Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

so had a service tech come over as one of my boxes stop working. While he was here had him reset the modem as  I could not sign into the admin page. I noticed that he didn't set up a seperate ssid for both 2.4 & 5ghz, when I asked why I was told they no longer set it up that way,  eventhough the original agent had no problem setting it up. How is everyone elses set up?

I Plan to Stick Around

I have always had the same SSID for both my 2.4 and 5ghx wifi networks. It makes more sense than having separate SSIDs because then you don’t have to worry about switching SSIDs on your wireless device as you move through the house depending on which network is stronger. It makes it seamless.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to point out, we've been down the single SSID road before on the forum.  That subject hasn't come up for a while now, but, from the results that we've seen previously, single SSIDs produce nothing but confusion as the user doesn't know which network is in use for any given device and that introduces a lot of confusion when it comes to troubleshooting poor wifi performance. 

The other issue is that devices don't necessarily roam back and forth between networks as one would assume.  There is usually a roaming setting in the router, based on power levels, which controls the point at which a device is kicked over to the other network.  Asus routers have power levels which can be set to control that roaming point.  Other companies have black boxed that setting as users typically don't get it right and end up with problems as a result.  Now there are mesh networks that are being employed which effectively do the same thing.

This could be the subject of a whole new thread.  The point that I'm trying to make is that single SSIDs introduce their own problems, as we've seen in the past.  If anyone is using a single SSID, then they have to be prepared to separate those networks for troubleshooting purposes, and possibly permanently if that resolves the problems.

I Plan to Stick Around

I’ve already noticed a difference with a few of my devices. If a preform a factory reset of the modem will i be able to set it up with both......
I'm a Senior Advisor

After sitting back and reading all the posts and researching the Internet for other company experiences, and contacting Big Blue, here are some of my observations on some of the discussion.

Cost - since there are no promotions except the Netflix one for new customers or those adding more service, and now the option of 150 speed, the price may seem high.

Definitely if you compare it to traditional promotions available to new customers, those increasing services, or those working with customer relations to negotiate a new term, it is quite higher, but if compared to the regular price to those on promotions with the Navigatr/Hitron/Home phone model, it is cheaper I have found even without the promotions on the new stuff, than the regular price (not that I would ever pay the regular price - if I ever have to, I will be cutting services in very dramatic ways and just changing my viewing, phone, internet experience to what I can afford).

Compare the Ignite TV pricing to my current pricing for navigatr that expires next year and a Bell offer for identical, and they rank this way - lowest my current package, about 30% higher is the Ignite TV package for 150, so extra speed I don't really want or need, so not a true comparison on deliverable, but I am looking at needs/desires, not what they offer, and Bell is higher again, even on promotional pricing and the regular price, that isn't even worth thinking about, it is insane.

So my view on a full comparison of the two current models of Rogers, and the one of Bell, is my current deal makes no sense to move yet to anything, deal with it next year, and Bell's comparative package is even more than the Ignite pricing (excluding the issue of installation price which gets waived on the old model of Rogers for self install, and for Bell, it is contract determined).

Hardware wise of the two companies on IPTV - pretty similiar - noticable differences (note I am on Fibre to the Node not home), Bell provides same speed I currently get up to 100, so comparable there, bridging the modem is unsupported and a case by case figure it out on your own, Rogers you have to have both Internet and TV, not true for Bell, but no bundle discount.

Voice control - available directly on remote from Rogers, - Bell, you can do it from Apple TV or from the Fibe app, plus you can manage your recordings and choose tv show on the TV from the app.  Due to licensing restrictions, Rogers can't manage the PVR.

rogers is recording on the cloud - one year - Bell and the Navigatr ison the box and there until you delete or your box dies.  Bell, you can transfer recordings to an external drive and attach to a new box - Rogers, you lose your recordings on the Navigatr, cloud you are not hardware dependent.

Both companies are limited in restart and on demand dependent upon copyright and licensing.

Same is true for casting and alternative choices of equipment - Comcast is testing on Xfinity on the Roku, Bell has a range of alternatives to their boxes.

So, just a summary of comparisons when people talk about prices and options - my own feeling is that the current rollout started as they called a soft rollout to first employees and then a limited number of customers, and it limited the load of testing and the network as the full price and install would turn away a large number of people.

I still view the box as not a fully completed model as licensing gets worked out and some of the bugs get cleaned out.  It is now out for full availability, but pricing and install will keep people like myself from seriously thinking whether what you gain is worth paying the money - for me it is not, and reality of budget, is I will never go to the model at the current pricing and install, I will cut cord and look at alternative options.

But if I wasn't getting promotional pricing at my current level, the old digital compared to the new Ignite is comparable in pricing, and there are pros and cons for both models that I would have to think about.

We may have a decision in the US courts on the TIVO/Comcast battle over licensing - Comcast won on the second second of patent battle, but the international trade court decision on manage your PVR is still in place, but Comcast is asking for an acceleration of that ruling, but for now, still no full manage your PVR functionality.

So my only point really in this summary is yes, TV and Internet and equipment and all the new fancy dancy functionality is not cheap, and at this time, there is no promotions for Rogers, and maybe self install will come as they indicated, saving the install costs, and maybe with time promotions will come - depends upon acquisition of the new model and whether they need incentives to get us to move or not.  Only time will tell on that one.

Yes, when you compare different technologies and companies, there are pros and cons, but we can't expect that some features in one model or other companies will naturally be available in all - that is a corporate decision and involves many factors, in particular, broadcasting licensing and feature licensing being the biggest factor - they all cost money and in the case of the Tivo case, it can also be impacted by legal implications.

The old SARA boxes and then Cisco with its voyager IPC relied a lot on open source coding with inhouse modifications, and so licensing was not quite as significant, and each feature that gets added, if there is a license, that is a cost to us, and if they have to develop it in house, there is cost recovery there too.

So I will continue to watch as it goes, it is interesting technology, well outside of my budget, of all the new stuff, the only thing I like is the voice controlled remote as I have visual and movement challenges, so it accommodates that for me, but I could do that on the old Home PVR app or the old model of Anyplace TV with the manage recordings/PVR feature, currently not available - I could use text to speech and voice control on my computer or device, plus on my computer, I have built in functionality to meet my disability requirements.

So for me, it is all TV and I want low end Internet, and I also want option of having my Network separate from my TV, both technilogically and company based if I wish, but it is possible that eventually the CRTC will force them to seperate the two as Bell had to.

So, in big picture, availability to the customer at large is currently only a few months old, so keep asking for input and additions and improvements - we are kind of in an unofficial beta mode again, but rolling out far better than Navigatr ever did (a nightmare that we all would like to forget and staff would too), but for now, I own my boxes and don't pay for equipment, which reduces my costs and I am happy with where I am.

Enjoy your services no matter what you choose.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BSI agree with your analysis of the market situation. We all want something better without paying a whole lot more. I looked into Ignite TV when I was invited, but passed on it for various reasons, mostly the extra cost and not wishing to change ISPs (I only have Rogers cable and a PayGo phone).  Currently my Internet is 15 Mbps DSL and it works fine for me, but with others in the house wanting to use an Android box and WII and streaming soaps, I get a lot of whining about the Internet. That is one reason I looked at Ignite. However, when I called my ISP to see about the cable Internet they had, I was told I could get 50 Mbps DSL without losing my landline bundle discount. So that's what I'll be getting for just another $20/month.

It appalls me that nowadays people pay more for a wireless account per month than I used to pay to buy a car. Of course everyone will say INFLATION! but when I was working my income was stagnant after 1990 and after I retired it dropped a whole lot and stayed stagnant. In fact, since my RIFF is mostly interest bearing investments, my income is shrinking.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know if anyone else has tried this yet but I was install the Ignite TV app on my Nexus Player last night. So far it's been working ok. I can watch live TV and recording with no issues. 

Has anyone else with Android TV attempted this yet?

I Plan to Stick Around

I have not committed to changing to Ignite yet.   When I do I want to keep all of my current setup except of course the old set top boxes.   I have multiple PCs, TVs and wireless devices spread over 3 rooms. 

While thinking about this I drew a network diagram of the current set up  and then 2 more. One using the Rogers modem router as it comes out of the box and one with it bridged and keeping my current ( Asus RT68U) router.

I went to the Arris website to see some technical details of the XB6 box and I sincerely hope  that Rogers will publish, on this forum initially, some of the configurations that they will allow.     

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@timlocke, fwiw the Arris XB6 is potentially a very good performer in terms of wifi performance.  Better than the Hitron 4582.  That's due to the wifi chipset that Arris is using.  Now, this is all theoretical as the functions that are available in the chipset aren't necessarily enabled, and no ISP publishes those details from what I've seen.  That's really unfortunate to say the least.  In the case of the Hitron 4582, beamforming is not enabled by Rogers.  I suspect that the same situation exists for the Arris XB6.  MU-MIMO?  Good question.  The devil is in the details as they say and unfortunately, only the Roger's engineers have access to those details.  The modems are actually very capable devices, but, ISPs choose to run them as simple wifi base stations.  By doing that, ISPs save on software development costs, testing and tech support for their customers. 

The only solution to this is to run the modem in Bridge mode and use your own router, where you have access to and control over all of the various functions.

I Plan to Stick Around

@fgsdgsegfe wrote:

I don't know if anyone else has tried this yet but I was install the Ignite TV app on my Nexus Player last night. So far it's been working ok. I can watch live TV and recording with no issues. 

Has anyone else with Android TV attempted this yet?

Is there an actual Android TV app or did you have to sideload?