Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

So, I made the move to remove the bridge mode and use the XB6 as my gateway appliance, and I'm wondering of it's hardware capabilities.

Originally, I was bridged with a FortiGate 60D and WRT1900AC (in bridge mode) for the wireless. It works great except the 60D was not designed for processing IPv6 traffic (it's that old). So instead of using the NPU (network processing unit) for the traffic, it uses the CPU. As such, IPv6 will cap out around 150mbps. Aside from that, the setup was golden.

The problem is that I have a lot of devices on my network. Typically 13 active at any given time, but I have 25-30 devices that can be connected. And since moving over to using XB6 as the gateway, I get periods of massive packet loss. I mean, it could be bad timing, but since making the change over Wednesday night, it seems to have been non-stop. I can pull up my SamKnows logs showing this kind of loss as well.

If it continues, I might go back to my FortiGate setup. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gisuck are you able to attribute those packet loss periods to a specific time of day, or possibly to anything that you might be doing on your local LAN? 

Unfortunately, no. It'll give me spotty packetloss for about 2-3 mins in a 15 min span and then goes away. TV's will freeze on a picture, or repeat 5-10 seconds of video, or go black is when you first notice. It'll fix itself and then come back, then fix it self, come back until eventually it goes away.

While I don't see packetloss on IPv6 traffic on traces to Google, it definitely shows up on IPv4 traffic starting at my cable modem's gateway IP address, not the cable modem's IP address. (The 2nd hop).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, for now, what you can do is run a continuous ping to the second hop which will be the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  At this point I'm more interested in the packet loss.  So, just to make sure I'm clear on the instructions, run a trace to anywhere, tracert -4 www.google.com   The first IP address will be the modem, the second IP address will be the CMTS, assuming of course that the modem is running in Gateway mode.  Ping that second IP address and let it run for 24 hours.  At the end of 24 hours, stop the test and have a look at the loss statistics.  You shouldn't have any more than 0.1% packet loss.  Thats a personal opinion based on my test results.  If that loss is much higher, then you most likely have some problem with your external cabling or connectors. 

You can also run this in IPV6, just use:   tracert -6 www.google.com   to run the trace using IPV6

If you run this with Pingplotter, using the CMTS as a target IP address, the plot will be time stamped which might help in the troubleshooting.  You don't have to buy Pingplotter as it will run for 14 days in Pro mode and then kick down into a limited freebie mode if you don't buy a pro or standard licence.  

I can already tell you it's pretty bad. https://imgur.com/a/6kcoHq8

I've Been Here Awhile

I had Rogers Ignite installed . I have had no problem with the internet, television but home phone has problems . Where to begin, well when the phone rings it resets the phones time 15 minutes ahead. I called Rogers about this and I am not making this up, I was told that my neighbour comes into my apartment and does this for a joke . I must add that since then the technical department has admitted that quite a few people have complained about this.

Second issue, some incoming calls are not coming through. A technician was dispatched to my residence and I was told that the issue lies with my telephone. I was talked into replacing both my telephones at a cost of over $300. The problem still persisted and I replaced two perfectly good telephones for nothing. I was told that I will be compensated for my loss and that a senior technician will now be dispatched to look into this. I will wait and see what happens next week after the third visit to my apartment looking into this matter.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Your $150 "consierge" fee at work!
I Plan to Stick Around

Any know if that is for DRM reasons or some quirk of their architecture?
I Plan to Stick Around

In my case a preliminary quick look suggests Ignite would be $10-$20 a month cheaper.
I Plan to Stick Around

Outstanding. I have been looking for a solution to the "out of sync" problem for ages. Will try this ASAP.