Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Ignite Arris in Bridge with Google Wifi, ports blocked?

I have my Ignite Arris modem setup in Bridge mode connected to Google Wifi

I might be going crazy but does Ignite block ports? I had Rogers 500u before Ignite and could connect to any port I opened via Google Wifi. 1194 for VPN for example

I've factory reset my modem complexity, placing it back into Bridge, same result, ports are closed

Google Wifi has also been factory reset too as a troubleshooting step. It's like all ports are closed, with no option to open.

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing another factory reset and will try the Rogers firmware to see if Bridge mode is the culprit for sure. 

Does anyone have 1194, or a VPN port open, and working using Ignite with the Arris modem? 

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

@TyWilliamsCA wrote:

I have my Ignite Arris modem setup in Bridge mode connected to Google Wifi

I might be going crazy but does Ignite block ports? I had Rogers 500u before Ignite and could connect to any port I opened via Google Wifi. 1194 for VPN for example

Does anyone have 1194, or a VPN port open, and working using Ignite with the Arris modem? 

I don't currently use a VPN service so I can't personally provide any confirmation either way.

Lots of users (customers of all cable co's that deploy XB6 modems) have reported issues with using VPNs with the XB6 in Gateway mode.  As far as I can tell, they mainly involve products that are not NAT-friendly and require VPN passthrough support, which the XB6 does not really do.  There also appears to be reports of some products working with an Arris XB6 but not the Technicolor XB6, and vice versa.  (These two modems are based on different hardware, so it's not surprising that there are some functional differences between the two.)  That said, folks who have reported issues with VPN connections not establishing (or dropping after a period of time) also say that the problems go away when they use their own router and put the XB6 into bridge mode.

As for Rogers blocking ports, I can't say for sure, but I also can't see them doing anything different at the network level just because you now subscribe to the Ignite TV service.