Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

I use the dual network setting. Modem still available to TV and Internet. I plugged my Asus router by cable to port 2 of the modem and the wan port of my router. Factory reset my Asus and then set up my router for providing DNS for laptops in my home. The laptops have older wireless N network cards and connect at twice the speed to my Router as they do to the modem.  My desktops [two floors away] have AC network cards with dual antennae and connect equally well on either network [modem or router] so I leave them connected to the modem.

This might help others decide what to do.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am going to setup my new Ignite Gateway and Tv boxes later tonight.  I was wondering about the following config:

1 - Keep Ignite modem/router in Gateway mode and use to connect to tv boxes via wifi (default configuration from Rogers)

2 - plug my TP-Link router (re-configured as Access Point) into Rogers Gateway in order to use it as my wifi router for all my other devices and also be able to use my router's guest network and other features.

Is there any issue with running multiple wifi networks in my house although the Gateway would be dedicated to my tv boxes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mbeim wrote:

I am going to setup my new Ignite Gateway and Tv boxes later tonight.  I was wondering about the following config:

1 - Keep Ignite modem/router in Gateway mode and use to connect to tv boxes via wifi (default configuration from Rogers)

2 - plug my TP-Link router (re-configured as Access Point) into Rogers Gateway in order to use it as my wifi router for all my other devices and also be able to use my router's guest network and other features.

Is there any issue with running multiple wifi networks in my house although the Gateway would be dedicated to my tv boxes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to the Community!  Yes, that configuration should work well.  I have tested a similar configuration and never ran into any issues.

Do you have a newer TP-Link router that actually has an "AP mode" that you can configure in settings?  That should "just work".

I have also successfully configured an older router as an AP, that didn't have an "AP mode" setting.  However, that took a lot more effort and you need to make sure that you have turned off as many of the router and firewall functions/services/proxies as possible.  It's a bit of a pain but it also works fine once you configure it correctly.

Edit: One thing that I would avoid doing is configuring the same WiFi network name into both the router and the Ignite gateway.  Do you need your router to expand WiFi coverage in your home or are you just using it for guest access?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick reply.

Mainly for guest network  that seem to work well for us as far as coverage is concerned.  It may not do anything but I feel that this way I can keep my networks separate in case I start to have any issues.  It is a newer Archer A10 and does have a dedicated AP mode.  Am I right to assume that I simply plug one end of the cable into the ETH 1  port on the modem and the other into a LAN port on my TP router not the WAN/Internet port, right?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mbeim wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Mainly for guest network  that seem to work well for us as far as coverage is concerned.  It may not do anything but I feel that this way I can keep my networks separate in case I start to have any issues.

One thing to keep in mind is that since the Ignite gateway and your router cannot form a mesh, your devices won't be able to seamlessly roam and hand-off from one WiFi network to another.

It is a newer Archer A10 and does have a dedicated AP mode.  Am I right to assume that I simply plug one end of the cable into the ETH 1  port on the modem and the other into a LAN port on my TP router not the WAN/Internet port, right?

The A10 User Guide doesn't specifically say but I would assume that in "AP mode" that all of your router's interfaces would be bridged together into a single, common network so it should not matter which Ethernet port you use to connect to the Ignite gateway.  However, it might be best to use the WAN port.  This would guard against potential problems should "AP mode" ever get disabled accidentally on the A10.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.  I am not worried about handing off between the networks as I would like to keep them segregated (somewhat).  Again this may not have any tech benefit but it might make it a little easier to troubleshoot any problems.  I am curious to see how well the Ignite Gateway works from a wireless performance compared to my Archer.  My modem/router is located in the absolute middle of the main floor of my 2 storey plus basement house and I currently have decent speeds and signal strength both upstairs and downstairs.  Oddly enough, my family room on the main floor (but opposite end of house as my router) has the lowest speeds but still decent enough for 4K.  I currently have that tv hardwired to my router although I am not convinced that the performance is any better.  Might try using that cable to hardwire the Ignite box and see how that works, although I have seen several posts that seem to imply that Ignite TV works better when connected to wifi.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mbeim  In my experience, the Ignite TV set-top boxes usually work fine with either Ethernet or WiFi.  Strangely, when connected by Ethernet, the Ignite STB will still maintain the WiFi link even though it will not use it.  There are also strange cases (too long to explain here) where your can run into glitches in a wired configuration but this should not normally happen.  That said, use whatever connection method works best for you.

Oddly enough, my family room on the main floor (but opposite end of house as my router) has the lowest speeds but still decent enough for 4K.  I currently have that tv hardwired to my router although I am not convinced that the performance is any better.

A 4K stream will only consume roughly 25 Mb/s, so it may seem to work fine.  However, if a WiFi connection in that location is marginal and the encoding scheme on its WiFi link uses a low bit rate, it will consume more "air time" to transmit that data than another device with a good connection.  Only one device can transmit on a WiFi channel at a time, so any other devices, even those in range using a different WiFi network, will need to wait for the channel to become clear before they can transmit.  If you have a marginally-connected WiFi device that transmits/receives a lot of data, it will degrade the WiFi performance of another device that is only a few feet away from your router.