Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
singhmonal
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Ignite TV Boxes Constantly Freezing in Screensaver Mode

So I've been an Ignite TV subscriber since the end of June. For weeks now, my Ignite TV Boxes (all three of them) will randomly freeze in the screensaver mode. The only way to get them to respond is to unplug the power cord and reboot them.

I can't discern any pattern for the behaviour (like, sometimes it will happen and in the exact same scenario the next day, it will be fine.) It happens to all three boxes regardless of how much use the TV itself gets.

I contacted Rogers and changed the screensaver settings to the max 5 hours, but that's really a bandaid.

The only other thing of note is that I run my Rogers modem in bridge mode and run a google wifi mesh network as my network. I can't see how this would impact it, but maybe?

Anyone else have this experience? Help!

Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

" I assume the Ignite app/web viewer needs you to change channel from the device itself."

????. The Ignite TV app is a stand alone app that does not connect to the physical X6i in any way. You can not even do any scheduling from it. You can watch channels, your recorded shows or download a recorded show to your phone/tablet. Once show is downloaded to your tablet it is locked out and can only be watched on the phone/tablet you have downloaded it to. You can then release the recorded show back to your cloud DVR to be watched on your X6i or download to another device.

There is no USB ports on the X6i,. The other port is covered with a label. looks like  a HDMI  and marked INPUT.  Power, HDMI and RJ45 are the only connections.

I have harmony One and it works albeit not as good as the remote that comes with the  X6i. The X6i remote is RF whereas Harmony is IR. Besides that once you start using the voice commands/searching nothing compares, it is so easy. I even have my wife using the new remote, initially she preferred the Harmony. Now the Harmony sits in it cradle doing nothing. I have two X6i remotes setup for fuse in our main living room.  His and hers.

Good Luck

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@JeromeM wrote:
-add a clock on the box (I know, impossible) but man that is the one feature I miss from the old PVR's I had!!
-when I press power, turn off the box! It's annoying to be watching Netflix, turn off the "TV" (tv/amp/Ignite box/lights/etc using Harmony Hub) then turn it back on an hour later and thr movie or tv series is still playing because I didn't hit stop before turning off. Just silly.

-unrelated to Rogers but when I use my Harmony remote to turn on my system the Ignite box doesn't turn on, I have to just hit any button to wake it up. My 2 other boxes using the Rogers remote it turns on the TV and Ignite box

You can program the harmony Hub to send 'sequences" when you hit the power buttons - that's how I turn on/off the old Nextbox 3, as there is no discrete on/off button (just toggle). I send "Guide, Guide, Power" to turn off, and "Guide,Guide" to turn on ("Guide,Guide" turns the box on by bringing up the Guide, then dismissing it - if you have the box set to "turn on with any button", this turns the box on).

That way you don't get the box power out of sync with the TV.

Does the new Xi6a box have discrete on/off IR codes? or is it a toggle also?

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@Biollw wrote:

" I assume the Ignite app/web viewer needs you to change channel from the device itself."

????. The Ignite TV app is a stand alone app that does not connect to the physical X6i in any way. You can not even do any scheduling from it. You can watch channels, your recorded shows or download a recorded show to your phone/tablet. Once show is downloaded to your tablet it is locked out and can only be watched on the phone/tablet you have downloaded it to. You can then release the recorded show back to your cloud DVR to be watched on your X6i or download to another device.

There is no USB ports on the X6i,. The other port is covered with a label. looks like  a HDMI  and marked INPUT.  Power, HDMI and RJ45 are the only connections.

I have harmony One and it works albeit not as good as the remote that comes with the  X6i. The X6i remote is RF whereas Harmony is IR. Besides that once you start using the voice commands/searching nothing compares, it is so easy. I even have my wife using the new remote, initially she preferred the Harmony. Now the Harmony sits in it cradle doing nothing. I have two X6i remotes setup for fuse in our main living room.  His and hers.

Good Luck

I understand the app is stand alone, currently we use an old tablet to watch TV on the deck (it sits on the fire table, and it's quite large enough - 11") - I use the slingplayer app which takes it's feed from the nextbox upstairs - connected via component video/audio to work around the HDCP. With this set up you can change channel on the upstairs next box using another phone/tablet (and you can get the TV guide displayed on the second tablet) - there is a bit of a lag, as the slingbox buffers the TV a bit. You could theoretically use the actual remote for the nextbox as its RF, but it's actually out of range, so the slingox's IR blaster works quite well.

If I can't get the slingbox to work with the new box (no component video out, so will be stuck with HDCP issues), we may be able to view TV on the tablet using a browser (no app for Surface RT), or my wife's iPad. Now the problem is how do you change channel - have to go over to the tablet, and select a channel - no remote control for the app/web browser viewer.

Unless someone has a clever way to change the channel on the app/browser interface from a distance?

Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

"how do you change channel"

get up and change it on the tablet. Only way unless you get a pointer device/mouse for the tablet.

steven178
I've Been Around

Just wondering if you had any luck with the install charge being waived.  I'm also a tech guy and do not see the need to pay someone $150 for the install  Just seems crazy since I already have a google wireless.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

Didn't try,

I'll just let them do their thing, then figure it out myself afterward.

Scheduled for install tomorrow...

JeromeM
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W

I will try to add those sequences and see what happens, thanks for the tip!
RogersTony

Hello @singhmonal

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention! Having to reboot your boxes due to a frozen screen is definitely not ideal.

When the boxes get stuck in the Screensaver mode does it still scroll through the images or does it get stuck on a particular image? If this happens again, please press the "A" button on the remote and see if the settings menu appears. You should see the first option is "Reboot", please select this option to do a soft reboot of the affected box and see if the issue is persistent after the reboot.

Are there any other Ignite TV users in the Community who have been experiencing the same or a similar issue?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not that I have seen on mine at least.

I have the screen saver set pretty low time wise.  And while the wife is on the phone, she'll leave it there for a good 30 mins sometimes.  Havent experienced it locking on that.