Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Hey @waverate!

I can certainly understand why there might be a spec mix up! Seems the WiKi article isn't accurate to the Rogers model of the Xi6-A though which are 10/100 devices. 

@RogersAndy

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been trying to use the Ignite service with my own router as I hated the Arris XB6 Modem.  All I did was put then Rogers Ignite modem in bridging mode and connected my Linksys Router and configured the setup as normal with no special configuration.  Then I was able to pair the Ignite boxes via WPS by hitting the button of the bottom on the box and then the WPS on my Linksys router.  I figured Rogers would block third party hardware, but it works.  Sounds way too easy and too good to be true, but it worked.

The one BONUS thing that is awesome is that the service even works with third party DNS providers so if you want to have geounblocking, parental controls, or more security you just update the DNS in your router and voila!  This even updates Netflix on the Rogers Ignite box.  I haven't tested other routers, so I don't know if this will work for everyone.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hard wired ignite box

Hello all,

I had my ignite installed last year and the tech told me that the two ignite boxes have to be wireless if I was to plug it into my wired network I would never be able to go back to wireless. So currently they are running wireless I have poor connection between them causing my 4K to constantly give me problems so I don’t even watch 4K anymore , Also the wireless Wi-Fi barely extends outside my house giving us issues when we sit on our patio trying to stream music this was not a problem before we switch to ignite, also the wireless Wi-Fi barely extends outside my house giving us issues when we sit on our patio trying to stream music this was not a problem before we switched to Ignite , curious if I was to plug it into my network if it would be a better connection and my 4K would work , of course the cell phone number the tech gave me saying they are the people to talk to , and never have to call Rogers again simply wasn’t true when I called the cell phone number given to me a technician on the other end says that tech no longer works for the company and I am to deal with Rogers not the installation company .

That being said I am not sure if the tech telling me that I have to remain wireless is true or not has anybody else dealt with an issue like this or is there anybody that has their ignite box hardwired into their network ?

I Plan to Stick Around

If you can go wired, that is the way to go. You do not need to go wireless, and it is quite easy to switch back and forth. Do you have Ethernet where your set top boxes are? If not, you can still go hardwired, using either a powerline bridge, or a RG58 bridge if you have cable near them.

Depending on which ignite modem you have, you might’ve better of getting yourself a good router and bridging your modem, if you’re having wifi signal issues. 

I Plan to Stick Around

yes i have ethernet at my two boxes...... ill go hardwired no problem....tech said it was a bad idea.... although he no longer works there too....

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi everyone, I'm an existing Rogers TV (premier) & Internet (gigabit) customer and there is an offer to switch to Ignite for essentially the same monthly rate that I am currently paying now.  But there are a couple of technical questions I want to find answers to before I make the jump.

I've already skimmed the first couple of pages of this thread (where posts are from 2018) and found that it is possible to bridge the Ignite modem and still be able to keep the Ignite TV service.  Is this still the case that it is relatively easy to do (and Rogers have not blocked this from happening)?  I have a Netgear R7000 setup at home and all my wired & wireless devices are already set up on that modem.  I really don't want to have to switch to the Ignite modem and set up everything all over again.  So are the instructions on the first couple of pages still valid?

Secondly, is the Ignite Home Phone service essentially the same as the previous Rogers Home Phone, where there is a separate home phone modem connected directly to the coaxial cable line coming into the house?  Or does the Ignite Home Phone require a different set up?

I've read about people saying they can turn the Ignite TV boxes from wireless to wired.  This would be ideal for me because at all my TV locations, I have ethernet wiring available so I would prefer to have the Ignite TV setup for wired ethernet.  I'd imagine it would then be free of wifi deadspots & interferences, etc.  Is it easy to switch to wired mode and can I do that myself or I have to tell the technician to do it when it's all being set up?

Finally, I heard that the Ignite TV installation is $150!  That's pretty steep compared to what Rogers typically charges for installation ($50)?  How successful are people getting the installation fee completely waived or at least reduced?

Thanks for any help and feedback!

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey There

Go back to post 156. I was in the exact same situation as you. I read the entire post all threads and put together a little step by step how to a couple of days into it and that is post 158. Quick answer, yes it is very doable. I've been doing it for months now. I will tell you that if you plan on having multiple Ignite TV boxes running on wireless, you should look into some sort of mesh WiFi. The TV boxes only work on 5GHz and require a pretty decent bandwidth. Seems like your router is up for that task but 5GHz has limited range. Just warning you is all. If you have the TV boxes hardwired to ethernet, you're golden.

Brad

I Plan to Stick Around

What ookpic said. I followed his directions, and was succesful. I have three boxes, one wired and two wireless with no issues. Wired mode set up is as easy as conmecting the ethernet cable to the set top box. It will default to wired mode.
And i was also successful at having the installation fee waived entirely as a goodwill loyalty gesture. Good luck!
I Plan to Stick Around

To answer the question about home phone. There is no separate box. The Ignite modem incorporates the ignite home phone service.
I Plan to Stick Around

Can You Connect A Wireless TV Receiver To Your Own Access Point ?

Has anyone ever tried to setup on of your wireless tv receivers and connect it to the wfi signal of one of your own Access Point devices or is it mandatory for it to be connected to the Arris Modem?