Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Ignite Arris in Bridge with Google Wifi, ports blocked?

I have my Ignite Arris modem setup in Bridge mode connected to Google Wifi

I might be going crazy but does Ignite block ports? I had Rogers 500u before Ignite and could connect to any port I opened via Google Wifi. 1194 for VPN for example

I've factory reset my modem complexity, placing it back into Bridge, same result, ports are closed

Google Wifi has also been factory reset too as a troubleshooting step. It's like all ports are closed, with no option to open.

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing another factory reset and will try the Rogers firmware to see if Bridge mode is the culprit for sure. 

Does anyone have 1194, or a VPN port open, and working using Ignite with the Arris modem? 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TyWilliamsCA wrote:

I have my Ignite Arris modem setup in Bridge mode connected to Google Wifi

I might be going crazy but does Ignite block ports? I had Rogers 500u before Ignite and could connect to any port I opened via Google Wifi. 1194 for VPN for example

Does anyone have 1194, or a VPN port open, and working using Ignite with the Arris modem? 

I don't currently use a VPN service so I can't personally provide any confirmation either way.

Lots of users (customers of all cable co's that deploy XB6 modems) have reported issues with using VPNs with the XB6 in Gateway mode.  As far as I can tell, they mainly involve products that are not NAT-friendly and require VPN passthrough support, which the XB6 does not really do.  There also appears to be reports of some products working with an Arris XB6 but not the Technicolor XB6, and vice versa.  (These two modems are based on different hardware, so it's not surprising that there are some functional differences between the two.)  That said, folks who have reported issues with VPN connections not establishing (or dropping after a period of time) also say that the problems go away when they use their own router and put the XB6 into bridge mode.

As for Rogers blocking ports, I can't say for sure, but I also can't see them doing anything different at the network level just because you now subscribe to the Ignite TV service.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This works. Solid. thanks
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Iv heard lots of people have been having issues with using third party routes with the XB6 and Ignite TV not working properly. any router suggestions? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59 wrote:

Iv heard lots of people have been having issues with using third party routes with the XB6 and Ignite TV not working properly. any router suggestions? 

Is there any specific hardware that you would like to use (that others have reported problems with) or any specific reason why you would want to use your own router rather than using a solution that is 100% supported by Rogers?

We have some members of the Community with advanced networking knowledge who put their XB6 into Bridge Mode and use their own router and Wi-Fi equipment without any problems whatsoever.  Rogers doesn't provide any support for those network configurations and those users don't require any either to get them up and running.  Ignite TV is pretty flexible with what underlying hardware it can work with but requires fully-functional IPv4 and IPv6 networking stacks.

We have also have other less technical users who have requested that the Rogers install tech make use of their existing networking hardware.  They end up with a network configuration that they do not fully understand and which Rogers is also unable to support.

We also have some users who run the XB6 in Gateway mode, disable the modem's Wi-Fi, and use their own Wi-Fi mesh hardware in a bridge mode configuration.  This configuration also tends to be trouble-free.

The one thing that you need to keep in mind is that at some point, a day will come when you will require tech support from Rogers.  What that happens, anybody with a non-standard/unsupported network configuration will need to put their setup into a fully supportable configuration.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I would like guest mode and additional Ethernet ports which the XB6 does not support. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59 wrote:

Yes, I would like guest mode and additional Ethernet ports which the XB6 does not support. 

The XB6 hardware supports secondary Wi-Fi networks so it's technically possible for Comcast to add support for Guest Wi-Fi Networks at a later date.  Until then, I would buy an inexpensive access point (something like this) for temporary guest access.

As for additional Ethernet ports, you get an unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch in the $15 to $25 range.  I have even heard of the Rogers install techs providing one free of charge, if required.

You can add either of the above pieces of hardware without impacting the supportability of the Rogers-supplied hardware, and they would be less expensive than a high-powered router that would be required to replace the functionality of the XB6.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I use the D-Link DIR-890L without any trouble. It offers me better range than the XB6. I had to stop using the PLC bridge that Rogers supplied also, and move to my own MoCA set up. Problem free since then. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How do you have it setup? Do you use the D-link as the router?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59  For what it's worth, I also have my XB6 in bridge mode and am using my own router, which runs OpenWrt.  No issues.  For Wi-Fi, I've tested with a Linksys Velop mesh, various different access points, and have also tested with the Xi6 set-top boxes connected wired.

If I should ever need to call into Rogers tech support, I have my network set up in such a way that I can easily disable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and connect the Xi6 set-top boxes to the gateway with wired Ethernet through a switch.