Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

And the router doesn’t have guest mode so I hope you don’t need that. Service is decent but restrictive as far as features.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi G,

Thanks for the very informative and straight forward answer. This covered many of my concerns. Other issues:

1) You mentioned that the Arris actually has a better telephony implementation; what features does it have that make it so.  My current VOIP phone is from Primus and it has a terrific web-based call log. Do any of Rogers VOIPs have that?

2) Will the Rogers private Wifi signal (for TV) carry sufficiently from the XB6 up one floor from the basement in a typical house to the Xi6s or will I have to use CAT6 ethernet for those TVs.  

3) If I connect one Xi6 with CAT6 or Wifi, do I have to use that method for all Xi6s in the house?

4) Somewhere I read that the Xi6s will use whatever signal source ( Wifi or ethernet ) that suits them.  Can I control that?

5) Does the Xi6 have a password & if so, can I log into it and change the password and also the Wifi CHANNEL it is running on?

6) Somewhere I read that the default IP address of the XB6 is 10.0.0.1, is that easily changed if I log into it; also its CHANNEL?  My Hitron uses 198.168.0.1 which plays nicely with all my other devices.

That's it.

Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JWCalvert wrote:

Hi G,

Thanks for the very informative and straight forward answer. This covered many of my concerns. Other issues:

1) You mentioned that the Arris actually has a better telephony implementation; what features does it have that make it so.  My current VOIP phone is from Primus and it has a terrific web-based call log. Do any of Rogers VOIPs have that?

Rogers (and Comcast) considers the Arris and Technicolor XB6 gateways to be functionally equivalent. The Rogers Ignite phone service back-end is the same for both (and you might be disappointed by the simplicity of the service) but the Arris XB6-A and Technicolor XB6-T hardware implementations are different in subtle ways.

For example, the XB6-A has a few ways that it can signal a phone to turn on its message waiting indicator lamp; the Arris plays a stuttered dial tone but the Technicolor does not, so, if you have the XB6-T, your phone may or may not display the MWI, or the MWI may light and then get turned off following another call... again because the XB6-T does not keep track of the MWI state properly and cannot use the stuttered dial tone to signal that state to the phone either.

2) Will the Rogers private Wifi signal (for TV) carry sufficiently from the XB6 up one floor from the basement in a typical house to the Xi6s or will I have to use CAT6 ethernet for those TVs.  

It should... but it also depends where the XB6 is located.  Things like overhead ducts, etc. may block the signal.  I have a 2nd-floor bedroom that gets a better signal from the XB6 in my basement than my main-floor family room.

Rogers can also provide you with Ignite Pods to extend Wi-Fi coverage in your home.

3) If I connect one Xi6 with CAT6 or Wifi, do I have to use that method for all Xi6s in the house?

4) Somewhere I read that the Xi6s will use whatever signal source ( Wifi or ethernet ) that suits them.  Can I control that?

You can mix and match.  The Xi6 will always maintain a Wi-Fi connection but when connected by Ethernet, it will only used the wired connection.

5) Does the Xi6 have a password & if so, can I log into it and change the password and also the Wifi CHANNEL it is running on?

The Xi6 is just another Wi-Fi client.  There is no "password" to log into the set-top box but if you have multiple Wi-Fi networks in your home, you can configure the Xi6 to connect to a specific SSID.

The Wi-Fi channel is configured on Wi-Fi access point.  Some have reported that once you start managing the XB6 through the Wi-Fi hub, you lose access to some settings on the XB6, including the ability to set specific Wi-Fi channels.

6) Somewhere I read that the default IP address of the XB6 is 10.0.0.1, is that easily changed if I log into it; also its CHANNEL?  My Hitron uses 198.168.0.1 which plays nicely with all my other devices.

Yes, you can change this although I have not personally tried to do this on my XB6.  However, I can confirm that the Xi6 set-top boxes will work fine with an IPv4 address space other than 10.0.0.0/24.