removed as TiVo has a patent on "remotely scheduling a recording via an app or web interface", and until that patent is invalidated (or expires), you won't get it back. Providers who pay TiVo the licensing fee will still be able to provide the feature though.

 

Here is what TiVo claims (they claim they invented the DVR) almost all of these "inventions" is what they have patented: https://business.tivo.com/innovation-ip/heritage-of-innovation

 

Notice it stops in 2016 when they were acquired by Rovi, and now they are mostly pursuing licensing fees for their "inventions".

 

Here is the whole deal if you are interested; https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/loved-by-many-cloud-based-remote-dvr-60317/

 

I think the new system from Rogers is still far superior to the old system. there are a couple of features missing, but overall I am very pleased with the new platform, to me it is worth the money.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile
Posts: 2

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions


@Nick_W wrote:

@DouglasJM wrote:

What are peoples experience with the quality of the TV signal?

 

I had Ignite TV installed at our new home on Sunday, so I am still new to it and not totally sure what to be expecting.  So far, its seems extremely obvious that your watching streamed TV.  Any shows with lots of movement or camera panning (movies and sports especially) the picture quality drops right off.  almost like a motion blur effect.  the pixilation at these times is really obvious.

 

The internet portion, as I understand it, is running the same speeds as the ignite 150 I had at the old place.  Was able to pull 22.5meg/sec there, cant pull 10 here.  I'm wondering if the overall reduced speeds is what may be causing the poor picture quality on the TV.

 

Overall, I love the features and menus.  Way smoother, and a lot more options to tinker with, just need to get the picture quality issues resolved.


I haven't noticed any problem with picture quality - however you seem to be talking about 4k TV exclusively. 22.5Mb/s is what 4k TV pulls, 7 MB/s is normal for regular HD.

 

Are you talking about 4k? or regular HD? and if its 4k is this Netflix or Rogers 4k channels?

 

The picture quality for regular HD on my set up seems to be superior to what I was getting previously with the old system.

 

What do you have the output of the Xi6 box set to? mine were set to 720p initially.


The TV is a 4K TV, however our package is only for HD content, not 4K content.  The Xi6 box was set to 4K UHD, but I have now moved it down to just 1080p which hasn't really fixed the issue.  Still wondering if I am getting a slow/poor quality signal into the home, which is hindering the quality.  still experimenting.  will see how it looks on a 32 or 42 inch TV vs. the 65.  see if its still as noticeable.

 

the 22.5 meg/sec is what I used to be able to pull downloading on the home internet, now less than 10 meg/sec.  My understanding is that all the TV's and internet are pulled through the same150mbps connection (I could very well be wrong about this tho)

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 156

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

The other thing I wonder about is what happens when all your neighbours are on Ignite. We are all sharing the same "last mile I believe" and does that have sufficient capacity?
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 69

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions


@DouglasJM wrote:

@Nick_W wrote:

@DouglasJM wrote:

What are peoples experience with the quality of the TV signal?

 

I had Ignite TV installed at our new home on Sunday, so I am still new to it and not totally sure what to be expecting.  So far, its seems extremely obvious that your watching streamed TV.  Any shows with lots of movement or camera panning (movies and sports especially) the picture quality drops right off.  almost like a motion blur effect.  the pixilation at these times is really obvious.

 

The internet portion, as I understand it, is running the same speeds as the ignite 150 I had at the old place.  Was able to pull 22.5meg/sec there, cant pull 10 here.  I'm wondering if the overall reduced speeds is what may be causing the poor picture quality on the TV.

 

Overall, I love the features and menus.  Way smoother, and a lot more options to tinker with, just need to get the picture quality issues resolved.


I haven't noticed any problem with picture quality - however you seem to be talking about 4k TV exclusively. 22.5Mb/s is what 4k TV pulls, 7 MB/s is normal for regular HD.

 

Are you talking about 4k? or regular HD? and if its 4k is this Netflix or Rogers 4k channels?

 

The picture quality for regular HD on my set up seems to be superior to what I was getting previously with the old system.

 

What do you have the output of the Xi6 box set to? mine were set to 720p initially.


The TV is a 4K TV, however our package is only for HD content, not 4K content.  The Xi6 box was set to 4K UHD, but I have now moved it down to just 1080p which hasn't really fixed the issue.  Still wondering if I am getting a slow/poor quality signal into the home, which is hindering the quality.  still experimenting.  will see how it looks on a 32 or 42 inch TV vs. the 65.  see if its still as noticeable.

 

the 22.5 meg/sec is what I used to be able to pull downloading on the home internet, now less than 10 meg/sec.  My understanding is that all the TV's and internet are pulled through the same150mbps connection (I could very well be wrong about this tho)


So you have the 150u internet option, and are watching HD TV. You are correct, everything (TV, internet) is going down this one pipe - that’s why you need 150mb/s down minimum.

 

you should be able to pull at least 150 Mb/s, not 10. An HD channel takes at least 7Mb/s, so if you can only get 10, you are maxing out the download bandwidth.

 

How exactly are you measuring your download speed? WiFi speed measurements are not really valid (but 10 is waaay too slow no mater what). I have the Gigabit package, and get 850-900 wired, 400-500 WiFi (testing on my iPad/laptop).

WiFi speedtest

 

The bottom line is that if you are really only getting 10Mb/s download, something is seriously wrong - it’s hard to believe that Rogers would leave it this way (but not impossible). Maybe you could post your Speedtest results?

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 156

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Rogers Ignite questions issues

I'm thinking of switching to Ignite TV, but it's obvious there's a lot of considerations.  I've read through this thread but parts of it are a bit confusing to some one who is only moderately tech savvy.  

Primary motivation for switching is Rogers killing the old app for the PVR.  We watch most programs recorded, not "live".   I used the app all the time to manage recordings; obviously when away, but also it saved shlepping down to the basement just to set up recordings.   To be clear, I was using iPad mainly to control the PVR, not so much to watch content.  

Secondary reasons would be improved UI, lower monthly cost (with internet), better internet and wifi, etc.    

I have a bunch of questions.  I apologise for any repetition over previous posts but would like to pull the info into one place.  

  1. Does it "work"?    E.g. Download speed / reliability.  Recording one program watching another etc. 
  2. Is TV quality variable or impacted by the neighbours' bandwidth in the same way internet speeds are, or is it constant & stable?
  3. Am I right that firmware updates are less obtrusive than currently with Nextbox which likes to pick the middle of an important show being watched or recorded (not sure but this might be better on Nextbox already compared to a year ago)
  4. How does the guide's UI compare to Nextbox 3, is it the same or is it better?  I get the impression it's better.  
  5. Is the Guide content any better?  (Too many program descriptions are trite, incomplete or plain wrong,   Actors, Director, ratings etc rarely shown so I'm always hopping over to IMDB). I'm assuming this is no change, being driven by Comcast. 
  6. I’m surprised the cost is fractionally cheaper than what I'm paying for Internet (100u) plus TV (currently Digital VIP plus TMN etc) plus PVR rental (confirmed by chat with CSR today).  What might I be overlooking? ( Other than installation).
  7. Installation cost...  any chance of getting a deal as a very long time customer with pretty full packages, TV internet Witeless Home Security
  8. Will the CSRs do a good job of matching my current channel line up into the most effective Ignite bundle?
  9. Want to be really sure that I can set up / change recordings of broadcast (network TV) from my iPhone/ iPad.  V interested in using mobile to CONTROL the recordings etc, not so much to WATCH on Mobile.  [Just seen a post that this is NOT available]
  10. I haven't done the maths but how does the 200 hr recording limit compare, roughly, to the capacity of Nextbox 3?   We do get into the mid 80s percent range from time to time.   Assume a mix of regular TV, HD movies etc. 
  11. Is there a way to download from the cloud (e.g. computer) for programs one wants to keep more than a year?  
  12. We use Harmony smart remote in front of the box. (It also handles the other media, DVD player, theatre receiver, CD player, audio amp, Wii, lights etc.  We never use the Rogers remote).   I see quite a bit of chatter here about some of the programming for it.  Not sure what the bottom line is. 
  13. Wifi ... historically Rogers routers have not been exactly top of the line.  What are they using here?   I currently have bridged the rogers modem to my own router and an additional range extender to help with signal in the upstairs office.  Will that become redundant / still work?   I've seen references to installing mesh but not sure I want to get into that expense.  I already have reasonably good router and range extender.  The network includes TV, Wii, printer, Apple Airport Express, Logitech Squeezebox and Lutron switches, aside from mobile devices -  in an old 2000 sq ft house on 3 floors incl basement.
  14. Who plans the detail of the setup with existence network / wireless devices?  Current set up is more complicated than it probably needs to be for historical reasons and having some non 5g devices.  This could be an opportunity to simplify .  Do I talk to a concierge first or does the installer do it on the fly?
  15. Currently the modem is on a different floor from the PVR and it's hard wired of course.  Would the same still apply?  
  16. Will this work with a range extender rather than mesh?   I don't really want to pay another $10 a month for ever for something I probably don't need.  
  17. How does one access programs currently saved on the Nextbox after the cut over?