Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomThumb
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

And your original SSID's still broadcast from your ASUS router? Sorry, I've never run a router in AP mode. Can you also still connect wired devices to the router when it is in AP mode?
mbeim
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I have an Archer A10 and it was a simple config change to AP. I lost some of the advanced functions (parental rules) but still have my guest access. The Ssids remained the same for all my other devices. Simply plug your external router to one of the ports on the ignite modem(i have one of my tv boxes plugged directly into other port). I also have a simple TP link gigabit switch also plugged into my Archer (i may have said Asus before). Not sure if it makes any difference but i like having my ignite boxes on their own kind of isolated from my other devices in the house.
TomThumb
I'm Here A Lot

Does your A10 still broadcast both a 2.4 and 5.0 channel as well?
mbeim
I Plan to Stick Around

Yep. Still have both my original Ssids as well as those from the ignite modem available as well(i use those strictly for the ignite boxes.)
TomThumb
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you very much for your time and the insight. Much appreciated. Going to read up on setting my router in AP mode.

Sunshine881
I'm Here A Lot

What are the steps to use a new tp link archer ax6000 router with ignite modem/router xb6?

I am new to the world of computers and have very little knowledge. Would someone please share the steps involved with attaching a new tp link archer ax6000 to the rogers ignite modem/router xb6. 

Thank you.

chomyn
I Plan to Stick Around

For configuration settings, I'd consult the manufacture of your router.  However, it's as simple as putting the Rogers modem into bridging mode (you typically see that setting when you first log into your modem), connecting your router, and then linking the Ignite boxes with WPS or manually in the network settings entering the SSID and password of your router to get them to work.

HoraceMarch
I'm Here A Lot

Hello everyone,

Ignite Modem Networking Questions:

I am looking to get some information on the correct setup for my network. I am a beginner, the last time I looked at the settings on our modem was 7-10 years ago. My family recently changed to Ignite and replaced our old modem.

Simultaneously I got my family an updated switch. Our previous switch was one that my father bought a long time ago and everything seemed to be working with it despite not having a router between it and the modem.

After getting the Ignite modem, I connected the new gigabit switch and all previously connected devices. The internet worked for a week or two, but then the devices connected to the switch stopped getting an internet connection and the modem started having issues. I have since got a new modem from Rogers and want to set up things correctly this time.

From reading a few threads what I understand is that this is because I don't have a router between the Ignite modem and the switch and that I need a router for IP assignment for the devices connected to the switch. In our house there are multiple computers, laptops, android boxes, video game consoles, and the Rogers Ignite TV boxes.

Is my understanding about my previous internet connection problem correct? Do I need to get a router and place it between the modem and the switch? After I do that, do I need to do anything in the router like change information in its settings? Will I need to manually add the information for the devices I want to be able to connect to the router or is it automatic? Do I then just plug the router into the switch and nothing more?
Do I need to put the Roger's Ignite modem into bridge mode, so that I can use the routers WiFi with the Ignite TV boxes?

Sorry if these are obvious questions I just really don't understand what the first steps are and don't want to assume I am right. The internet is working now because all I have connected is two computers into the back of the modem and everything else by WiFi, but I would like to have many other devices connected by Ethernet.

If anyone could provide some instructions on what to do then thank you in advance for the information.

mbeim
I Plan to Stick Around

You should be able to just plug your switch directly into the gateway for your wired devices. The Ignite gateway is both a modem and WiFi router when it is left on its default state. Are you able to connect your devices to the wifi network?
HoraceMarch
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, my devices (cell phone, laptops, etc) are connected to the WiFi right now. 

I had previously connected two RJ45 cables from the modem to two seperate switches.  Then from the switches I had connections running to my devices, but one day everything just stopped working and I couldn't get a connection. 

For a little bit of time I still had the WiFi connection, but then that went away too.   I got a new modem, but when I tried to connect the new modem to the switch I had no connection for the devices connected to the switch.

I was only able to get a connection after connecting the RJ445 directly from the new modem to a device (computer in this case).