Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@OLDYELLR  I had the same LOL as you did - sure 5 Ghz has been around for a long time, so has Cat5e cabling for 1Gbs ethernet.

Up until last year, I still had a phone that had no 5 Ghz, I still have two laptops that are 2.4 Ghz only.  The two laptops I have that are 5 Ghz are only that way because I got them given to me - they are actually 6-9 years old, one is a very high end gaming laptop - 1800 when purchased by my son in law, and the other was one in a corporate charity draw (off lease from the company) and is a 2800 business class lenovo.

So, yes, I am sure there are many out there that are still on 2.4Ghz.

Your set up of the router sounds like mine and my house - I had it on a shelf near the roof of my basement as the demarc was in a back corner (I have moved it since) and both 2.4 even with interference was better than the 5.0 because due to the electrical and structural layout - long, narrow, tall houses are not condusive to quality WIFI, that is why my house is wired top to bottom - WIFI also didn't exist when I purchased my home new and had it wired from the beginning.

I also made the comment about ethernet, because I actually still have 100 Base T switches around the house - my incoming speed is only 75Mhz, so not an issue.  It is still faster on Ethernet 100 than via WIFI.

So, like you, it is only on newer devices, because in my mind, I am still working on 15 year old switches and old computers, so anything that is 10 years old or less seems new in my mind.  Smiley Happy  I have the advantage that the demands I place on devices is generally minimal, I have tech skills so can upgrade and keep devices running long beyond, and began with the world of DOS - sorry, a very early device, Comodore, I think,  with a cassette tape drive and program cartridges.

Plus, I am cheap, like to tinker and have so many other things I prefer to spend money on than speed.  As long as the speed I have is reliable, I am happy.  Smiley Very Happy

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty  Thanks for the clarification on all of this information.  As I said to the CSR who directed me to contact tech support to answer a couple of my questions, I said, nope, I will go to the forums - they are the people dealing with the real life implementation in their daily life, and the types of questions, this group is more than willing to troubleshoot and test various issues, well beyond what tech support would ever do, in general - there are exceptions at tech support level, where you get a highly skilled person with the knowledge to work with the issues that this group often brings, which is pushing Rogers standard configuration often well beyond what they support or may even have thought you could do.  This is a residential service and many of us are speaking of set ups that are well beyond what the majority of home residential users would ever dream of.

Thanks as always, Bruce

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pvanb wrote:

Getting back to questions about experiences for a moment...

What happens when there's a power or network outage? Do programs that are scheduled or currently recording still get lost?

Traditional cable boxes actually capture the signal and save it locally on the STB, so clearly recordings would get missed/truncated, but how does that work in a cloud-based system like IgniteTV? Does "recording" a show just flag the content as now being in the "Just Recorded" and "Recordings" sections regardless of the status of the STB, or is there something more going on?

Exactly.  
Really the box is just the receiving interface.
When you set it to record, its telling it what to do on the rogers end.  Nothing happens on the box.

Early on with the system, I had an issue where we were not getting any live channels.
But anything we had set to record, was still recording.. and we were able to play them back.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had a situation where I either had a power outage or the STB stopped working. I thought that my scheduled recordings that were supposed to be recorded at the time of the outage were lost but when I powered the stb back on, the recordings were there. Soit seems that since the recordings and schedules are in the cloud we never need to fear missing our scheduled recordings.
pvanb
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for verifying what I'd hoped was the case @Gdkitty and @StatsMan. That eliminates another major point of frustration with the old STBs 👍

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I find it interesting reading the comments and reflecting on the ad on the Rogers page of the revolutionary change coming to my home.

I hated Navigatr when it came out - let's be honest, it had been rushed out and poorly tested and took them 2 years to get it functional, and they are still making changes as we see posted in the Blog yesterday - then when they tried to use it as a foundation for IPTV, it failed miserably in the "wild" of the live consumer network environment.

This is why I say it was never beta tested - the first beta test attempt was rolling it out gradually and shutting it down within days, but leaving the poor first rollout people with junk to struggle with. Even the next rollout to all 6 months later was full of issues and bugs, but no show stoppers, so we got it issues and all.

The current rollout has been more forgiving of customer choice to stay with their current services as they know it (minus manage my PVR).

The current rollout of the new platform as a soft rollout is kind of a beta, under a different name, - worst case scenario is you don't like it, and you are out the cost for the months use and the install fee and free to move back to the old model, but cost for going back is unknown, or move to another company.  So not really a beta - people usually aren't charged to be part of a beta. Rogers approach has generally been to test internally on their network, then with staff, and by definition, these are not beta testing, these are considered to be alpha, internal or bench testing.

With the forums and the tech and concierges they seem to be working steadily along to perfect the best configurations and determine what works well, what doesn't, and decide just what they are willing to support beyond a basic install. Nice and smart approach to the past failures and they even seem to have generally bypassed the current instability of the Hitron and existing Internet.

So kind of revolutionary - first - a gradual rollout - that is revolutionary for Rogers based upon past experiences - and high price keeps the entrance down to limited numbers - starting with 500 and 1 Gbs allows them to load test the system, and bringing new customers in with the promotional offer of 150 and netflix free for year brings a larger number in (they hope), with comparable costs to competition and within the product lines from Rogers and allows them to bring more users on, but allow them to again, not overload the system and meet the needs of those who really don't need higher speeds.

I also find it educational to me what is frustrating to me - nothing from Rogers frustrates me too much anymore - I have learned that part of working with Rogers is confusing messages, hidden fine print, many contacts to understand what I am getting and the actual price, fixing billing errors or services set up not as quoted.  I just pass on my concerns and see where they will go with it, and then decide to live with it or change.  I spend a lot of time here reading, posting, researching on line and calling in and asking questioning so I can way the pros and cons of the various options out there - at this time, Nextbox doesn't frustrate me anymore - I just live with it's limitations and am not willing to pay more money than I currently do for things like not losing a recording due to power failures, but one loss I would miss would be the reality that for those shows where licensing isn't in place to go back to start of show, I can't do as I do on Nextbox and just hit record - it is on the box and power failures in my area are generally very rare.

So although intriguing, I am not sure I would call anything in the new model revolutionary - revolutionary to Rogers current models as it is an "evolution" from one model to another, but there is nothing in this model that is not available from the other guys, in fact in some areas, it is behind.  We can expect soon that we can begin to see direct comparisons by the competitors and by Rogers, always interesting, but pure marketing as always.

So I will keep watching, and learning, and in the meantime, I become less frustrated with the features of the current box with Navigatr, enjoy my 75 Internet as that is all I need, and there are also some benefits to the box for me like starting a recording on all shows part way in as long as I haven't changed the channel, and there is always on-demand, which they say has improvements coming, and for me, although there is always the risk that the box can die or lose all recordings, I have some recordings on our box that have been there for over 2 years now.  I keep going back to them.

I know some day, I will lose them, but in the meantime, I have been able to keep them for a long time.

I don't watch tv on phones or my computers, so it doesn't matter that I can download them.  But again, revolutionary to Rogers, not to the competitors.  Rogers is catching up slowly.

But no intent to rain on the parade for those who want to move to the new feature sets and not change companies, I am just doing pros and cons, and at this time, I can't justify it on features, and in the case of record my PVR, that I would have to go to the competitor thanks to the stubborn attitude of Comcast and I am sure contractual agreements that prevent any of the licensee companies like Rogers, Shaw, and the american companies and the up and coming Quebec distribution of one of their providers to go on their own and open the option up to their customers.

Nothing stopping Rogers legally from keeping the legacy app running for this feature, but maybe they will decide to put it back now that they are back looking at improvements for Navigatr.

Keep the information coming.

Bruce

rinse82
I'm Here A Lot

Is this variable rate channel loading slow for anyone else?

I find it stays grainy/less than HD for a good 20-30 seconds before the picture reaches full resolution

I’m not even talking about 4K
andrew9446
I Plan to Stick Around

Not anymore. It loads in HD immediately, and then ramps up 1 level more quality. You can notice it on a scroll on news channels. Channel changes are almost instant now for me, logo appears then picture almost immediately. I read somewhere that if you have poor wi-fi signal to the box, it may be slow in response. I've never seen that though.

rinse82
I'm Here A Lot

I’ve got a wired Ethernet connection

Maybe I need to force a firmware update

What version is everyone on?
andrew9446
I Plan to Stick Around

I noticed that one of my Xi6 boxes has an older firmware version than the other, not sure why. Maybe they are slowly rolling out firmware, and not all at once.