Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeromeM
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@Nick_W

That is certainly one of my pet peeves with this setup, no power off. I don't really get the point of it being on all the time, I don't see a benefit, I turned on the ultra power save mode.

I added an action in Harmony for it to hit the guide button before turning off the system so if it's using the Netflix app it will go back to the TV first then the TV/Amp turns off so essentially pauses the Netflix show.
Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@JeromeM wrote:
@Nick_W

That is certainly one of my pet peeves with this setup, no power off. I don't really get the point of it being on all the time, I don't see a benefit, I turned on the ultra power save mode.

I added an action in Harmony for it to hit the guide button before turning off the system so if it's using the Netflix app it will go back to the TV first then the TV/Amp turns off so essentially pauses the Netflix show.

I did the same thing, except I added "exit", "exit" so that any playbacks get exited/paused.

I also turned on "Maximum Power Save" in the labs menu, but no idea what this actually does. It's been about 2 hours since I "turned off" the TV, and the rogers Ignite web site ("manage devices" ) shows it as still streaming.

So power saving is important, but not to the point that you can actually put the system on standby yourself (without a lot of menu surfing).

It's like saying "in order to save energy, please turn off all lights in unused rooms". "Notice all light switches have been disconnected due to some people not understanding how they work".

Seems bizarre!

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

Update 2 days in.

Everything is working!

Got the Slingbox 500 working yesterday. You select the cable box as Xfinity X1, and install one of these HDMI Splitter in between the Xi6 box and the HDMI input on the Slingbox, Slingbox HDMI output to the TV input. The HDMI splitter is just there to strip the HDCP encryption from the HDMI signal. Works great (so far - tries lots of channels last night including HBO, TMN etc all worked, but need a bit more time to claim total success).

Tried the web interface TV viewer, works nicely, even works on our old Surface 2 RT. It’s a little slow on the old Surface, so I’ll use the Slingbox app instead - but it works.

Found out the “Maximum Power Save” option puts the box into an even deeper power off mode than standby, so it takes about 10 seconds to “power on”, instead of the instant wake up from power save.

My last remaining challenge is to figure out how to set up a “Watch Netflix” activity on the Harmony remote. On the surface, it would seem to be impossible, but I may yet find a workaround.

The issue is that the only way to access Netflix/YouTube from the remote is using the “Apps” menu item. There is no way to access this menu using a consistent key sequence. If you press the “Menu”  (Rogers) button, it comes up with the last item you used selected, and programmatically there is no way to know what this is, so you can’t select the “apps” menu item.

If I find a set of key inputs to bring up Netflix, Ill post it here, otherwise, no “Watch Netflix” activity for harmony users Smiley Frustrated

Otherwise I am very impressed with this new system from Rogers. Everything works really well, much better than the nextbox 3/Navigatr combo. Now we just need more DVR storage, fiber to the home, and some discounts... (the demands from customers never ends Smiley Happy)

nawazudinshah
I've Been Around

How has your experience with Ignite TV been?

I have been eyeing it and just wondering what people who have it think of it?

Currently have a Nextbox 3.0 hooked to my main TV, 150u Internet, and Homephone. To me it the only advantage in switching over is I can hook up my secondary TV and watch it in the background in my computer room.

Any thoughts?

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

Update 2 days in.

My last remaining challenge is to figure out how to set up a “Watch Netflix” activity on the Harmony remote. On the surface, it would seem to be impossible, but I may yet find a workaround.

The issue is that the only way to access Netflix/YouTube from the remote is using the “Apps” menu item. There is no way to access this menu using a consistent key sequence. If you press the “Menu”  (Rogers) button, it comes up with the last item you used selected, and programmatically there is no way to know what this is, so you can’t select the “apps” menu item.

If I find a set of key inputs to bring up Netflix, Ill post it here, otherwise, no “Watch Netflix” activity for harmony users Smiley Frustrated

I know that people get attached to their Harmony remotes - I love mine - but there's a far simpler and quicker way  ... simply use voice control on the provided remote and say "Netflix". Works extremely well.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

@Nick_W wrote:

Update 2 days in.

I know that people get attached to their Harmony remotes - I love mine - but there's a far simpler and quicker way  ... simply use voice control on the provided remote and say "Netflix". Works extremely well.

I understand that, but OMG you have to PRESS A BUTTON! Obviously that's way too much work. If I could find a way to program this in harmony (which so far I can't) I could get Alexa to turn Netflix on, the same way she can turn the TV on/off, change channel etc with no button press required.

Of course, then you have to find the remote to select what you want to watch from Netflix, and you could just say the name of the netflix show you want to watch ("The Crown") and it just brings it straight up - so maybe I'ts not that useful after all...

Maybe I just need a paradigm shift, not a Netflix button.

Rogers! why are you making difficult things so easy! you're not supposed to do that Smiley Surprised

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

I understand that, but OMG you have to PRESS A BUTTON! Obviously that's way too much work. If I could find a way to program this in harmony (which so far I can't) I could get Alexa to turn Netflix on, the same way she can turn the TV on/off, change channel etc with no button press required.

Of course, then you have to find the remote to select what you want to watch from Netflix, and you could just say the name of the netflix show you want to watch ("The Crown") and it just brings it straight up - so maybe I'ts not that useful after all...

Maybe I just need a paradigm shift, not a Netflix button.

Rogers! why are you making difficult things so easy! you're not supposed to do that Smiley Surprised

Actually, you CAN use the Rogers remote to select movies, etc. on Netflix. When using voice control, it searches all sources  available to Ignite TV  ... regular programming, On Demand, Netflix, YouTube ... if you want to watch The Crown say “The Crown” and up it pops up on Netflix. If the programme/movie is available on regular tv it will bring that up instead.

As for using/programming Harmony remotes, I’m Just wondering which Harmony remote you are using? I’m using the Harmony Companion that includes the Harmony Hub which can be programmed through the Harmony remote app. I’ve programmed the app to open Netflix and it works quite welll and you can then programme the remote to use a button to watch Netflix.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

Actually, you CAN use the Rogers remote to select movies, etc. on Netflix. When using voice control, it searches all sources  available to Ignite TV  ... regular programming, On Demand, Netflix, YouTube ... if you want to watch The Crown say “The Crown” and up it pops up on Netflix. If the programme/movie is available on regular tv it will bring that up instead.

That’s what I meant -paradigm shift...

@StatsMan wrote: 

As for using/programming Harmony remotes, I’m Just wondering which Harmony remote you are using? I’m using the Harmony Companion that includes the Harmony Hub which can be programmed through the Harmony remote app. I’ve programmed the app to open Netflix and it works quite welll and you can then programme the remote to use a button to watch Netflix.

Ok, give, how are you programming that? I have a Harmony Elite with the hub, how are you programming the remote to have a button to bring up Netflix?

I would include it for completeness, even though it is, as you point out effectively useless.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

That’s actually what I meant - paradigm shift...

@StatsMan wrote:

I have a harmony elite with the hub. OK, give, how are you programming the remote to bring up a Netflix with one button?

bluerobin
I've Been Around

Why can I not watch anything on my android box with my newly installed Roger  Ignite Wireless when  I could previously