Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

@Datalink wrote:

@Ookpic if you have cable ports near some of those Ignite TV set top boxes, you should consider MoCA 2.0 ethernet to cable adapters.  Those will provide much higher data rates compared to powerline adapters.

Here's one example of a MoCA 2.0 adapter:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/

Hello!

Thanks for the suggestion of the MoCA 2.0 adapter. This is something that I didn't even know existed! Upon further investigation though I have decided that these units are very cost prohibitive. Although they boast ethernet speeds over in house cable, I find that powerline adapters have advanced significantly over the past few years. You can get an AV1000 gigabit powerline adapter pair for $65. The MoCA 2.0 adapter is $250 for a pair and that only gives you 1 TV box. I have 3 in my house so as I said, the cost is prohibitive. Thanks for the suggestion though!! 

I Plan to Stick Around

New setup on Ignite TV

So I wasn't really happy with using powerline adapters so I pulled the trigger on a 3 pack of Samsung Smart Things mesh WiFi system. I also purchased a single bringing the mesh network to 4 pucks. I can say, this is a dream! Easy to setup and I have WiFi everywhere in the house now and all 3 TV boxes are connected to the mesh. So far I haven't had any hiccups with any of the boxes. The WiFi speed is very good averaging around 400-450Mbps. I am less enthused about the hard wired speed. Yes, it decent at around 650-800Mbps but I think the Samsung hardwired router portion is less than desired. I am thinking about purchasing a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 for the hardwired side of my network. I love that the Modem has 2 WAN ports!! I figure, I'll plug the EdgeRouter into one port and let it handle all hardwired traffic and then let the Samsung mesh WiFi handle all things wireless. 

Only slight downside to the Samsung mesh is that you have to manually connect the TV boxes as I don't think the Samsung mesh supports WPS. Only a small inconvenience. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers Ignite TV+ Internet with own modem and other networking hardware

I am still on traditional (non-IPTV) cable and I have the Rogers 250/20 internet service with a Hitron CGN3 modem that I have had for many years now.   I have a Ubiquiti Unifi USG that I use as my router and I have 5 Unifi Access Points in and around my house and I have various switches on my network as I typically have about 40 wired and 40 wireless devices on my LAN.  I have NO interest in using Rogers hardware for wifi, or routing as I want more sophisticated capabilities for VPN, port forwarding, guest internet usage, etc.

I am considering upgrading to Rogers newer Ignite service and Gb internet.  

1. If I just go with faster Gb internet service and not switch to Ignite TV can I just put the Gateway in Bridge mode as I do today with my Hitron CGN3 modem?  Are there any issues with the modems that they give you for Gb services or are they pretty stable?
  2. If I get Ignite TV does this create other issues?  I believe that the IgniteTV boxes need to be on some sort of proprietary Rogers LAN, don't they.  Can you create VLANs for this or some other solution?  Can someone point me to a thread on this issue?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 :

1.  If you're looking just to upgrade to gig service the only modem that is issued for that data rate is the Hitron CODA-4582.  I run gig service with the 4582 in Bridge mode and I've never had any problems with the service or modem in Bridge mode.  

2.  If you're considering a switch to Ignite TV service, back up in this thread a few pages and have a look at @Ookpic's posts, starting with this one:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

Skip thru the thread and read thru his posts.  Hopefully that will answer most if not all of you're questions.  The only remaining question is the Netflix service which believe that he isn't running.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Can Ignite Tv be hardwired? Im switching to Ignite Tv and was wondering if it can be hardwired instead of Wi-Fi because my appointment is very bad for Wi-Fi connectivity 

I Plan to Stick Around

@untouchable855 I would recommend that as the preferred method if it is available.

I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm that Netflix works with the Gigabit modem in bridge using my DLink router.
I'm a Senior Contributor

With all the problems people have been encountering with Ignite TV , I see a common problem with many of them., The WiFi. 

If you can hardwire it, much better to get a stable connection than leaving the connection to unknown Wifi interference and lost connections.

I had a friend get Ignite TV. The Aris modem was 2 feet from his TV/Ignite TV box and they still used wifi. I took a piece of CAT5 and hardwired it.

Makes no sense to me to go wireless if you can hardwire it regardless of whether wifi is the techs used wifi.

IMHO...your mileage may vary.

Bill

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, it can be hardwired. I have been running via Ethernet since it was installed 2 months ago since my box won’t connect to wifi at all. Since the box only has a 10/100 ethernet port you could get faster speeds on wifi but it’s not really needed for streaming video.

I Plan to Stick Around

Are you sure the Xi6-A is not 10/100/1000?

Source: WikiDevi