cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Creating this thread so we can separate any discussion about alternate methods of connectivity 
(if at all possible still, etc)

- Bridge Mode - is it capable of connecting the boxes to your own modem

- Wired connection

- How to connect these boxes in those methods.

*Edited Labels*

318 REPLIES 318

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes, XB6 in bridge mode, and D-Link as my router. Changed the base IP to match the XB6. I have 2 Ignite boxes running on WiFi, and one in the basement running with the MoCA since i already had coax running to both locations.

@Sandymctyre wrote:
Yes, XB6 in bridge mode, and D-Link as my router. Changed the base IP to match the XB6. I have 2 Ignite boxes running on WiFi, and one in the basement running with the MoCA since i already had coax running to both locations.

Changed the base IP to match the XB6??  I'm not sure what you mean by that.  The XB6's internal IPv4 LAN address is a 10.x.x.x address; You shouldn't try to match this; rather you should make sure that you do not conflict with this.

On my router, I set my internal IPv4 LAN address to be in the 192.168.10.x range.  I get my IPv6 PD through DHCPv6.

If I have something like the Velop Wi-Fi mesh  (which can act as a router or a bridged network) I use 192.168.1.x for its internal IPv4 LAN addressing when it is acting as a router/gateway.  I connect the Velop to my router's internal LAN segment.

With this arrangement, I can even run all of my components in Gateway mode... not that I would want to do this normally but I can without breaking the network.

With my normal/operational setup, the XB6 is in bridge mode.  My OpenWrt router is my main router/firewall, and my Velop mesh is in bridge mode.    I can still log into the XB6 by going to http://10.0.0.1/ , even when it is in bridge mode.  (The XB6 enables this by rerouting the connection to this special address internally.)

lyfe12
I've Been Here Awhile

Issues with Arris XB6 and bridge mode

Hello everyone hoping I could get some help. I recently set my modem the XB6 to bridge mode so that I could use my own router a Asus RT68U. The issue is that the modem will every couple of hours disconnect the lights in the modem will flash red green and yellow. The only way to fix it is to turn off bridge mode and turn it back on. Anyone else having similar issues. I can use the wifi built into the modem no problem but I plan on buying a mesh router to get wifi across my entire home but with this issue it would be pointless. If it is a issue that is isolated to just my modem then I can have rogers replace it but if it is a issue across all the Arris XB6 then I'm out of luck.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lyfe12 wrote:

Issues with Arris XB6 and bridge mode

Hello everyone hoping I could get some help. I recently set my modem the XB6 to bridge mode so that I could use my own router a Asus RT68U. The issue is that the modem will every couple of hours disconnect the lights in the modem will flash red green and yellow. The only way to fix it is to turn off bridge mode and turn it back on.

Can you describe the status LED pattern that you see on the modem?  Is it alternating between Amber and Green and then turning Red or is it is constantly cycling through these three colours sequentially?  Do you see any errors in the modem's Event Log?  I think that the status LEDs cycle between Amber and Green while the firmware is updating; I have never seen (nor heard of) the XB6's LED cycling between three different colours.

There's no reason (that I am aware of) that the XB6 should go into a weird state just because you have Bridge Mode enabled.

What happens when you power-cycle the XB6 with Bridge Mode disabled?  Does the status LED eventually turn solid white?  If so, can you then successfully enable Bridge Mode after that?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the modem is attempting to update, and failing, that's usually a sign of signal issues with the external cable and/or connectors.  There is also the possibility that a failing external cable and/or connectors is reaching a failure point every couple of hours, which is temporarily resolved by the modem reboot.  That reboot doesn't resolve the underlying cable/connector problem.  That requires a tech visit to determine what the problem is and replace the cable and/or connectors.  

Call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep to run a signal check on the modem to see what, if anything, turns up in the results.

edwardparker
I've Been Here Awhile

DGM4141 Bridge Mode and no TV

Not happy with this DGM4141 modem/router.

The wireless speeds to PCs in my home network are about half of my own modem.

If I try to put the DGM4141 Ignite modem/router into bridge mode,I lose my TV as it appears it also disconnects the wireless to my Xi6-A.
My own modem that I used before "Ignite" has 6 RJ45 ports, 2 USB ports used for my laser printer and my media server, and great wifi.   

Anyway I can get back to using my modem via DGM4141 bridge mode and still keep my TV?

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around

Did you re configure your Xi6 to look for your router instead of the Rogers modem? It should be pretty straightforward. I set up one of my 5G bands specifically for the TV’s.

@edwardparker  The Wi-Fi on the CGM4141ROG version of the XB6 is actually pretty good.  If you are getting slow speeds, it might be due to its location, Wi-Fi channel selection, or the number of active Wi-Fi devices on your network.  I would try to get Wi-Fi connectivity to your XB6 working better first before trying alternative solutions.

Yes, enabling Bridge Mode on the XB6 will disable the Private Wi-Fi network that your set-top boxes connect to.

You can enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and use your own router with Ignite TV but beware that this configuration is not officially supported by Rogers.  If you should ever experience a problem and need to call into Tech Support, they will not be able to provide you with any support until you revert back to the original installed configuration.

To use your own router, you will need to ensure that both IPv4 and IPv6 protocol stacks are enabled and working properly.  For Wi-Fi connectivity, you can duplicate the XB6's Wi-Fi credentials on your own router and then enable Wi-Fi on either one or the other.  This will make it easy to revert back to the installed configuration but you won't be able to have the duplicate Wi-Fi configuration active on both your router and the XB6 at the same time.   The alternative is to connect your Ignite TV set-top boxes to your router's Wi-Fi: Press and hold the Exit button on your remote for 3 seconds, then key in Down Down 9 4 3 4.  When reverting back to the original configuration, you will need to perform the same procedure again to reconnect all of your set-top boxes back to the XB6's Wi-Fi.

I don't recommend using your own router (with the XB6 in Bridge Mode) unless you have moderately advanced networking skills and can comfortably switch your Ignite TV setup back to the original supportable configuration.

edwardparker
I've Been Here Awhile

Good info. Really appreciated.

I'm a big believer in "if you don't know the resolution, don't experiment, just either rtm or ask an expert." I now have the info that I need. Big time thanks . 🤗

FWIW, I was top level support for a 10,000 unit WWAN. 

I was hoping that it might be as simple as PPPoE.

Cheers Ted

@edwardparker  No problem.  The great thing about Ignite TV is that it doesn't require any special network configuration and should work fine with most 3rd-party network components.  However, you won't get any help or support on setting this up from Rogers, you will need to be comfortable troubleshooting any problems that you might run into, and will only get limited support from Rogers with Ignite TV in a non-standard configuration.  If you have any specific configuration questions, feel free to ask here and we'll share whatever tips and advice that we can offer.

One other thing to also be aware of: even though Wi-Fi gets disabled on the XB6 in Bridge Mode, it doesn't get totally disabled.  On a Wi-Fi scanner, you will still see some hidden networks active.  Do a wireless survey.  Assign optimal channels on your own router/AP.  On the XB6, manually configure Wi-Fi channels that will cause the least amount of interference to you and to your neighbours, save the config, disable Wi-Fi, then enable Bridge Mode.  You won't see much traffic (if any) on those hidden networks but it's enough to mess up auto channel selection on neighbouring AP's.

Best of luck!

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around
Hello G, I have to disagree slightly with your comment that Rogers techs will not help or support setting up third party network components.

I had lots of troubles with poor signals, dropouts, etc. complained and finally got a tech to come out and solve all my problems. First of all he solved the signal issues by installing 4 WiFi pods throughout the house connected to the Rogers modem/router WiFi network. All of the Xi6s STBs were connected to the XB6 WiFi network (1.0.0.x).

I told him that I prefer to use my own router on a separate network, to connect to my peripherals i.e. phones, iPads, chromecast devices, printers, etc. So, leaving the XB6 in gateway mode (1.0.0.x) with WiFi active, he connected the XB6 to my router which I then set up my own separate WiFi network (192.168.1.x). My desktop computer is connected to my router.

All my WiFi enabled devices e.g. A/V receivers, TVs, etc are connected to my private network and everything runs perfectly. My TV experience via the STBs is also perfect; I receive all my channels. Recordings, etc. are excellent and I get Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube without any problems.

All in all, the best of both worlds and no need to bridge the XB6.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RHstats  Your setup is actually still fully supportable (from a Rogers perspective) because your XB6 is in Gateway mode and your Xi6 STB's are connected to the XB6, either directly or through the Pods.  (In some ways, it's even more so because with your separate private network, your own connected devices are on a different network segment from the Ignite TV STB's.)

The configuration becomes "unsupportable" when you put the XB6 into Bridge Mode and connect the Xi6 STB's through your own router.  The support techs won't be able to run full diagnostics from their end and the firewall in the customer-owned router will block their tools from polling the STBs directly.

With my own setup, if I should run into a serious problem, the first thing that I need to do is confirm that the problem replicates in a supportable configuration.  (In some cases, a problem duplicating with different setups has even been helpful in the past because we are able to eliminate the XB6 as a contributing factor.)

@RHstats the problem with your current configuration is the double NAT situation.  As long as you're not running some high speed application, or possibly gaming, you probably won't notice the double NAT situation.  If you have a requirement for high speed applications, or gaming, or port forwarding across the modem and router, then you could run into problems.  So, just pointing out, yes, you can run a router behind a modem that is running in Gateway mode.  I do that for test purposes when I run a ping test thru the modem, looking for any latency issues.  But, its not an ideal configuration so I don't leave the modem in Gateway mode after completing any latency tests.

On the plus side, the network that runs behind your router can't be seen by the Rogers techs, so that configuration does provide privacy for your network.  For many users, that is a primary concern.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Double-NAT is an issue and the router also won't get much IPv6 address space.  I didn't want to point this out since the setup is working for @RHstats  but this is a setup that I would want to avoid, despite it being fully-supported by Rogers.

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around
Can’t help but think all this could be avoided if they simply offered a guest mode. Let’s get on this Rogers. Call Comcast or Shaw or whomever you have to to get this feature! I’m tired of excuses! You say you offer the best network and best service, time to show it!

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- Frankly, the double NAT doesn’t bother me. As you say, the set-up works for me and I don’t have any gamers in the house anymore. To tell the truth I’m not an expert, just self-taught with enough knowledge to be able to set up and trouble shoot my router and local networking issues. So what are the issues that I need to be aware of with a double NAT?

@RHstats there are a couple of issues that come to mind;

1.  there will be a small delay added by going thru the front end modem, but we're only talking about 1 milli-second or so, according to what I've read.

2.  port forwarding could be a problem for any application that requires it, and that could include VOIP phones.  Normally, if you have UPNP enabled in a modem or router and that modem or router is the singular device that faces the internet, any local device on your network that demands specific ports forwarded to its LAN IP address will be accommodated by the modem or router automatically.  When you have a modem or other router in front of the (second) router, there is no guarantee that the front end modem or router will properly forward the required ports to the second router.  This is where the fun starts when you have to forward ports to the second router and then to the device.  If that ever comes up, in the modem, assign a static address to the router and then set the port forwarding rules, pointing to the router.  In the router, point the port forwarding rules toward the device that requires the forwarded ports.  Will this work in practice?  Good question.  I don't know of anyone who runs port forwarding across two devices, but, if it comes up, give it a try.  

If you log into the modem and router, check the UPNP status.  If UPNP is enabled, you should see existing port forwarding rules which would have been generated by UPNP.  Personally, I've never allowed UPNP to run, and I've never had any issues by not putting port forwarding rules in place.  While UPNP does have its uses, it can also be used by malicious applications without the users knowledge which is why I won't let UPNP run on its own.  If any application requires forwarded ports, I'll do that myself so that I know what rules are in place and why. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RHstats wrote:

@-G- Frankly, the double NAT doesn’t bother me. As you say, the set-up works for me and I don’t have any gamers in the house anymore. So what are the issues that I need to be aware of with a double NAT?

NAT (Network Address Translation) is trick that your Router/Firewall performs that allows multiple devices on your home network (with private IPv4 addresses) to share a single public IPv4 address (allocated to you by your ISP) and is what actually enables them to connect to systems on the Internet.  NAT causes problems for some applications.  If you have multiple Router/Firewalls in your network path that perform Network Address Translation, the problems compound and this can sometimes totally break some applications.  (If you search the Internet for "Double NAT", you'll see many articles on the topic.)

If all that you are doing is casual web browsing, email, watching YouTube/Netflix and other similar mundane, ordinary tasks, then NAT and Double-NAT are not a problem.  Even applications such as FaceTime and Skype can generally can deal with it.  However, Double NAT can definitely break applications that have problems with NAT traversal to begin with, such as VPN clients and some VoIP protocols, and can also break applications that either use UPnP or require the configuration of special firewall rules that allow network connections from Internet hosts to systems on your internal private network.

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks Datalink, much appreciated. Other than the Rogers home phone (which is connected directly to the XB6, I don’t have, nor plan to have any VOIP devices, so I don’t believe that port forwarding is, or will be, an issue.

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks to you as well-G-. My Internet use is, as you say, casual browsing, email, and Netflix, Prime Video and Crave So I don’t anticipate any problems

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Does Ignite TV affect your internet?

A friend of mine wants to switch from legacy cable TV to IgniteTV but she appears to have a more sophisticated home Wifi network as she is not using the Rogers gateway for internet.  Her router is Cicso (at least I see a Cisco router login page when I go to her gateway's IP on a browser) and she has three SSIDs on her wifi network, one for the business that is run out of the home, one for her home LAN, and one for a guest LAN.

Am I right in assuming that switching to Ignite TV would cause issues with her home wifi? 

If you are using Ignite TV does this force you to use Rogers gateway for Wifi in order to attach the Ignite clients to your LAN?  Are there more complex configurations where you can get around this?