Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

I have a 24 port switch connected to mine. In that switch is connected 2xNAS of 4 terabytes, 2003 win server, desktops, laptop, AVR, media player, color laser printer, 4K Blu-ray, smart TV, 3 routers setup as wi-fi access points. etc etc. 21 of the 24 ports are used.

Plus wireless devices, cell phones, tablets, smart thermostat, web cam.

So it really does not matter how or how many are connected. The Arris is just providing the DHCH IPs and the gateway. Most of my devices are static IPs.

No there is no USB mass storage capabilities to the Arris VB6. I have my netgear R7000 with a USB device for my 4k video storage.

Good Luck

I'm an Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

Maybe the sales team rep was implying that one possible route to take is to install a wifi dongle on a laptop.  That would work if the problem is with the laptop wifi data rates and the laptop was only capable of using a 2.4 Ghz wifi network.  A wifi dongle would give the laptop access to the faster 5 Ghz wifi networks.  You will have to provide more details for us to understand exactly what the problem is.  From there, maybe we can figure out the best route to take.  

While 5GHz wifi may be faster, it's shorter range, so maybe only useful in a small house. It's also only available on newer devices. I never bother with it.

5GHz may have lesser range in theory, but for a long time, there was a lot less interference than on 2.4, so that made it preferable, at least for higher density environments... (now that large ISPs are shipping dual-band gateways everywhere, that 5GHz band is a lot more congested than it used to be). 

Not sure why you think 5GHz is only available on newer devices. It's been available on decent devices for... 11-12 years maybe? Maybe more. The problem is low-end devices with lousy 2.4GHz-only 802.11n and such devices remain plentiful to this day. I've been running an essentially-all-5GHz network for maybe... 5-6 years now... in apartments/condos and it's fabulous - the only reason I have some 2.4GHz is that Harmony Hubs, my Kobo, digital camera, etc. are 2.4-only. 

I Plan to Stick Around

That's awesome ill only need 6 or7 ports
I've confirmed with the concierge that the installer can install a 4 port switch so that takes care of most of my concerns.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Just remember you’ll need a port for the uplink.
I Plan to Stick Around

hey are you still connected via IPv6?

@gisuck wrote:

So, I enabled IPv6 after applying a firmware update to my firewall. I cold booted the Xi6, and surprisingly it's working.

Can someone else test to see if IPv6 is now working in bridge mode for them?

As of this morning, yes. All my Xi6 are still connected.

I Plan to Stick Around

is there a tangible difference

The only difference I've noticed that there's this infrequent pause in channel flipping where you get a black screen for a second or two instead of instant live feed. Not a big delay, but it is noticeable when it happens as infrequent it happens.

YouTube and Netflix still works.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@VivienM wrote:

Not sure why you think 5GHz is only available on newer devices. It's been available on decent devices for... 11-12 years maybe? Maybe more. The problem is low-end devices with lousy 2.4GHz-only 802.11n and such devices remain plentiful to this day. I've been running an essentially-all-5GHz network for maybe... 5-6 years now... in apartments/condos and it's fabulous - the only reason I have some 2.4GHz is that Harmony Hubs, my Kobo, digital camera, etc. are 2.4-only. 

LOL! Well some of us have "newer" devices than others. My current router is dual band and when I got it none of our devices had 5GHz.  I had to locate the router on top of a heating duct in the centre of the house and the 5GHz signal is pretty sketchy at either end of the house.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Getting back to questions about experiences for a moment...

What happens when there's a power or network outage? Do programs that are scheduled or currently recording still get lost?

Traditional cable boxes actually capture the signal and save it locally on the STB, so clearly recordings would get missed/truncated, but how does that work in a cloud-based system like IgniteTV? Does "recording" a show just flag the content as now being in the "Just Recorded" and "Recordings" sections regardless of the status of the STB, or is there something more going on?