Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

@toolcubed wrote:
Thanks again for the quick and detailed response. As for extenders, I asked because I have a friend who is using the TP-Link RE450 extender on the main floor of his 3100sqft bungaloft (with Ignite gateway in his basement) and his WiFi performance on the main floor and upper loft area is stellar. Apparently Rogers supplied him with that extender when he had Ignite installed a couple of years ago when it first launched. It won several awards and seems to be a fan favourite.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/tp-link-ac1750-wi-fi-range-extender-re450

Ignite TV will work with them.  Before the Ignite Pods became available, the Rogers installation techs did carry range extenders in their truck and offered them to customers that needed to extend their WiFi coverage but did not want to pay a monthly rental fee for an eero WiFi mesh.

I'm still not a fan of range extenders and generally try to avoid using them because there are now better (although more expensive) solutions available.  A good mesh network or other multi-AP solution will perform better and also supports standards such as 802.11k /v /r (for more info, go here and here) that enable seamless roaming across mesh nodes/APs.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks again @-G- As always, appreciate the help!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks a lot. I finally had time to do this and it worked. I turned the wifi off on the Rogers Ignite router using the admin mode. Put the Velop router into Bridge mode. Everything seems to be running well. I did name one channel 2.4 so the dimmers and light switches can connect as I need to manage connections with 2.4. Everything else on 5Ghz. I reconnected the Ignite TV boxes using the exit, down, down 9434 and they are all connected. I did lose some of the functions on the Ignite app as well as the Linksys app but I can still get everything done so all good for now.

I have three Velop nodes, one on each level of the house and I seem to have way way better connection and signal strength all over the house. We have a lot of devices connected and sometime as many as 4 laptops, 2-3 Ignite boxes, 4-5 phones, various other devices like dimmers/switches/Xbox/etc.  I get 500Mbs speed on my work laptop which is a lot better than the Rogers pods.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have my modem in bridge mode and trying to change the wifi SSID on my tv box. I have tried holding exit button down down 9434 but that doesn't work. I seem to be able to get into other menus like hold exit for 3 seconds and then down down 3 or you can try 4. These menus don't have option to change SSID.

I turned bridge mode off and set my Google wifi password to be the same as the original Rogers wifi but it keeps trying to connect to the Rogers modem. I have a feeling the old way of using 9343 doesn't work anymore.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gurvir19 wrote:
I have my modem in bridge mode and trying to change the wifi SSID on my tv box. I have tried holding exit button down down 9434 but that doesn't work. I seem to be able to get into other menus like hold exit for 3 seconds and then down down 3 or you can try 4. These menus don't have option to change SSID.

I turned bridge mode off and set my Google wifi password to be the same as the original Rogers wifi but it keeps trying to connect to the Rogers modem. I have a feeling the old way of using 9343 doesn't work anymore.

Press and hold the Exit button for three seconds, then punch in the next buttons in the sequence (Down Down 9 4 3 4) one second apart.  Also make sure that you are keying in the number sequence correctly; 9434 spells WIFI.

You can also reconnect the set-top box to Wi-Fi using WPS by pressing the WPS button on the bottom of the set-top box.  (Located in the depression on the bottom/front.)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I tried this multiple times and no go. See video below. I am able to get into other setting menus but not the 9 4 3 4

https://youtu.be/dt5PbXZLkrk
Highlighted

Hello @gurvir19,

We appreciate your detailed account of events and can certainly understand the importance of counting on a stable service free of any Wi-Fi connection issues. To ensure your modem is positioned for optimal performance, can you confirm if it is visible? Avoid placing it inside or behind cabinets, furniture or anything that can interfere with the Wi-Fi signal. Maintain space from appliances, electronics, metal, concrete or glass. Also, make sure the modem is at least a couple feet off the floor. 

If you’ve checked all the above and you continue to have connectivity issues, we will be happy to step in and assist further.

Keep us posted - Thanks!

RogersRob

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Have you tried just using the WPS button on the Ignite TV box to connect to your router ?

I used the process two days back and it worked on my boxes. Press exit for 3 second, press down, press down again, then 9434.

Also small chance but check the batteries in your remote. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I figured out why it wasn't working. If the internet modem is in bridge mode the 9434 command will not work. I had to turn bridge mode off. Power cycle the ignite tv box and make sure the ignite tv box was working using the wifi. Then use the 9434 command and connect to my Google wifi router. Then I logged back into the ignite modem and put it back into bridge mode.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for coming back and providing an update. Now we know.