cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Creating this thread so we can separate any discussion about alternate methods of connectivity 
(if at all possible still, etc)

- Bridge Mode - is it capable of connecting the boxes to your own modem

- Wired connection

- How to connect these boxes in those methods.

*Edited Labels*

318 REPLIES 318

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around

So, that was a lot more tedious and time consuming than I had envisioned.  

I followed the steps as so graciously outlined in @Ookpic ‘s post a couple of pages back. I have the Arris XB6 unfortunately.  

I logged into admin by typing address 10.0.0.1 into the address bar, and changed the mode to bridge mode. Next I logged into my router and reconfigured the address to start at 10.0.0.1. I then disabled all but my primary 5GHz band, and renamed it to TV. I then went to the Wifi settings on the Xi6 box, and changed the SSID to TV. I used manual, as it was easier for me to type the password than to run up and down the stairs. Success! It connected easily, and worked flawlessly.

on to the 2nd TV in the basement. This was not as easy. By the time I got to it, it was “trying to connect”. It would NOT, by any means, go into setup mode by pressing Exit,Down,Down,9434. It would. It go into the summary screen by pressing Exit,Down,Down,2 either. Not even after unplugging, and plugging back in. Then I realized it was hardwired with Ethernet to a power line bridge. The power line light wasn’t on. Back and forth up multiple flights of stairs, trying to reconnect these bridges to no avail.

So I disconnect the Ethernet. Power cycle the Xi6 set top box, and I can finally get into WiFi setup. Manullay configure the SSID, and presto, it works too! 

Gigabit router in bridge mode, and Ignite boxes connected through my D-Link router.

But, I am a little worried about the signal strength in the basement, it was hovering around the mid to high -70dBm mark.

So, I set out to get the Ethernet bridges working. Turns out, the install tech should never have plugged them into my UPS and surge bar...removing them, and plugging directly to the receptacle, and now I have a good signal.

Problem is...I don’t know how to get the Xi6 set top box back into Ethernet mode.  Any help from the experts?

thank you!

Ookpic
I Plan to Stick Around

@Sandymctyre wrote:

So, that was a lot more tedious and time consuming than I had envisioned.  

I followed the steps as so graciously outlined in @Ookpic ‘s post a couple of pages back. I have the Arris XB6 unfortunately.  

I logged into admin by typing address 10.0.0.1 into the address bar, and changed the mode to bridge mode. Next I logged into my router and reconfigured the address to start at 10.0.0.1. I then disabled all but my primary 5GHz band, and renamed it to TV. I then went to the Wifi settings on the Xi6 box, and changed the SSID to TV. I used manual, as it was easier for me to type the password than to run up and down the stairs. Success! It connected easily, and worked flawlessly.

on to the 2nd TV in the basement. This was not as easy. By the time I got to it, it was “trying to connect”. It would NOT, by any means, go into setup mode by pressing Exit,Down,Down,9434. It would. It go into the summary screen by pressing Exit,Down,Down,2 either. Not even after unplugging, and plugging back in. Then I realized it was hardwired with Ethernet to a power line bridge. The power line light wasn’t on. Back and forth up multiple flights of stairs, trying to reconnect these bridges to no avail.

So I disconnect the Ethernet. Power cycle the Xi6 set top box, and I can finally get into WiFi setup. Manullay configure the SSID, and presto, it works too! 

Gigabit router in bridge mode, and Ignite boxes connected through my D-Link router.

But, I am a little worried about the signal strength in the basement, it was hovering around the mid to high -70dBm mark.

So, I set out to get the Ethernet bridges working. Turns out, the install tech should never have plugged them into my UPS and surge bar...removing them, and plugging directly to the receptacle, and now I have a good signal.

Problem is...I don’t know how to get the Xi6 set top box back into Ethernet mode.  Any help from the experts?

thank you!

Sorry couldn't reply from phone last night at work. Forum refused to let me login to reply!!!

The Install tech that installed my Ignite told me that regardless of whether you have a wireless connection setup with your TV box. When it gets plugged into ethernet hardwired, it will automatically use that. You may need to do a full power cycle to get it to show up in the statistics. 

Word of caution. the little powerline adapters they give you are junk. They are extremely unstable. Especially if you have more than just a pair. You can set them up to use one as the master and have multiple receivers if you wish but it will require them to be paired. There is more info on the powerline adapters that my rogers tech left with me. He was sure they worked only in pairs so he tried to have 3 "masters" and 3 separate receivers. A pair for each TV box. This just confused the whole network and barely worked. As soon as he left, I removed all of them. 

Info on the powerline adapters that I received...
http://www.brite-view.com/product.php?P=3

This weekend, I'll be redoing the whole house again trying 2 different ideas. 

1 - Installing a whole home WiFi mesh network.
2 - Installing a high power TP-Link AC4000 WiFi Router and using some high speed AV1000 gigabit powerline adapters. 

I'll definitely report back on which system seems to be most stable. 

Ookpic
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

@Ookpic if you have cable ports near some of those Ignite TV set top boxes, you should consider MoCA 2.0 ethernet to cable adapters.  Those will provide much higher data rates compared to powerline adapters.

Here's one example of a MoCA 2.0 adapter:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/

Hello!

Thanks for the suggestion of the MoCA 2.0 adapter. This is something that I didn't even know existed! Upon further investigation though I have decided that these units are very cost prohibitive. Although they boast ethernet speeds over in house cable, I find that powerline adapters have advanced significantly over the past few years. You can get an AV1000 gigabit powerline adapter pair for $65. The MoCA 2.0 adapter is $250 for a pair and that only gives you 1 TV box. I have 3 in my house so as I said, the cost is prohibitive. Thanks for the suggestion though!! 

Ookpic
I Plan to Stick Around

New setup on Ignite TV

So I wasn't really happy with using powerline adapters so I pulled the trigger on a 3 pack of Samsung Smart Things mesh WiFi system. I also purchased a single bringing the mesh network to 4 pucks. I can say, this is a dream! Easy to setup and I have WiFi everywhere in the house now and all 3 TV boxes are connected to the mesh. So far I haven't had any hiccups with any of the boxes. The WiFi speed is very good averaging around 400-450Mbps. I am less enthused about the hard wired speed. Yes, it decent at around 650-800Mbps but I think the Samsung hardwired router portion is less than desired. I am thinking about purchasing a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 for the hardwired side of my network. I love that the Modem has 2 WAN ports!! I figure, I'll plug the EdgeRouter into one port and let it handle all hardwired traffic and then let the Samsung mesh WiFi handle all things wireless. 

Only slight downside to the Samsung mesh is that you have to manually connect the TV boxes as I don't think the Samsung mesh supports WPS. Only a small inconvenience. 

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers Ignite TV+ Internet with own modem and other networking hardware

I am still on traditional (non-IPTV) cable and I have the Rogers 250/20 internet service with a Hitron CGN3 modem that I have had for many years now.   I have a Ubiquiti Unifi USG that I use as my router and I have 5 Unifi Access Points in and around my house and I have various switches on my network as I typically have about 40 wired and 40 wireless devices on my LAN.  I have NO interest in using Rogers hardware for wifi, or routing as I want more sophisticated capabilities for VPN, port forwarding, guest internet usage, etc.

I am considering upgrading to Rogers newer Ignite service and Gb internet.  

1. If I just go with faster Gb internet service and not switch to Ignite TV can I just put the Gateway in Bridge mode as I do today with my Hitron CGN3 modem?  Are there any issues with the modems that they give you for Gb services or are they pretty stable?
  2. If I get Ignite TV does this create other issues?  I believe that the IgniteTV boxes need to be on some sort of proprietary Rogers LAN, don't they.  Can you create VLANs for this or some other solution?  Can someone point me to a thread on this issue?

@wayner92 :

1.  If you're looking just to upgrade to gig service the only modem that is issued for that data rate is the Hitron CODA-4582.  I run gig service with the 4582 in Bridge mode and I've never had any problems with the service or modem in Bridge mode.  

2.  If you're considering a switch to Ignite TV service, back up in this thread a few pages and have a look at @Ookpic's posts, starting with this one:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

Skip thru the thread and read thru his posts.  Hopefully that will answer most if not all of you're questions.  The only remaining question is the Netflix service which believe that he isn't running.  

untouchable855
I Plan to Stick Around

Can Ignite Tv be hardwired? Im switching to Ignite Tv and was wondering if it can be hardwired instead of Wi-Fi because my appointment is very bad for Wi-Fi connectivity 

waverate
I Plan to Stick Around

@untouchable855 I would recommend that as the preferred method if it is available.

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around
I can confirm that Netflix works with the Gigabit modem in bridge using my DLink router.

Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

With all the problems people have been encountering with Ignite TV , I see a common problem with many of them., The WiFi. 

If you can hardwire it, much better to get a stable connection than leaving the connection to unknown Wifi interference and lost connections.

I had a friend get Ignite TV. The Aris modem was 2 feet from his TV/Ignite TV box and they still used wifi. I took a piece of CAT5 and hardwired it.

Makes no sense to me to go wireless if you can hardwire it regardless of whether wifi is the techs used wifi.

IMHO...your mileage may vary.

Bill

JML7425
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, it can be hardwired. I have been running via Ethernet since it was installed 2 months ago since my box won’t connect to wifi at all. Since the box only has a 10/100 ethernet port you could get faster speeds on wifi but it’s not really needed for streaming video.

waverate
I Plan to Stick Around

Are you sure the Xi6-A is not 10/100/1000?

Source: WikiDevi

Hey @waverate!

I can certainly understand why there might be a spec mix up! Seems the WiKi article isn't accurate to the Rogers model of the Xi6-A though which are 10/100 devices. 

@RogersAndy

chomyn
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been trying to use the Ignite service with my own router as I hated the Arris XB6 Modem.  All I did was put then Rogers Ignite modem in bridging mode and connected my Linksys Router and configured the setup as normal with no special configuration.  Then I was able to pair the Ignite boxes via WPS by hitting the button of the bottom on the box and then the WPS on my Linksys router.  I figured Rogers would block third party hardware, but it works.  Sounds way too easy and too good to be true, but it worked.

The one BONUS thing that is awesome is that the service even works with third party DNS providers so if you want to have geounblocking, parental controls, or more security you just update the DNS in your router and voila!  This even updates Netflix on the Rogers Ignite box.  I haven't tested other routers, so I don't know if this will work for everyone.

David378
I Plan to Stick Around

Hard wired ignite box

Hello all,

I had my ignite installed last year and the tech told me that the two ignite boxes have to be wireless if I was to plug it into my wired network I would never be able to go back to wireless. So currently they are running wireless I have poor connection between them causing my 4K to constantly give me problems so I don’t even watch 4K anymore , Also the wireless Wi-Fi barely extends outside my house giving us issues when we sit on our patio trying to stream music this was not a problem before we switch to ignite, also the wireless Wi-Fi barely extends outside my house giving us issues when we sit on our patio trying to stream music this was not a problem before we switched to Ignite , curious if I was to plug it into my network if it would be a better connection and my 4K would work , of course the cell phone number the tech gave me saying they are the people to talk to , and never have to call Rogers again simply wasn’t true when I called the cell phone number given to me a technician on the other end says that tech no longer works for the company and I am to deal with Rogers not the installation company .

That being said I am not sure if the tech telling me that I have to remain wireless is true or not has anybody else dealt with an issue like this or is there anybody that has their ignite box hardwired into their network ?

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around

If you can go wired, that is the way to go. You do not need to go wireless, and it is quite easy to switch back and forth. Do you have Ethernet where your set top boxes are? If not, you can still go hardwired, using either a powerline bridge, or a RG58 bridge if you have cable near them.

Depending on which ignite modem you have, you might’ve better of getting yourself a good router and bridging your modem, if you’re having wifi signal issues. 

David378
I Plan to Stick Around

yes i have ethernet at my two boxes...... ill go hardwired no problem....tech said it was a bad idea.... although he no longer works there too....

rvsoo7
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi everyone, I'm an existing Rogers TV (premier) & Internet (gigabit) customer and there is an offer to switch to Ignite for essentially the same monthly rate that I am currently paying now.  But there are a couple of technical questions I want to find answers to before I make the jump.

I've already skimmed the first couple of pages of this thread (where posts are from 2018) and found that it is possible to bridge the Ignite modem and still be able to keep the Ignite TV service.  Is this still the case that it is relatively easy to do (and Rogers have not blocked this from happening)?  I have a Netgear R7000 setup at home and all my wired & wireless devices are already set up on that modem.  I really don't want to have to switch to the Ignite modem and set up everything all over again.  So are the instructions on the first couple of pages still valid?

Secondly, is the Ignite Home Phone service essentially the same as the previous Rogers Home Phone, where there is a separate home phone modem connected directly to the coaxial cable line coming into the house?  Or does the Ignite Home Phone require a different set up?

I've read about people saying they can turn the Ignite TV boxes from wireless to wired.  This would be ideal for me because at all my TV locations, I have ethernet wiring available so I would prefer to have the Ignite TV setup for wired ethernet.  I'd imagine it would then be free of wifi deadspots & interferences, etc.  Is it easy to switch to wired mode and can I do that myself or I have to tell the technician to do it when it's all being set up?

Finally, I heard that the Ignite TV installation is $150!  That's pretty steep compared to what Rogers typically charges for installation ($50)?  How successful are people getting the installation fee completely waived or at least reduced?

Thanks for any help and feedback!

Ookpic
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey There

Go back to post 156. I was in the exact same situation as you. I read the entire post all threads and put together a little step by step how to a couple of days into it and that is post 158. Quick answer, yes it is very doable. I've been doing it for months now. I will tell you that if you plan on having multiple Ignite TV boxes running on wireless, you should look into some sort of mesh WiFi. The TV boxes only work on 5GHz and require a pretty decent bandwidth. Seems like your router is up for that task but 5GHz has limited range. Just warning you is all. If you have the TV boxes hardwired to ethernet, you're golden.

Brad

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around
What ookpic said. I followed his directions, and was succesful. I have three boxes, one wired and two wireless with no issues. Wired mode set up is as easy as conmecting the ethernet cable to the set top box. It will default to wired mode.
And i was also successful at having the installation fee waived entirely as a goodwill loyalty gesture. Good luck!

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around
To answer the question about home phone. There is no separate box. The Ignite modem incorporates the ignite home phone service.