Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Yeah, not sure what your neighbor is talking about.

There is no MAIN BOX in this setup.. all are the same, can do the same, etc.
Nothing records local, so not like one is a PVR, etc.

So nothing effected in that way.

I'm Here A Lot

@Gdkitty wrote:

Yeah, not sure what your neighbor is talking about.

There is no MAIN BOX in this setup.. all are the same, can do the same, etc.
Nothing records local, so not like one is a PVR, etc.

So nothing effected in that way.

Thanks Gdkitty

I'm Here A Lot

@RogersCorey wrote:

Good morning @jmart0809!

Welcome to our Community! 

Good question! One of our members, @Biollw has a successful wired/wireless Ignite TV setup with 2 devices wired and 1 on WiFi. So I can definitely confirm it can work. Just one thing to keep in mind is that your wired boxes will still want to connect to WiFi as a failsafe in case the Ethernet connection fails for any reason. 

Do you plan on bridging the modem to a router of your own in order to do this? Are you using our Wall-To-Wall WiFi system? In order to properly answer your question, we'll need to know a bit more about your planned setup.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Thanks RogersCorey. I plan on using eeros as well  and have the tech coming next week, hopefully he can set it up with both wired and wifi together at the same time, i have heard some of the techs are still new at setting ignite up so hopefully i have one experienced with the system. I also hope that the eeros is the new pro ac2100 that rogers uses as i heard the speeds are much further ahead than second generation eeros. If not i may just purchase the pro version and not rent. Thanks for the help. 

I've Been Around

I have Tv in garage! Is it just a high speed HDMI cable for hookup?

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. As long as you have a strong enough WiFi signal to which the Xi6-A can connect.

I Plan to Stick Around

Little background before my questions...

I previously had the Hitron CGN3 Modem operating in Bridge mode connected to an ASUS RT-N66u Router then on to a 24 port gigabit switch and from there serving the entire basement. The equipment is all located in the basement office near the demarc. I ran Cat 5e throughout when we finished the basement years ago. Main floor and Second floor do NOT have any hard wired LAN connections yet.

So yesterday, we just got Rogers Ignite 1Gbps service with the Technicolor XB6 modem and 3 Xi6-A Ignite TV Boxes. I will say that the installer may have been a little overwhelmed when he did the install. The main floor and upper floor have poor signal with the new Rogers modem running in Gateway mode. Installer said, "Never switch it to Bridge mode or the TV boxes will stop working" So he just ran a power line adapter to the upper level and main floor and the TV experience was not so great when he left. I wound up with 6 of these powerline adapters. I volunteered that having so many may not be beneficial. He shrugged it off. He plugged my ASUS wifi router into the port on the back of the XB6 so now I'm double NAT and have like 4 SSID's now in the house.

The first thing I did when he left was remove 4 of the powerline adapters and was able to get stable wifi signal to basement and main floor tv boxes. I left a single pair of powerline adapters to keep the second level TV working. Everything is fairly stable now TV wise. I'm pulling upto 900Mbps down on speed test so I feel that is acceptable.

Now on to the questions....

I'd like to fool around with switching my new XB6 modem to bridge mode and use my new TP-Link AC3200 to distribute WiFi to basement and main floor and use a newly purchased RE450 range extender for second floor. 

Question 1 - How do I get the modem back to Gateway mode if I can't get the TV boxes working?

I understand to get the TV boxes into paring mode, I can hold EXIT for 2-5secs and then press DOWN, DOWN, 9434. 

Question 2 - Does this give me access to manually enter SSID for wifi or am I forced to use WPS method? I usually shut off WPS at router for security reasons.

Thanks for any response!

UPDATE 1 - For S&G's, I pressed the WPS button on the bottom of one of the Xi6 TV Boxes and selected continue after the disconnect warning. When it went to pairing mode, I pressed the WPS button on my TP-Link box. It connected without issue. Upon doing the EXIT, down, down, 2 option. It indeed shows my TP-Link router in wifi status. It's been running without issue. Of course I still have the modem in gateway mode. I'm scared to switch it to bridge for fear of not being able to get it back to gateway if it doesn't work. 

Greetings @Ookpic,

Welcome to our Community!

While I can't offer much support as we don't recommend switching it out of Bridge mode, you can always factory reset it if you cannot resist tinkering!

Regards,

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, after several hours of messing around.....

I successfully put my Modem/Router into bridge mode. The reason for this was that the built in router had VERY limited capabilities for port forwarding which rendered my Plex Media server setup pretty much useless. 

This was pretty simple once I decided to actually pull the trigger. 

Here are the steps I took if it helps anyone else. This is definitely do at your own risk...

1. Enable router into bridge mode. You will lose all TV at this time. 
  2. Connect to your personal WiFi Router and set it up as 10.0.0.1 for default Router address I don't think this is really necessary but the internal 10.0.0.1 ip range is less used than the standard 192... so I just thought I'd set it up from scratch this way.
  3. My router is a tri-band router that has 1 - 2.4G band and 2 - 5G bands. I temporarily disabled both the 2.4G band and one of the 5G bands so as to force the TV boxes to connect to the same 5G during WPS paring. I suppose you could also do this manually from the box but the password entry is tedious so I just did WPS. 
  4. I labeled the remaining 5G band as "TV"
  5. I then did the EXIT button for 5 seconds, DOWN, DOWN, 9434 on remote for the 1st TV box which popped up the paring screen.
  6. I pressed the WPS button on my 1st TV box and then pressed the WPS button on my Router. Within a few seconds the TV came back on. (I can't attest to whether Netflix still works as I don't subscribe but it does come up with the sign in screen)
  7. I verified that the TV box was connected to my router's special SSID name by using the EXIT, DOWN, DOWN, 2 code on remote. After verifying that it indeed connected, I gave myself a little High 5 and moved on.
  8. I then repeated step 6 and 7 for the remaining 2 TV boxes. 
  9. So far so good. All TV boxes are all running without issue and speed tests are averaging about 800Mbps with all TV's running.

Next challenge is to get my 5G WiFi range extender working and get the remaining TV Box that is using a powerline adapter to connect to the range extender. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The ignite modem may have a limited number of ports that it can forward.. (havent tested it truely).

But there shouldnt be any issues with forwarding on it, in gateway mode.

I have right now a web port, ftp port, and my plex server all successfully forwarded.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

The ignite modem may have a limited number of ports that it can forward.. (havent tested it truely).

But there shouldnt be any issues with forwarding on it, in gateway mode.

I have right now a web port, ftp port, and my plex server all successfully forwarded.

Thanks for the reply!

I truly tried to get it working in gateway mode. I'm definitely no expert with routers but both my older ASUS N66U and my newer Archer AC3200 have the ability to forward a single external port to a single internal port on a given IP address. On the XB6, I could only see the ability to forward a range of ports. No option for direction to/from external to internal ports. As I said, I'm no expert by any means but all the Plex forums that I read describe doing it this way. I tried many different times to get it to forward properly and every time it would just work for like 5 seconds and then go back to not available outside local network. As soon as I bridged the rogers modem and setup the external to internal forward, it worked straight away.

If the TV boxes are working in bridge mode and I have great speed, is there any reason not to do it?