Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Does Ignite TV affect your internet?

A friend of mine wants to switch from legacy cable TV to IgniteTV but she appears to have a more sophisticated home Wifi network as she is not using the Rogers gateway for internet.  Her router is Cicso (at least I see a Cisco router login page when I go to her gateway's IP on a browser) and she has three SSIDs on her wifi network, one for the business that is run out of the home, one for her home LAN, and one for a guest LAN.

Am I right in assuming that switching to Ignite TV would cause issues with her home wifi? 

If you are using Ignite TV does this force you to use Rogers gateway for Wifi in order to attach the Ignite clients to your LAN?  Are there more complex configurations where you can get around this?

I Plan to Stick Around

Your friend can continue to use her Cisco Router and her chosen wifi system. I suggest that she request the Technicolor Gateway for her Ignite TV package ... after the tech install the Technicolor Gateway simply put it in BRIDGE mode then connect the Cisco Router and you are good to go. 
check the following link how I did it 

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Installation-Experiences-Questions/...

message 958 and 959

Assuming she chooses a package that can service her needs there should not be any impacts to her INTERNET. My suggestion is the 500 Mbps package.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
I Plan to Stick Around

You can disable the Ignite modem and have it in a regular operating mode so you can hook up your own router and/or gateway with all the same settings intact. You’ll have to connect the Ignite Boxes via WPS to get everything working.
I Plan to Stick Around

From what I gathered talking to tech support and online. Yes you can use your own router however: 1) if not in bridge mode it will cause double NAT issues, 2) as someone else mentioned if you want to use the TV boxes wirelessly you will have to connect them to your 3rd party router via wifi. - it is my understanding that if you use your router the tv boxes will draw from your bandwidth available for other devices, if you use the XB6 provided by Rogers they use a separate channel/are isolated from your other internet traffic so they shouldn’t affect your other devices speed on the network (someone from Rogers will have to confirm that). Also note that if you do use the XB6 it does not have a guest mode so if that’s something needed than at this time a 3rd party router is the only option.
I Plan to Stick Around

Is there any guide to setup new Ignite modem/router as bridge here as well?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155 wrote:

Rogers has not published a "how-to" guide for this because their Tech Support teams can only officially support configurations where the XB6 is in Gateway mode and where the Xi6 set-top boxes connect either directly to the XB6 or through Ignite WiFi Pods or the (eero) Wall-to-Wall WiFi hub and beacons , not through a customer-owned router.

If @RogersDarrell  and @CommunityHelps  are okay with it, I could write up a more comprehensive "Bridge Mode" setup guide but I would also need to be able to revise it on an ongoing basis.  I also hesitate to do this because in my opinion, the only people who should be enabling Bridge Mode on their XB6 are those with moderately-advanced networking skills that can support and troubleshoot this configuration themselves and who don't require any assistance in setting this up in the first place.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155 wrote:

As I said in my previous post, there's no official guide from Rogers but the setup isn't overly complicated either.  Ignite TV streams are unicast so unlike Fibe TV, no complex configuration is required; there's no need to get multicast working through the firewall nor do you need to set up VLANs on your router's WAN interface.

Ignite TV uses IPv6, so you need to have IPv4 and IPv6 enabled and working.  For your router's IPv6 WAN setup, use DHCPv6 to obtain an address and request a /64 IPv6-PD.

(Rogers has also posted tips on how to configure IPv6 on various devices here.)

I would also suggest using something like 192.168.1.0/24 for your internal LAN's IPv4 address space.  You can still log into the XB6 by going to http://10.0.0.1 , even when the unit is in bridge mode.  (It will do the routing for this connection internally.)

With these network setup tips, you'll also be able to switch your XB6 back into Gateway mode without having to reconfigure your network.

When testing your network, tests on https://test-ipv6.com/ and http://he.test-ipv6.com/ should pass with no errors.

To connect your Xi6 set-top boxes to your router's Wi-Fi, press and hold the "Exit" button on your remote for three seconds then key in: "Down" "Down" 9 4 3 4  (FYI, 9434 spells WiFi)

Before switching to a "Bridge Mode" setup, keep in mind that if you should ever run into any technical problems and need to call Rogers for tech support, you will need to put your Ignite TV components back into their original configuration, with Bridge Mode disabled on the XB6 and your set-top boxes connected to the XB6 directly.  Do this before calling Rogers through your home phone service.  You can't disable Bridge Mode while you are on the phone with them because doing so will reboot your XB6 and drop your call.  The Ignite TV components need to be in their original configuration so that Rogers can run their tests and poll the set-top boxes for their status.

@-G- wrote:

@rookie8155 wrote:

Rogers has not published a "how-to" guide for this because their Tech Support teams can only officially support configurations where the XB6 is in Gateway mode and where the Xi6 set-top boxes connect either directly to the XB6 or through Ignite WiFi Pods or the (eero) Wall-to-Wall WiFi hub and beacons , not through a customer-owned router.

If @RogersDarrell  and @CommunityHelps  are okay with it, I could write up a more comprehensive "Bridge Mode" setup guide but I would also need to be able to revise it on an ongoing basis.  I also hesitate to do this because in my opinion, the only people who should be enabling Bridge Mode on their XB6 are those with moderately-advanced networking skills that can support and troubleshoot this configuration themselves and who don't require any assistance in setting this up in the first place.

Hello, @-G- 

It would be totally awesome if you were able to create a guide on how to walk customers through setting up their Ignite TV service when Bridged to their own routers. Since we do not support this type of setup we are unable to provide users with the steps.

I am sure this will help a lot of users resolve their qualms about making the switch to Ignite TV, knowing they can still use their own custom setups and equipment, which does not come cheap!

We really appreciate all of your contributions to the Community and look forward to reading your Ignite TV Bridged Setup Guide. 😃

RogersTony