Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

I would assume, that you could run your on complete routers as APs just fine with using the rogers modem not bridged.
As that is essentially how the Eero & rogers modem setup is.

While I cant control the detailed wifi settings from the rogers app (say change the password, etc), and have to that via the Eero app.
All the app control works.  It sees all the devices, gets all the MACs and are able to assign stuff to profiles, etc.

davej13
I Plan to Stick Around

@Codexman1 Were you able to get your router set up as an access point?  I'd like to get my Archer C9 set up as an AP to see how if connection for the TV boxes can be improved.  Right now I have the box connected via Ethernet to a pod but apparently our family room is a dead zone according to a tech that came out to investigate why the TV box loses signal multiple times a day.

From what I recall from my discussion with the tech an issue might be that the Rogers modem does band steering and the router does not.  

JWCalvert
I Plan to Stick Around

wifi or cat6

I am considering getting Ignite TV. Can someone explain the network structure choices to my TVs that I will have in my house: wifi or cat6? or both?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JWCalvert the Xi6-A or Xi6-T set top boxes will use a wifi path back to the modem even if they are connected via Cat-6.  If you bridge the XB6 modem, it will still transmit hidden wifi networks, so obviously its not a true bridge mode.  You can work around the hidden networks.  

@-G- can provide more details on the XB6 - Xi6 combo.  

There are two XB6 versions, the Arris TG-3482ER (Intel Puma 7) and the Technicolor CGM-4141ROG (Broadcom BCM-3390).  The Arris TG-3482 is very similar to the Hitron CODA-4852, which is also an Intel Puma 7 chipset modem.  In this case the Arris version is an EMTA modem with telephone capability.  The modem of choice should be the Technicolor CGM-4141ROG.  The set top box of choice should be the latest version, Xi6-T, which is Dynamic Frequency Selection (Wifi DFS) capable and which has a wider video output selection.

The Ignite TV sub-forum is found here:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/bd-p/IgniteTV

There is a thread somewhere in here regarding connections or alternate connections for the Ignite TV system. 

Note that due to the dependence on the wifi path back to the modem, despite a solid ethernet path, a poor wifi connection can cause apparently problems for the Xi6 set top boxes.  Sounds like a poor design decision to me, we're going to toss a superior ethernet path for a poor to terrible wifi path.  Why would anyone make that decision???

JWCalvert
I Plan to Stick Around

So, Datalink, just so I am understanding you correctly, you are NOT in favour of Ignite TV.
Am I correct here?
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not really opposed to it or in favour of it at the present time.  I think there are some poor design aspects to it, one of which is the reliance on wifi.  Personal opinion, that's a huge mistake, given that every company seems to be pushing wifi enabled devices.  But, hey, what do I know?  Given that RG-6 cabling is usually readily available in homes, maybe Rogers should have considered MoCA adapters to connect the Xi6 set top boxes instead of wifi which is definitely problematic for a good number of customers.  We use Bell Satellite and an Nvidia Shield which is connected via house ethernet as I won't let it run via wifi.  Both of those are rock solid, and I do notice when my neighbour changes her 5 Ghz wifi up to the 149 to 161 channel range that I use.  2.4 Ghz networks in my neighbourhood are a complete write off as there are at least 50 other 2.4 Ghz networks nearby.  And now the 5 Ghz band is starting to get busy with hidden networks from nearby Rogers XB6 modems.  So, I'm not totally opposed to the Ignite TV service, I'm opposed to an uncontrolled explosion of wifi applications that will eventually degrade everyone's wifi performance.  The big picture is that there is only so much wifi bandwidth to go around, so, more devices and networks means less bandwidth for all concerned.  But, that's just my opinion 😞

JWCalvert
I Plan to Stick Around

What will be the bits and pieces and topology in my house if I buy Ignite TV ???

I currently have a Hitron CGN3 modem wifi router installed & it is fed by the COAX from the street.

It feeds a number of CAT6 cables to various computers, printers, Denon Receiver, and a Cisco Linksys E1000 Router.

That is how I get ethernet to everything.

I also have COAX running to my main NextBox and also a small cable box (DT50?) with a small TV in another room.

Big Question:  What will change?

Will I lose the Hitron; what replaces it?

Will I lose the DT50; what replaces it?

I may have more questions as I understand this.

Thanks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JWCalvert wrote:

wifi or cat6

I am considering getting Ignite TV. Can someone explain the network structure choices to my TVs that I will have in my house: wifi or cat6? or both?

Many homes are not pre-wired with Cat 6 so the Ignite TV cable boxes were designed to work with both Wi-Fi and Ethernet.  The Xi6 cable boxes and the XB6 gateway were also designed to work together, to the point that once the XB6 is configured, all that you need to do is power up the Xi6 set-top box and it will connect to the XB6 and automatically pair with the private Wi-Fi network.  Rogers can also provide your with Ignite WiFi pods to extend the WiFi coverage in your home.

The Xi6 set-top box also works fine with an Ethernet connection.  The XB6 gateway does not have many LAN ports so you will either need to provide your own LAN switch.  The Rogers tech can also provide you with one (if required) if they have it in their truck.

I have connected the set-top boxes through Ethernet and by WiFi directly to the XB6.  I have also connected the Xi6 to a high-end consumer Wi-Fi mesh network and to an enterprise-grade Access Point.  I have also used my own router with the XB6 in Bridge Mode.  Ignite TV is pretty flexible and works well in many configurations but you need to make sure that both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols are functioning properly.  Also keep in mind that the only configuration that Rogers officially supports is one where the set-top boxes are connected (by Ethernet or Wi-Fi) directly to the XB6 with the XB6 in gateway mode.

I have had both the Arris and Technicolor versions of the Xi6 set-top box and I don't have any reason to prefer one other the other.  I'm almost positive that I have successfully connected both to Wi-Fi on a 5 GHz DFS channel.

The choice of the Arris vs Technicolor XB6 is also up for debate.  Technically on paper, the certification documents say that the Technicolor XB6 has superior Wi-Fi performance but I have not noticed much of a difference in practical testing.  Some people (who have had a Puma 6-based modem) have emotional reasons for wanting the Technicolor XB6 since it uses a Broadcom chipset.  However, the Puma 7 chipset is not bad and if you have the Ignite Home Phone service, the Arris actually has a better telephony implementation.  Both gateways look the same externally and have identical admin UI's but internally, they are based on totally different hardware and have totally different software stacks... and both have their quirks.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Ignite TV system is comprised of an XB6 modem and one or more Xi6-A or Xi6-T set top boxes. 

Everything that you use now, including the Hitron modem, the nextbox and DT-50 (?) will be replaced by the XB6 and Xi6 set top boxes. 

If you had a Home Phone modem, that would also be removed.

As I indicated earlier, an Xi6 set top box can connect via ethernet, but, it looks for a wifi connection to the modem.  If you have a tv in a location where there isn't any ethernet ports available, then the set top box runs off of wifi. 

The XB6 modem has two ethernet ports and two telephone ports, thats it.  So, if you're running all four ports on your Hitron modem, you'll have to install a gigabit switch for more ports.  The installation tech might give you one for nothing, not sure on the cost aspect of this.  The install tech apparently takes from an hour to hour and a half to install the system.  That includes ripping out the old equipment and installing the modem and set top boxes and connecting the set top boxes.  

You can run the XB6 in Bridge modem and use your own router, but, that configuration is not supported by Rogers, so you would have to be able to switch back to Gateway mode for any troubleshooting.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JWCalvert wrote:

What will be the bits and pieces and topology in my house if I buy Ignite TV ???

I currently have a Hitron CGN3 modem wifi router installed & it is fed by the COAX from the street.

It feeds a number of CAT6 cables to various computers, printers, Denon Receiver, and a Cisco Linksys E1000 Router.

That is how I get ethernet to everything.

I also have COAX running to my main NextBox and also a small cable box (DT50?) with a small TV in another room.

Big Question:  What will change?

Will I lose the Hitron; what replaces it?

Will I lose the DT50; what replaces it?

I may have more questions as I understand this.

Thanks

ALL of your old Rogers equipment will need to be replaced; none of it is compatible with Ignite TV.  Your Hitron CGN3 will be replaced with either an Arris or Technicolor XB6 gateway.  Your Nextbox and DT50 will be replaced with an Xi6 set-top box.  The Ignite set-top box only has an HDMI output so your will need a converter if you have an older TV with analog inputs.  Ignite TV is meant for use with modern HD and 4K televisions.